Killer Cell Immunoglobulin-like Receptor Genotype and Haplotype Investigation of Natural Killer Cell

Allyann

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Killer Cell Immunoglobulin-like Receptor Genotype and Haplotype Investigation of Natural Killer Cells from an Australian Population of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Patients

T. K. Huth, E. W. Brenu, D. R. Staines, and S. M. Marshall-Gradisnik

Abstract:
http://www.la-press.com/killer-cell...r-genotype-and-haplotype-invest-article-a5702

Full Article:
http://www.la-press.com/redirect_fi...enotype-and-Haplotype-Invest.pdf&fileType=pdf
They have been digging deep into NK cells for quite some time.

This is one of those findings that I don't know how to interpret.

They were looking for a wide range of genetic alterations in the KIR receptors that turn on NK cells when they encounter pathogens...Since NK cell killing ability is reduced in ME/CFS it makes sense that MECFS patients might have gene variations that reduce their ability to kill other cells.

They found a lower frequency of one type of KIR gene variant. That apparently suggests there could be a genetic component to the reduced NK cell functioning in some people. I don't imagine that it was found in that many fewer patients than healthy controls; it was barely significant. It may be a piece of the puzzle but I think there's much more to this....

I still hearken back to the idea that something in the blood is turning off the NK cells.

They regulate the killing function of these cells by interacting with major histocompatibility class I molecules, which are expressed on all nucleated cell types"

_________________________________________-

Killer cell immunoglobulin-like receptor (KIR) genes encode for activating and inhibitory surface receptors, which are correlated with the regulation of Natural Killer (NK) cell cytotoxic activity. Reduced NK cell cytotoxic activity has been consistently reported in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) patients, and KIR haplotypes and allelic polymorphism remain to be investigated.

The aim of this article was to conduct a pilot study to examine KIR genotypes, haplotypes, and allelic polymorphism in CFS/ME patients and nonfatigued controls (NFCs). Comparison of KIR and allelic polymorphism frequencies revealed no significant differences between 20 CFS/ME patients and 20 NFCs. A lower frequency of the telomeric A/B motif (P < 0.05) was observed in CFS/ME patients compared with NFCs.

This pilot study is the first to report the differences in the frequency of KIR on the telomeric A/B motif in CFS/ME patients. Further studies with a larger CFS/ME cohort are required to validate these results.

bobby

Comparison of KIR and allelic polymorphism frequencies revealed no significant differences between 20 CFS/ME patients and 20 NFCs.
this makes me think they didn't find anything particularly significant? which can be important too, knowing for sure that a hypothesis is wrong.

Seven

I wonder if they soubgroup at this point so do this stodies on the patients that usually strugle to raise NK, I know patients where the NK might not be low.

Or always that you do NK studies to do 3 groups cfs w low nk, CFS normal NK, and controls.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources