Malaria Just "Rediscovered" North American MALARIA

Crappy

http://m.phys.org/news/2016-02-white-tailed-deer-malaria-first-ever-native.html
Now believed to have existed millions of years in the Americas. Could this have a relationship to our plague?? Onset with chills, fever, night sweats, etc... This is how mine started. To my knowledge Drs never have considered a mutated/adapted parasitic infection? Why would they? Malaria doesn't exist in the West. Only DNA fragment tests would reveal it. Or maybe, I don't know what I'm talking about :/

Merry

Interesting. Thanks, @Crappy. No evidence, though, that this infection has spread to humans. In most infected deer the level of infection is "cryptic." (I'm delighted to discover this use of "cryptic.")

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
http://m.phys.org/news/2016-02-white-tailed-deer-malaria-first-ever-native.html
Now believed to have existed millions of years in the Americas. Could this have a relationship to our plague?? Onset with chills, fever, night sweats, etc... This is how mine started. To my knowledge Drs never have considered a mutated/adapted parasitic infection? Why would they? Malaria doesn't exist in the West. Only DNA fragment tests would reveal it. Or maybe, I don't know what I'm talking about :/
What an amazing story. Malaria in deer in the US - who would have every thought?

"In 1967, a renowned malaria researcher reported he'd discovered malaria in a single deer in Texas. But the received understanding was that "malaria wasn't supposed to be in mammals in the New World," says Schall, who has studied malaria for decades. "It was like the guy was reporting he saw Big Foot," and no other discoveries were made after that."

It doesn't seem to be in humans but if its in deer why is it not in mosquito's?

This is good news:

"there's a sudden surge in interest in mosquito biology across the United States," says Schall. "This is a reminder of the importance of parasite surveys and basic natural history."

is good news. The Simmaron Research Foundation is studying insect-borne illnesses in ME/CFS; it's kind of surprising that no one has done that yet.

Merry

Malaria was a big problem in the US until the invention, and widespread use of, DDT and also increased wealth in the US that meant citizens could afford to screen windows, etc. Now that I've about this article more I don't understand the claim that malaria was not thought to reside in mammals in the New World. Mammals other than humans? Unfortunately I'm not sure I have the brain energy at the moment to re-read the article.

Good to hear that Simmaron is studying the connection between insect-borne illnesses and ME/CFS.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources