Medscape Gets it Right About PEM and ME/CFS

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Short but sweet ...and aimed at doctors

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/872020?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=223754CV
Biologic Origins of ME/CFS

Chronic fatigue syndrome is in the news. It's now known as myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). Its vague, varied symptoms have often been dismissed as psychological, but now evidence suggests that its origins are biological, possibly involving chronic immune activation. New studies attribute the illness to a complex neuroinflammatory process that affects the brain, autonomic nervous system, and energy metabolism.

Also, it is important to note that chronic fatigue is not the universal hallmark symptom for this condition. Rather, almost all of these patients experience a phenomenon called "postexertional malaise." They react to physical or mental exertion by what is best described as "crashing." Along with the fatigue, patients can experience cognitive difficulties, sleep disturbances, headache, muscle pain, and flu-like symptoms that can last several days for each episode.

If you think your patient may have this condition, start by asking for a diary, documenting activities and symptoms for a week or two.

ShyestofFlies

So today I accidentally stumbled upon the fact that WebMD owns medscape. It's odd one seems to do pretty poor for ME/CFS info and one seems to do better? Maybe its a sign of good things to come...

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources