milk protein intolerance

Edie

very readable article from ME Research UK about Milk Protein Intolerance.
http://www.meresearch.org.uk/news/milk-intolerance/
Thank you for passing on to us this important article. I don't have ME/CFS but I do have Fibromyalgia. Food allergies have been a big problem for me, dairy
being the worst. If I'm exposed to dairy, I'm sick for a good 3 days till it clears my system. I suffered greatly in the first few years of my illness because
all my symptoms were just associated to this strange illness that had no cure. I believe it was my Naturopath Doctor who first recognised my food intolerances. I then started to really pay attention to what I was eating and how I felt the next day. You cannot believe how easy it is to stay off of even your favorite food when you realise how sick they make you feel. I later found a Doctor of Chinese medicine who did 'NAET' that cleared me of allergies. I've also had NAET treatments done by an acupuncturist. For those that are interested, just google NAET. I was able to resume eating the foods I was allergic to just 25 hours after the treatment. Whenever I start having headaches or irritable bowel for any length of time I think ALLERGY and pack up my suspect foods etc
and go get tested and cleared of whatever I'm reacting to.

ShyestofFlies

Interestingly a lot of people outside the "west" - particularly in East Asia are very commonly dairy intolerant - offhand not sure if it is primarily lactose or casein or both.

Dairy is a very common thing in food and a very common intolerance in the US at least. I determined it was related to my ibs long before my diagnoses of anything, and used my reactions to it as part of the evidence for my parents that I should be allowed to become a strict vegan up from vegetarian around age 14. I am unsure if would effect any of my other issues now, my ibs started around 9-10.

((What is the difference between a strict vegan and a vegan? People joke about - For me it meant not only did I not eat any animal products, but I also did not eat anything that disclosed "possible trace contamination" with animal products (for several years) or disclosed it was made on machinery which also was used for animal products (for a while). I do not think this is a common definition for "strict vegan" so I wouldn't go touting it around town. ;) Overtime I have relaxed that and found it hasn't made much of a difference, but I do believe cutting dairy out has helped me.))

Over the years I have messed up a few times and ate something with dairy on it and once in a resturant was served something with milk in it by accident and sufferedworse ibs then usual. For the record, I do not know what my ibs labeling is but I experience the symptoms daily. When I was younger it was almost exclusively ibs d, now it is mixed ibs so there is no way to win with treating the symptoms OTC.

Here is where things get kind of weird and I try not to tell people this cause they are liable to think I am craz(ier than I am)... I get topical/skin reactions to dairy, mostly from my skin touching dairy. Itchy, redness?, and swelling. Or at least I did the last time I tried not quite 10 years ago. Not interested in seeing if I still do, not even for science. :)

Edie

Interestingly a lot of people outside the "west" - particularly in East Asia are very commonly dairy intolerant - offhand not sure if it is primarily lactose or casein or both.

Dairy is a very common thing in food and a very common intolerance in the US at least. I determined it was related to my ibs long before my diagnoses of anything, and used my reactions to it as part of the evidence for my parents that I should be allowed to become a strict vegan up from vegetarian around age 14. I am unsure if would effect any of my other issues now, my ibs started around 9-10.

((What is the difference between a strict vegan and a vegan? People joke about - For me it meant not only did I not eat any animal products, but I also did not eat anything that disclosed "possible trace contamination" with animal products (for several years) or disclosed it was made on machinery which also was used for animal products (for a while). I do not think this is a common definition for "strict vegan" so I wouldn't go touting it around town. ;) Overtime I have relaxed that and found it hasn't made much of a difference, but I do believe cutting dairy out has helped me.))

Over the years I have messed up a few times and ate something with dairy on it and once in a resturant was served something with milk in it by accident and sufferedworse ibs then usual. For the record, I do not know what my ibs labeling is but I experience the symptoms daily. When I was younger it was almost exclusively ibs d, now it is mixed ibs so there is no way to win with treating the symptoms OTC.

Here is where things get kind of weird and I try not to tell people this cause they are liable to think I am craz(ier than I am)... I get topical/skin reactions to dairy, mostly from my skin touching dairy. Itchy, redness?, and swelling. Or at least I did the last time I tried not quite 10 years ago. Not interested in seeing if I still do, not even for science. :)

You are not crazy. Whatever you put on your skin gets absorbed by the body. When I develop a new allergy, I always bring my skin creams & ointments to be tested because I can be using them for years with no problem and all of a sudden I can be allergic to them. I'm puzzled that I have never been allergic to any meat. Perhaps someone out there knows why.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources