Monteleukast (Singulair) Reduces Neuroinflammation too.

Remy

Administrator
As human life expectancy has improved rapidly in industrialized societies, age-related cognitive impairment presents an increasing challenge.

Targeting histopathological processes that correlate with age-related cognitive declines, such as neuroinflammation, low levels of neurogenesis, disrupted blood–brain barrier and altered neuronal activity, might lead to structural and functional rejuvenation of the aged brain.

Here we show that a 6-week treatment of young (4 months) and old (20 months) rats with montelukast, a marketed anti-asthmatic drug antagonizing leukotriene receptors, reduces neuroinflammation, elevates hippocampal neurogenesis and improves learning and memory in old animals.

By using gene knockdown and knockout approaches, we demonstrate that the effect is mediated through inhibition of the GPR17 receptor.

This work illustrates that inhibition of leukotriene receptor signalling might represent a safe and druggable target to restore cognitive functions in old individuals and paves the way for future clinical translation of leukotriene receptor inhibition for the treatment of dementias.

http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms9466

TJ_Fitz

I've been put on montelukast to control nasal/sinus inflammation. I'm starting on it today. I'm interested to see what happens as a result.

TJ_Fitz

Perhaps take with food? That's rarely a problem I have with any kind of food, drug, or supplement, so I'm not sure what else to say.

Raghav

I take it with food. I have now reduced it to 5mg and it has subsided. I will slowly increase it to 10mg. Thanks for the help.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources