Name Game

Tammy7

I'm still surprised........maybe I shouldn't be...........about how many people still havn't even heard of CFS/ME. I would estimate that roughly 75% of the people that I tell about CFS........have never ever heard of it.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Right or wrong, I hide behind “dysautonomia" or “neurologic disease”. People seem to respect those, and I’m simply not up to the challenge of converting people to belief in ME/CFS. I tried that, and it always ended in frustration and exhaustion.

I’ve learned (the hard way) that the more I try to explain, the more insecure I sound and the more I’m met with disbelief. Like @Lissa, I’ve learned to “cut short” my explanations. Although this approach feels rude at times, I have to remember that I don’t owe anyone an explanation just because they ask a question.

While hiding makes me feel a little guilty, I remind myself that a real name has not yet been agreed upon. When it is, I may have to reevaluate. For now, I can’t really get behind SEID - seems a temporary label slapped on us until more answers are found, and I’m starting to think answers are coming soon. :D
It may all end up being some form of dysautonomia!
You may just be ahead of us...o_O

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Thanks for the nice comment! I was a little tentative about posting that, as I feel like a giant chicken :chicken: and am not advocating for us. Perhaps if I was more than housebound/bed bound, I’d have the energy to do so. But for now, I have to reserve energy every way I can - and that includes not getting into debates with the few people I do see when I’m out.

I’m holding out for a miracle, even though some days that seems awfully far away.
I agree - don't waste your energy on something that's not going to make a difference anyway. Now if you were talking to the President or Francis Collins I would very strongly suggest you say ME/CFS! Absent them - I say do what works for you. The best thing you can do is take care of yourself...

Julie G

Thanks for the nice comment! I was a little tentative about posting that, as I feel like a giant chicken :chicken: and am not advocating for us. Perhaps if I was more than housebound/bed bound, I’d have the energy to do so. But for now, I have to reserve energy every way I can - and that includes not getting into debates with the few people I do see when I’m out.

I’m holding out for a miracle, even though some days that seems awfully far away.
At least we have the internet and forums, so when we're house/bed bound we don't feel completely isolated. We have some important connections with other patients & understand each others difficulties while research is being done. This gives us a purpose and feeling of accomplishment in conditions not conducive to traditional accomplishments!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources