New Medicalxpress article promotes PACE research

Merry

Below the article is a "feedback to editor" button. I will try to compose feedback in the morning. I don't want to get worked up before bedtime.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Below the article is a "feedback to editor" button. I will try to compose feedback in the morning. I don't want to get worked up before bedtime.
:cool:

I am encouraged in that I think that they are being more careful even if they are giving it a more positive spin than it deserves. I like that Medical Xpress stated there is no cure for ME/CFS - that's good!

It's good that Sharpe talked about a pill; it's not good that he's suggesting that normal activity is possible - I guess he said "toward" normal activity...

"There is always hope for a simpler treatment in a pill, but we are not near that yet. So, at present treatments that work to rehabilitate patients toward normal activity remain the best ones," said Dr. Michael Sharpe, a study co-author and professor of psychological medicine at the University of Oxford in England.

I Like that increases in activity have to be really slowly. On the other hand I don't buy GET. On the other hand I am really undisciplined in my pacing - I tend to overdo and crash, etc.

"The key to maximizing the chance that [these treatments] will work is to first achieve a stable, steady and manageable level of activity, and only then make increases in activity, very slowly," said Sharpe.

It's good that they acknowledged

"not everyone was helped and said more work is needed to find other beneficial therapies."

Another expert said cognitive behavioral therapy can help someone handle emotional fallout linked to sleeplessness and lack of energy—two complaints commonly associated with the illness.

The above was OK with me as it linked physical problems with understandable emotional issues.

While I would much rather have an article on low funding or a treatment that REALLY helps I have the feeling that there are more qualifiers in this article than usual (????)

Empty

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources