Nutritional Genomics and My Complete Recovery

Nutritional Genomics and My Complete Recovery

Croatoan

Croatoan submitted a new resource:

Nutritional Genomics and My Complete Recovery - How knowing my genetics guided my recovery through diet and supplements.

Symptoms
  • Chronic Fatigue
    • My ME sysmptoms fluctuated but there was 9 month where I was be ridden.
    • My mother was diagnosed with ME by the Mayo Clinic in the 90's
  • OCD/Anxiety/Depression (Cycling but mostly anxiety)
    • Hospitalized Twice
    • Currently on Disability for Mood Disorder
  • Dermatitis
  • IBS-D
  • Parathesia (MS?)
    • There was a possible MS Diagnosis once but could not afford the MRI
    • Difficulty Swallowing as well

Read more about this resource...

Croatoan

I don't know what the policy is per @Cort for posting the same thing twice but it's generally a no-no. Besides that it is confusing for members, it means answers are split around and does not help you.

http://www.cortjohnson.org/forums/threads/nutritional-genomics-and-my-complete-recovery.3737/

Wow, you are really being, well...

Cort told me to post it here, and I don't know why I could not see that last one. Why the heck do you think I would post it twice in the same place on purpose? What would be the reason for that? Look at you following me around the forum, running to the authority figure again, trying, and failing, at being a snitch and a bully.

This is the attitude that you bring from PR. Instead of helping people you try to aggregate them until they leave.

Suziesue

Hi, I have no idea about these tests that show genetic mutations, but I read somewhere that they're quite meaningless because epigenetics are involved in the process but not taken into account by these tests. Can someone clarify? Thanks

Remy

Administrator
Hi, I have no idea about these tests that show genetic mutations, but I read somewhere that they're quite meaningless because epigenetics are involved in the process but not taken into account by these tests. Can someone clarify? Thanks
I think that the truth is that they are like most all tests...best taken in context with all the other testing and the full clinical picture.

There is some robust evidence for certain SNPs (MTHFR comes to mind) and less for other SNPs. The best thing to do is to review the literature surrounding SNPs to see how strong the evidence is and then decide how much weight to assign.

There is controversy over the impact of certain SNPs too (CBS) and it is wise to become familiar with all sides of the debate, especially before forking over large sums of money on a "genetic" supplement program.

There are some very reasonably priced interpretation services out there though and I would encourage people to do 23andme...if only to have the raw data for your own use before the FDA finds a way to shut them down completely.

I also think that this area is a space to watch and will likely be more developed and reliable in the future. Right now, it's for those who don't mind a bit more work and risk in interpreting often ambiguous data.

Just my 0.02. :)

h3ro

Doesn't look like a complete recovery to me if you still have to maintain yourself by taking supplements and following a low histamine diet.

Maisie

I am intrigued by your results--enough to get tested by 23 and Me as well. Can you please tell me how you were able to come up with appropriate treatments from the data provided? Did they suggest or did you have to see out the supplements on your own?

Thank you.

Raba

Croatoan. Excellent. I got the 23 and me data. How do I go
about turning this into what to take. Did you see a doc. ?Anyone who can help with this in PSL Florida area?

Grateful for ANY pointers.

Remy

Administrator
Croatoan. Excellent. I got the 23 and me data. How do I go
about turning this into what to take. Did you see a doc. ?Anyone who can help with this in PSL Florida area?

Grateful for ANY pointers.
Please watch this short video before you purchase any genetic interpretation reports.

Obviously, Lynch promotes his product as the best, but his criticisms of other programs are on the mark.

And remember that genetics is just one very small piece of a mostly obscured puzzle at this point.

Croatoan is no longer a member of this forum.

lookin'good

I had a lot of improvement doing Dr. Amy Yasko's protocol using her genetic testing and stool tests and urine tests etc. and having her interpret them and guide me through the process of using the supplements to go around the "traffic jams" caused by my genetic SNPs. I was very severe (Canadian Consensus Criteria) for 5 years and it brought me from feeling like I wanted to die every day to actually feel like living was worthwhile. I could be up and around in the house (always having the couch nearby or recliner for very frequent rest) and then became able to go to church and to the grocery if I used my mobility scooter, and not have PEM as long as I didn't do it more than once a week. This took about 18 months, and it was expensive, but I believe it was very worth it for me. Although I haven't been able to get well enough to go back to work, my quality of life improved so very much. If I had the finances to be able to continue the full program I think I might have improved quite a bit more.

After I started feeling better I cut back on the program because of the expense. I just couldn't maintain it. But I recently found a link to the shortcut program that the late Rick K (I can't think of his last name now) and Dr. Amy came up with. This is cheaper and I had started to use it again, but my son got cancer and I was trying to help him with expenses so I let that go- not a good idea. When I am off it for a month or months it catches up to me and I relapse.

If someone I knew was interested in doing something with epigentics I would recommend testing done on Dr, Amy Yasko's site Holisticheal.com. If at all possible, I would recommend doing her full program- especially if you are severely ill because the results will probably be better, quicker, but if you can't afford it, you can't afford it.

With the shortcut program it is a lot easier and cheaper. I think the shortcut program is still be beneficial. You could do the genetic testing from Holisticheal.com and then use the results and follow the chart for the shortcut program.

Her books are extremely helpful in understanding the why behind epigenetics and her protocol.

Interesting to note that many people are aware of their MTHFR status which, if defective, requires more methyl donors and the need of methyl-tetra-hydra-folate as opposed to folic acid. But comparatively few are aware of their COMT status which, if defective, indicates that your body has a harder time dealing with methyl donors -so MTHFR status may indicate needing methyl-B12 but the COMT status may indicate that it's not a good idea to supplement with lots of methyl-B12, that hydroxy and/or adenosyl B12 might be safer. Apparently a sweet spot has to be found to supply enough methyl donors but not too many.

IMHO supplementing according to your genetics is a good base to start from and can help the other protocols that you add to work better.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources