Parenting with a chronic illness

Tina

I am 48 years old and I am the parent of a 13 and a 14 year old. Our lives forever changed on June 8, 2008. I became ill and never recovered. My children were 5 and 7 at the time. They mostly have no memory of me not being sick.

The last year has been really hard and as my body continues to betray me and my children are experiencing their teenage years and I find that it is getting harder. I think it is the guilt more than anything else.

This site discussed parenting with chronic illness. It is mainly a lupus website, but the principles are the same. I so identify with these women and their struggles.
http://www.mollysfund.org/2014/01/10-tips-for-parents-living-with-chronic-disease/

Tammy7

Tina..............my heart goes out to you. My daughter was around 12 when I got sick. I was a single parent (Divorced). It was sooooooooooooooo hard and I ended up having to send her to her Dad who lived states away. One of the hardest things I've had to do. She did come back to live with me when she turned 16.....and I was not bedbound by then. I understand the guilt thing too.....although my daughter always gave me a talk about that and was very reassuring. That was some years ago. I'm glad that you found a site where other's can really relate about parenting with a chronic illness.

Last edited:

Tina

Tina..............my heart goes out to you. My daughter was around 12 when I got sick. I was a single parent (Divorced). It was sooooooooooooooo hard and I ended up having to send her to her Dad who lived states away. One of the hardest things I've had to do. She did come back to live with me when she turned 16.....and I was not bedbound by then. I understand the guilt thing too.....although my daughter always gave me a talk about that and was very reassuring. That was some years ago. I'm glad that you found a site where other's can really relate about parenting with a chronic illness.
Tammy, thank you for your encouraging words. My husband is here, but really struggles to understand what is going on. He is also active duty military so at various times he is just not here. --But then again, my husband is another source of guilt.

Tina, thanks for sharing the link. I'm the 47-year-old mother of a 12-year-old girl. I became ill when she was just two. My symptoms have gotten worse with each year. I struggle with the guilt every day and hang onto the hope that one day she'll get to do and see all the things I had hoped to do and see with her. I also have guilt now as my husband works two jobs to make up for my lost income. I wish you strength and patience dealing with your teens (thank heavens I only have one!!). And, as Tammy said, it is good to have found a site where other parents can truly understand.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources