Resource icon

Preparing TENS Leads to Use in Vagus Nerve Stimulation of Ear 2015-06-16

Steve

I bot the Alpha Stim M new on EBay, 1/3 off but wtf expensive. Pain will do that. I've used it 1-2 times daily for two months with ear clips for FM pain, zero effect, very disappointing. Have messed with pulse rate and wave stuff a bit, just no effect for me. First time I got a bit tired and nauseous, probably should go high again on setting until that effect and back off. Will continue until my brain is fried since I bot it LOL. The little electrode stimuli do stop specific non fibro pain like my bicep tendinitis for two days. Will keep you posted. If anyone gets help from electronic hackin, let us know.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I bot the Alpha Stim M new on EBay, 1/3 off but wtf expensive. Pain will do that. I've used it 1-2 times daily for two months with ear clips for FM pain, zero effect, very disappointing. Have messed with pulse rate and wave stuff a bit, just no effect for me. First time I got a bit tired and nauseous, probably should go high again on setting until that effect and back off. Will continue until my brain is fried since I bot it LOL. The little electrode stimuli do stop specific non fibro pain like my bicep tendinitis for two days. Will keep you posted. If anyone gets help from electronic hackin, let us know.
Thanks for letting us know Steve. Sorry it hasn't worked out!

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Update: okay, so I've been doing this now twice a day since April 8 or so with a Bio Tuner. So about six weeks. The Bio Tuner isn't a TENS but I think they have the same effect

I've really noticed an improvement in my PEM levels. A couple of weeks ago I was super depressed and anxious and furious at being so limited. I stomped around the local park avoiding eye contact with anyone except dogs for 40 mins. Didn't even care if I had payback I was so fed up.

No payback. Walked 30 mins x 2 on Friday night when I went to the football (exhausting, noisy plus we lost). No payback.

Today I got the decobwebber out and did five rooms with breaks inbetween. Literally a year's worth of cobwebs. Tested before and after using one of those heartrate variability apps where you put your fingertip over the camera. Both times it said I was low stress. I don't know if it's ever said that before. Certainly not after doing something with arms stretched overhead.

I think there might be something to this. I don't trust that I won't go downhill again though, not after 17 years. But who knows? Maybe I've found a major component, at least for me. Maybe it doesn't fix anything but it manages symptoms to keep some sort of stability.

I'm not sure how VNS would heal an infected vagus as such though? Maybe VNS just helps it to not have a nervous breakdown every 5 mins.
I'll bet not having a "nervous breakdown" :banghead: every couple of minutes helps....How is it going now?

SueS

I'll bet not having a "nervous breakdown" :banghead: every couple of minutes helps....How is it going now?

I feel overall that I have stabilised a fair bit ... a lot, really. Having said that, I'm still mainly housebound. But I have been working from home a bit too. Last week, I felt pretty clear-headed and cooked and did some writing and pretended I was normal.

But then a super stressful day two days ago and I'm on the couch today stressing my guts out.

So personally it's been really good for me but no fix or nuthin'. At least, not yet ☺

Anton

Hey everybody! I've bought the TENs thing for my wife (she is ME) and tried first it on myself with the following settings 20 HZ 100 ms and 1 second on and 1 second off for 15 min in general. Actually I didn't expect such a strong effect. I wouldn't say it was great. For the right ear I felt like something is happening with my heart and some symptoms of the upcoming unconsciousness. As for the left ear I felt like something is happening with my nerves. I can't explain even. I'm a little afraid to try it on my wife. Where can I read about vagus nerve stimulation for ME? Which ear is the best to use, which parameters to set?

Abrin

Update: okay, so I've been doing this now twice a day since April 8 or so with a Bio Tuner. So about six weeks. The Bio Tuner isn't a TENS but I think they have the same effect

I've really noticed an improvement in my PEM levels. A couple of weeks ago I was super depressed and anxious and furious at being so limited. I stomped around the local park avoiding eye contact with anyone except dogs for 40 mins. Didn't even care if I had payback I was so fed up.

No payback. Walked 30 mins x 2 on Friday night when I went to the football (exhausting, noisy plus we lost). No payback.

Today I got the decobwebber out and did five rooms with breaks inbetween. Literally a year's worth of cobwebs. Tested before and after using one of those heartrate variability apps where you put your fingertip over the camera. Both times it said I was low stress. I don't know if it's ever said that before. Certainly not after doing something with arms stretched overhead.

I think there might be something to this. I don't trust that I won't go downhill again though, not after 17 years. But who knows? Maybe I've found a major component, at least for me. Maybe it doesn't fix anything but it manages symptoms to keep some sort of stability.

I'm not sure how VNS would heal an infected vagus as such though? Maybe VNS just helps it to not have a nervous breakdown every 5 mins.

Do you want to hear something really funny? I just realized actually have a Biotuner around this place somewhere. I think I've had it for over five years or so...something around that.

When I originally bought my Biotuner it did come with TENS pads and the instructions did say that it could be used as a TENS machine.

How did you end up fixing the leads so it worked with the vagus nerve with your Biotuner?

SueS

I think it's possible to be able to buy the clips to plug in the old one? I clip one to the tragus on my left ear (that's the bone bit that juts out along the side of the ear, closest to the jaw).

It's funny to come upon this today as I just finished having a session with this, after a month of slowly stopping using it.

That post I wrote above was probably a lucky fluke that i didnt crash. I have crashed since then ... but they are of lower duration these days. Whether that's due to the vagus stim or the moon in Uranus or some other bloody thing, who knows? ;)

Still, if you've already got it, it couldn't hurt picking up some clips and giving it a whirl. I definitely find it helpful, even though it has not stopped the horrible anxiety that pops up a lot, and most horrendously in a flare. That's why I used it before and it did help.

Abrin

Still, if you've already got it, it couldn't hurt picking up some clips and giving it a whirl. I definitely find it helpful, even though it has not stopped the horrible anxiety that pops up a lot, and most horrendously in a flare. That's why I used it before and it did help.

Thanks!

When it comes to anxiety, what I've found really helpful (which YMMV with) is L-Theanine. I've noticed that all brands do not work the same for me and I've only really had success with is the SISU brand.

I also love the fact that they have chewable tablets as I am sure just like me, the majority of people here already have to swallow way too many pills as it is.

Paw

Powder City's works well for me. Theanine is one of the few supplements that actually tastes pretty good, so it's easy to just swallow a quarter teaspoon in bulk. I also use it as a capsule filler in certain stacks.

SueS

I was taking True Calm for a while, a blend of GABA and other stuff that includes theanine. I stopped taking it because ... who knows? :) That's a great idea about using it to fill up capsules, @Paw.

Paw

I was taking True Calm for a while, a blend of GABA and other stuff that includes theanine. I stopped taking it because ... who knows?
That sounds good. GABA is my friend if I don't overdo it. A lot of (healthier) people use theanine in stimulative stacks to keep the jitters down. I use it more at night.

Sleepyhead

Hello Tandrsc,

I am about to order a TENS unit with ear electrodes and I'm wondering if you're still using the TENS machine for tVNS.

I'm confused as to whether I can simply use the ear clip electrodes on my left ear, or if I need to follow the instructions outlined on the PDF Auricular Electrode instructions PDF. Did you take apart your ear clip or did you just use it directly?

I also see that you used just one clip. I'm curious as to why you didn't use a cathode and an anode.

My main question is - are you still getting any benefit?

Thanks so much! I'd love to hear from you.

tandrsc

Hi @Sleepyhead

Yes, I am still using the TENS machine and I think it still helps - I am worse if I don't used it. I use it for 15 mins 4 times a day.

I use ear clips rather than take the electrode apart. I use 2 clips (anode and cathode) as per the picture at http://www.healthrising.org/forums/threads/preparing-tens-leads-to-use-in-vagus-nerve-stimulation-of-ear.2653/#post-10082

I only do my left ear these days as I don't feel any extra benefit from both ears.

My settings are pulse rate = 20Hz, pulse width = 100 microseconds, continuous mode.

Last edited:

Sleepyhead

Thank you! I had no idea it was so easy. I will be using it for horrific insomnia. I don't think it's supposed to help with daytime exhaustion. Even if it helps a little, I'll be happy. I'll let folks know how it's helping. I'm at 20% or less of full capacity.

Steve

There is a new FDA approved external vagus nerve stimulator for cluster headaches. I don't know expense or any info, seems to be programmed as it leaves factory. Could be interesting.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources