Research on FA Metabolism and Carnitine in MECFS?

Remy

Administrator
Could anyone point me to any especially good studies on fatty acid metabolism in MECFS and carnitine levels?

I have the one that @Snow Leopard posted on the meldonium thread, but am wondering if there are notable others?

"Long-chain acylcarnitine deficiency in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Potential involvement of altered carnitine palmitoyltransferase-I activity."

Thanks!

Snow Leopard

Apart from the aforementioned,

Most of these should be available via Sci-Hub, or even Google Scholar.

Acylcarnitine Deficiency in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Amantadine and L-Carnitine Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Serum Levels of Carnitine in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Clinical Correlates
Brain Regions Involved in Fatigue Sensation: Reduced Acetylcarnitine Uptake into the Brain
Exploratory Open Label, Randomized Study of Acetyl- and Propionylcarnitine in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Low levels of serum acylcarnitine in chronic fatigue syndrome and chronic hepatitis type C, but not seen in other diseases.
Plasma and urinary carnitine and acylcarnitines in chronic fatigue syndrome (found no changes, but also did not look at specific carnitines)
Normal carnitine levels in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (From certain infamous Dutch researchers)
Double-blind, multicenter trial comparing acetyl l-carnitine with placebo in the treatment of fibromyalgia patients

Remy

Administrator
Apart from the aforementioned,

Most of these should be available via Sci-Hub, or even Google Scholar.

Acylcarnitine Deficiency in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Amantadine and L-Carnitine Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Serum Levels of Carnitine in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Clinical Correlates
Brain Regions Involved in Fatigue Sensation: Reduced Acetylcarnitine Uptake into the Brain
Exploratory Open Label, Randomized Study of Acetyl- and Propionylcarnitine in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Low levels of serum acylcarnitine in chronic fatigue syndrome and chronic hepatitis type C, but not seen in other diseases.
Plasma and urinary carnitine and acylcarnitines in chronic fatigue syndrome (found no changes, but also did not look at specific carnitines)
Normal carnitine levels in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (From certain infamous Dutch researchers)
Double-blind, multicenter trial comparing acetyl l-carnitine with placebo in the treatment of fibromyalgia patients
Thank you! That should keep me busy for a while...

I've got library privileges through my mom's university so that is helpful. Even better, they require students to come in to the library to pull their own articles, but the staff will do it for faculty and email the articles directly. It's such a delight that they make it so easy though I am sure they wonder what their early education faculty wants with all this science stuff!

Snow Leopard

Thank you! That should keep me busy for a while...

I've got library privileges through my mom's university so that is helpful. Even better, they require students to come in to the library to pull their own articles, but the staff will do it for faculty and email the articles directly. It's such a delight that they make it so easy though I am sure they wonder what their early education faculty wants with all this science stuff!

Some university libraries allow to access to academic articles remotely through logging in to a university library proxy. Not sure if this is applicable in your case, but it would be very convenient.

Remy

Administrator
Some university libraries allow to access to academic articles remotely through logging in to a university library proxy. Not sure if this is applicable in your case, but it would be very convenient.
Some articles are available this way and it is VERY convenient. Other ones have to be requested though the inter library loan system for some unknown, probably archaic, reason. But I'm lucky to have easy, free access so I try not to gripe too too much.

Strike me lucky

Do you know if theres a big difference between carnitine orally vs injectable carnitine? I have read where bodybuilders say injectable versions helps alot more with fat loss, but then its not a 100% accurate review as many take multiple substances at the same time. Plus i think cfsers want more improvement with function first, fat loss second maybe?

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources