Seeking suggestions for 24/7 HR monitoring with alarm

TJ_Fitz

From the reading I've done lately CFS about anaerobic threshold (AT), it seems very important for CFS patients to stay below that rate as much as possible.

I don't know what my AT is, but I've got an educated guess based on my experience and the formula shared in this page: http://www.cfidsselfhelp.org/librar...our-heart-rate-to-stay-inside-energy-envelope

The problem now is finding a practical way of monitoring my HR throughout the day, and getting alerted when I go over a certain rate. I'd prefer a watch-style monitor because of the size. Do you have a recommendation?

I know there are many fitness tracker watches out there now that monitor HR, but the trick is finding one with the upper limit alarm.

dejurgen

No EE needed to find one. But on the online souks it helps to know if the product likely works as advertised.

I entered "hart rat alarm" into the Amazon search windows.

I got quite a list but tried to sort according to quality, usability, likelihood it works as advertised...

General sorting considerations:
* Some watches require you to touch sensors with your fingers: not useful as alarm
* Search term alarm plus hart rate does not mean it gives an alarm on too high hart rate; it can be a clock alarm + a hart rate recording without alarm; when no good info is available I dropped them
* Both hart rate monitoring by watch and by strap can be faulty, even for expensive makes as I learned when being on a sort of fitness program so reviews count too
* (Chest) Straps are generally more precise but can become painful or irritating over time; dropped them as I believe the newer/better watches can do without + often difficult to "program"/set up
* Good manual and/or user support or simple interface are a bonus.

I retained 2 I *HOPE* are fit for purpose, few personal experience (but EE ;-))

https://www.amazon.com/AMEMO-Finger...d=1544289097&sr=8-2&keywords=heart+rate+alarm

Seems to be best buy, but fingerclip rather then watch: useful?
Cheap, plus oxygen saturation meter (nice bonus); seems programmable but no info on how good manual is and hard to find online.
"PARAMETER SETTINGS AND ALARM SETUP– You can set high / low alarm values for both SpO2 and PR, as well as turning alarm or beep on / off." I have a strong belief PR is pulse rate here.

https://www.amazon.com/LAD-WEATHER-...&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=heart+rate+alarm&psc=1
Watch with answer from seller on the site, so better custom support and online (fairly good) manual provided by manufacturer; Amazon unfortunately does not identify exact model so I think the correct manual is http://lad-weather.com/manuals/lad48im-en.pdf; see "5.4 Trip Mode - Heart Rate Zone Alert" in it plus "Heart Rate Alarm rings when heart rate is higher or lower than the preset heart rate zone " in Amazon discription page
Heart rate tracking by watch backplate: does by just wearing it (can work well if not too dry skin and good product; is recent plus good reviews)
-> Maybe ask specific questions to seller before buying.

-> When ordering, please go through Healthrising to Amazon ;-).
-> Please share experiences so others can enjoy this search more.

TJ_Fitz

Yes, searching Amazon, and probably other sites, is a hassle. That's why I was hoping for a personal recommendation from another forum user. The LAD watch does look promising, though. I actually own a pulse oximeter, and it can be useful, but it isn't what I'm looking for. But thanks for the suggestions!

dejurgen

Since you own a pulse oximeter, do you see commonly oxygen saturation values drop late night / early morning at least an hour before getting up? Would be interested in your experience.

Thx

TJ_Fitz

Since you own a pulse oximeter, do you see commonly oxygen saturation values drop late night / early morning at least an hour before getting up? Would be interested in your experience.

Thx

I don't know. I used to use it to check resting heart rate on rising, but never noticed O2 less than 90.

Not dead yet!

I don't know. I used to use it to check resting heart rate on rising, but never noticed O2 less than 90.

Yeah mine is always above 90 also. They tell me that's normal. But I got a facer when I was caregiving for my MIL. Hers was 97 and she was having trouble breathing in an "air hunger" way that was very familiar to me.

A pharmacy "clinic" MD told us to go to the hospital to have her airways cleared! That's when they use a strong albuterol type of airway expander on you (if you have asthma, you've had it probably). I forget if it was called breathing treatment, or something similar. I did a double take because I'd always been dismissed when I requested it, even though I have asthma, if my blood O2 was above 90.

Apparently being elderly changes their mind.

Abrin

I know there are many fitness tracker watches out there now that monitor HR, but the trick is finding one with the upper limit alarm.

Did you ever have any luck with this? I must admit I always hoped to find a watch based device that would do this but never have been able too.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources