Danesh

Does anyone else have sensory overload to the point where they have difficulty even being near a family member at home? Is this just my ME/CFS getting worse? My daughter's has been getting worse too. Or is there something else going on as well, neurologically?
I'm homebound, mostly bedbound, live with working husband and adult daughter. Over recent years, I have gone from being able to sit with one of them, or another family member or two for short periods, or sitting together for dinner, to barely being able to tolerate being in the same room with them at all. During crashes it's worse, I hide in my dark bedroom, wear a sign with Snoopy saying "Don't Talk to Me."
I identify with Whitney Dafoe... I don't want anyone talking to me (can rarely do a phone call) asking a question, sometimes touching me. Hubby uses headphones for TV, so it's usually quiet. All windows double covered.
I feel like I'm in a dark prison, cut off. Being unable to go outside for 7 months of the year in Phoenix area makes it all the harder to survive. When we do, it's jet airplanes overhead every 30 seconds. This is not worth it. But I can still talk most of the time if I need to, and I can type now and then, though very hard to be on computer, so I certainly cannot compare myself with Whitney.... :(

roxi

Yes,honey, this is part of ME. I am similar with you, I can hardly tolerate any noise. Our systems are very sensitive to any kind of stimulus, anything overwhelms us because we struggle as it is, so anything on top will only add to the stress our bodies feel. But please dont loose hope. Once the body will get into some sort of balance, it will be able to tolerate stimulus much better. Hugs.

Likaloha

Does anyone else have sensory overload to the point where they have difficulty even being near a family member at home? Is this just my ME/CFS getting worse? My daughter's has been getting worse too. Or is there something else going on as well, neurologically?
I'm homebound, mostly bedbound, live with working husband and adult daughter. Over recent years, I have gone from being able to sit with one of them, or another family member or two for short periods, or sitting together for dinner, to barely being able to tolerate being in the same room with them at all. During crashes it's worse, I hide in my dark bedroom, wear a sign with Snoopy saying "Don't Talk to Me."
I identify with Whitney Dafoe... I don't want anyone talking to me (can rarely do a phone call) asking a question, sometimes touching me. Hubby uses headphones for TV, so it's usually quiet. All windows double covered.
I feel like I'm in a dark prison, cut off. Being unable to go outside for 7 months of the year in Phoenix area makes it all the harder to survive. When we do, it's jet airplanes overhead every 30 seconds. This is not worth it. But I can still talk most of the time if I need to, and I can type now and then, though very hard to be on computer, so I certainly cannot compare myself with Whitney.... :(
Sorry Ganesh that you are going through this....I think it is common to become easily overwhelmed with sounds, smells, sights, etc.... For me, anyway, as I have gotten older it has gotten a little better or maybe I am desensitized to things..Please don't give up hope! Lisa

cujet

The inability to handle stress may point to Adrenal system dysfunction. In particular, during times of stress, the pituitary gland should produce higher levels of ACTH, to stimulate the Adrenals, which then produce higher levels of Cortisol, allowing one to handle stress.

The feelings associated with low Cortisol when stressed are flat out overwhelming. I've experienced this and it's truly difficult to describe, other than to say that it's quite weird feeling. I've always handled stress well, and taken on the world, but when this latest "malfunction" happened, I'd wonder why I was so unable to deal with relatively minor situations. Come to find out, I don't produce much ACTH, ever.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources