Should Everyone Try Tumeric?

Should Everyone With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and/or Fibromyalgia try Tumeric?

• I tried it and had a good response

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I tried it and had an OK response

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I tried it and it didn't make any difference

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • I've never tried it - don't believe it will help

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never tried it - not sure how to use it

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I've never tried it but plan to

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I get that there's hype everywhere - including possibly here:

[fright]
Curcuma.jpg
[/fright]Late last year, a remarkable study was published in the journal Ayu titiled "Effects of turmeric on Alzheimer's disease with behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia." [ii] Researchers described three patients with Alzheimer's disease whose behavioral symptoms were "improved remarkably" as a result of consuming 764 milligram of turmeric (curcumin 100 mg/day) for 12 weeks.
While there are 114 studies on our Turmeric research page indicating turmeric has a neuroprotective set of physiological actions, [5] 30 of these studies are directly connected to turmeric's anti-Alzheimer's disease properties.**
It seems like lots of people, including Jared Younger, are talking about tumeric and its anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective properties.

Wikipedia states:

In India, turmeric has been used as a remedy for stomach and liver ailments, as well as topically to heal sores, basically for its supposed antimicrobial property.[16] In the Siddh system (since around 1900 BCE), turmeric was a medicine for a range of diseases and conditions, including those of the skin, pulmonary, and gastrointestinal systems, aches, pains, wounds, sprains, and liver disorders. A fresh juice is commonly used in many skin conditions, including eczema, chicken pox, shingles, allergy, and scabies.[17]

The active compound curcumin is believed to have a wide range of biological effects including anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antitumour, antibacterial, andantiviral activities, which indicate potential in clinical medicine.[18]
Preliminary medical research[edit]

According to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, "there is little reliable evidence to support the use of turmeric for any health condition because few clinical trials have been conducted."[8]

Although trials are going on for the use of turmeric to treat cancer, doses needed for any effect are difficult to establish in humans.[19] Some research shows compounds in turmeric to have antifungal and antibacterial properties; however, curcumin is not one of them.[20]

Turmeric is under study in several human diseases, including kidney and cardiovascular diseases, arthritis, cancer, irritable bowel disease,[21] Alzheimer's disease,[22] diabetes,[23][24] and other clinical disorders.[25][26]

I've never tried it. I'm not sure which brand to try and what dose to take but it's definitely on my list.

Have you tried tumeric? If so did it work and did you use a particular brand and how much did you take?

tandrsc

I take mine as it comes from the supermarket - cheap and in a jar.

I take several spices for various things and turmeric is one of them. Currently I mix them with some courgette powder, tomato puree and lemon juice and spread the paste on oat cakes. It's pleasant to take and feels like food rather than a supplement.

In the past I have mixed them with a spoon of honey and cocoa powder and eaten it off the spoon.

It's also easy to experiment with the dose this way. I would start with a small amount and slowly increase it to a level you are happy with. I have found that more is not always better. I take 1/8 tsp a day.

You can buy courgette powder (and other vegetable powders) online. Happily these are an easy and tasty way of eating more veg.

Last edited:

Empty

Turmeric powder is almost top of my list of things that markedly helped and I have high standards before I say such a thing lol.
I add half teaspoon to some soya milk and warm along wit a bit of black pepper and warm. It is really simple to do and tasty.
I started low though. I have had very good brain regeneration, improves skin, calming, detoxing, provides some glutathione etc.

I expect some will get a bad reaction. I had to detox my system before I could start taking in any of this stuff.

It is called Golden Milk in India and highly revered. The black pepper helps release the curcumin in the turmeric. I think the turmeric is better than just taking curcumin supplements. This recipe also adds ginger in there.

http://www.journeykitchen.com/2012/01/turmeric-milk-indian-home-remedy.html

Last edited:

2Cor.12:9

I get that there's hype everywhere - including possibly here:

[fright]View attachment 662 [/fright]Late last year, a remarkable study was published in the journal Ayu titiled "Effects of turmeric on Alzheimer's disease with behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia." [ii] Researchers described three patients with Alzheimer's disease whose behavioral symptoms were "improved remarkably" as a result of consuming 764 milligram of turmeric (curcumin 100 mg/day) for 12 weeks.
While there are 114 studies on our Turmeric research page indicating turmeric has a neuroprotective set of physiological actions, [5] 30 of these studies are directly connected to turmeric's anti-Alzheimer's disease properties.**
It seems like lots of people, including Jared Younger, are talking about tumeric and its anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective properties.
I've never tried it. I'm not sure which brand to try and what dose to take but it's definitely on my list.
Have you tried tumeric? If so did it work and did you use a particular brand and how much did you take?

Cort. Thank you for posting this stuff. I saw a new rheumatologist who is young and very sharp for my CFS (severe)and FM. - although she said CFS/FM wasn't her field of specialty she told me to try Turmeric for my tendonitis, frozen shoulder and other pains. I was reluctant but after reading these articles I want to try it now.

Abrin

I've tried it in tincture but I've not noticed much of a difference yet.
It could be I've just not taken enough of it for a long enough time yet.
I've heard that they sell fresh turmeric at an Asian grocery in my city so when I run out of what I bought I am going to try my hand at making my own tincture because I can't really afford to take it on a regular basis.

Remy

Administrator
Last edited:

tatt

haven't tried taking it in large doses as a supplement but when cooking rice I always put some in and sometimes add it to other foods. Can't say I've noticed any difference.

Dee VanDine

i take curcumin by capsule, once a day, or more if i remember. it's NOW brand, 665mg, from amazon. it works great for me with pain. i was actually able to lower my methadone dose when i started taking it. it helps my osteoarthritis knee pain and degenerative disc disease pain in my lower back. doesn't seem to help with the fibro pain much.

Empty

http://www.turmericlife.com.au/start-here/turmeric-faq/

Run by Vet Doug English - Turmeric life. A whole website dedicated to turmeric. He runs aface book group on turmeric, lost the link. I think it has 80,000 members? ()don't know if thats right)

Not on facebook or I would every excited to join TUG group : Turmeric User Group is the facebook name

Last edited:

Empty

Don't know if this was mentioned in original article but pepper must be the freshly ground cracked pepper not powdered pepper for the piperine

Forebearance

I tired it in capsule form and it really disagreed with me -- it upset my stomach.
You don't have an option in your survey for that!

Last edited:

ShyestofFlies

I tried it for a while in tablet form, dosage... 500 mg almost every day, source naturals brand.
I couldn't tell there was any difference going on with me, but maybe I just wasn't taking enough? I've also tried it as a spice, I don't really like it in food that I make because I tend to use too much and the flavor is overpowering. At resturants or in premade food I can't even taste it though.

Issie

Yes, I would say people should try it. Something I must use. Or Curcurmin.

Turmeric, ginger and a small dash of cinnamon is good in coffee with coconut creamer.

Issie

Empty

I forget also if this has been mentioned but

Some turmeric brands

*Have had the Curcumin removed!!!!!* on the supermarket shelves.

Need organic turmeric or reliable brand...

Penny Neiman

I just wanted to let anyone know that does use Turmeric and with the cost of everything, I have discovered buying in bulk. I am sharing this from Amazon, because I buy a lot on line from Amazon and it's free shipping if you buy anything, (almost) from Amazon and spend $49.00 or more. I say almost, because a few companies don't offer this, but very few, so check.
This is the brand that I use, because I went to their website and read up on it and this is the best! It is bulk and not pill. I do not care for the taste, thus I add a little to my food everytime I eat, which by what I read is best anyway. Also, if I bought this 1 pound bag in capsules instead, if would probably cost hundreds of dollars. And, if you guys are taking other herbs, they probably have that in bulk too.
I hope this helps!
https://www.amazon.com/Starwest-Botanicals-Organic-Turmeric-Powder/dp/B019G9P3OI?th=1

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources