Snow to Eskimo's: Fatigue to ME/CFS/FM and Sjogren's - the 13 Types of Fatigue in Sjogrens

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
This writer talks about 13 different kinds of fatigue she experiences with Sjogren's Syndrome - an autoimmune disease. I'll bet that other autoimmune diseases produce similar kinds of fatigue. Several of them are the same type of fatigue found in ME/CFS and FM.
Tired-wired (Wired Tired)
Tired-wired is a feeling that comes from certain medications, such as prednisone, too much caffeine, or too much excitement or perhaps it is just a function of Sjögren’s. My body is tired but my mind wants to keep going and won’t let my body rest.

What she calls "Rebound Fatigue" appears to be a lesser form of post-exertional malaise

Rebound fatigue

If I push myself too far and ignore the cues my body is sending me to stop and rest, my body will fight back. When I do more than I should, the result is an immobilizing fatigue. It comes on after the fact, i.e., do too much one day and feel it the next. If I push myself today, I very likely will have to cancel everything tomorrow. An extended period of doing more than I should will almost certainly cause a flare.

There's also brain-fog and the heavy legs feeling. She does not say flu-like fatigue but these are so close to ME/CFS that I imagine you could distinguish between the two diseases using symptoms of fatigue! Maybe the degree of fatigue would help...

Cort

Staff member
This writer talks about 13 different kinds of fatigue she experiences with Sjogren's Syndrome - an autoimmune disease. I'll bet that other autoimmune diseases produce similar kinds of fatigue. Several of them are the same type of fatigue found in ME/CFS and FM.

What she calls "Rebound Fatigue" appears to be a lesser form of post-exertional malaise

There's also brain-fog and the heavy legs feeling. She does not say flu-like fatigue but these are so close to ME/CFS that I imagine you could distinguish between the two diseases using symptoms of fatigue! Maybe the degree of fatigue would help...
It certainly indicates why we need a biomarker. SEID or Jason's empiric definition includes PEM, fatigue, sleep and cognitive issues - all of these are found in Sjogren's! It's why we need exclusionary factors.

Cort

Staff member
Sjogren's doesn't have biomarkers yet, but it can be diagnosed by doing a biopsy of a salivary gland. See:
Identification of autoantibody biomarkers for primary Sjögren's syndrome using protein microarrays

Shen Hu,1,2 Arjan Vissink,3 Martha Arellano,1 Caroline Roozendaal,4 Hui Zhou,1 Cees G. M. Kallenberg,4 and David T. Wong1,2,*

Sorry about the crazy text formatting. I cut & pasted from a website. I'm not sure how it will show when posted. o_O
Thanks....It's the only sure way of identifying Sjogren's. Lots of doctors, though, rely on the not so accurate blood tests - and therefore could be misdiagnosing SS patients as having fibromyalgia.

Ultimated

After 30 years of ME/CFS, I began testing positive for Sjogren's antibody A after my latest severe relapse earlier this year. Apparently Sjogren's is often found in conjunction with other autoimmune diseases like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources