Solve ME/CFS Initiative Appoints New Research Director

Based on What We Know So Far What Do You Think of Dr. Nahle?

• Great choice!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Good Choice..

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • OK Choice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A bit disappointed

• Very disappointed

• Total voters

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
He's got quite a resume. He's moving to LA from St. Louis presumably so he can work directly with Carol Head. He's familiar with bioinformatics like Suzanne Vernon and co-founded a non-profit. He doesn't have the research chops Suzanne Vernon did but he's got diverse experience in both research and administration. (He has an MPA). You need to be able to straddle boundaries in that position....

Check out this statement:

“In a Harvard class of exceptional students, Zaher stood out as the finest student,” Fineberg said. “His ability to synthesize and articulate complex concepts is extraordinary.” Kenneth Fineberg (taught Dr. Nahle Alternative Dispute Resolution at Harvard Law School)
[fright]

blog-photo2.jpg

[/fright]The Solve ME/CFS Initiative is pleased to announce the appointment of Zaher Nahle, PhD, MPA, as its Vice President for Research and Scientific Programs, effective June 29. Dr. Nahle has a PhD in Physiology and Biophysics from Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory and Stony Brook University and a Master in Public Administration from Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government. Dr. Nahle also completed post-doctoral fellowships at Harvard and Stony Brook. He emerged as the clear choice for the position after a rigorous two-month international search, which included many extraordinary candidates.

SMCI President Carol Head says that Dr. Nahle’s appointment will help build upon the research momentum of late. “ME/CFS is the kind of complex problem that attracts brilliant, inquisitive researchers who thrive on using rigorous science to attack complex problems,” she says. “We are very fortunate to have Dr. Nahle leading the Solve ME/CFS Initiative research on behalf of the patient community.”

Dr. Nahle is an award-winning scientist with interdisciplinary training in biomedical research and public administration. His awards include the Army Breast Cancer Fellowship Award, the American Heart Association Career Development Award (BGIA) and the National Priorities Research Award (QF). He has a history of securing prestigious funding in healthcare and patient-oriented research and has generated $7.4 million in total research funding through direct competitions and philanthropic solicitations. His additional areas of expertise include: research portfolio management and public/private partnerships.

Dr. Nahle has published more than 22 interdisciplinary research papers in prestigious journals, includingNature, Nature Cell Biology, the Journal of Biological Chemistry and Oncogene. His PhD thesis focused on studying the molecular mechanisms of programmed cell death and genomic instability using unbiased, high throughput technologies. This work used a range of innovative methodologies and large-scale bioinformatics; the discoveries remain highly cited in the fields of molecular biology and genetics.

Dr. Nahle served as principal investigator and laboratory head at several universities, including Vanderbilt, Cornell and Washington University in St. Louis. As principal investigator, he led research teams and developed scientific programs, lending his hands-on expertise in biomedical protocols, procedures and techniques and project design and management.

He is cofounder of a charitable organization, Ibrak Partners, which has branches in the United States and Kenya and works to improve policies and provide services for children with physical disabilities in poor and neglected areas.

Dr. Scott W. Lowe, Professor and Chair at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center who served as Dr. Nahle’s PhD adviser, says that his approach to science will serve him well as he delves into the massive challenge that ME/CFS research presents.

“He is extraordinarily driven and a creative thinker who can grasp complex problems,” Dr. Lowe says. “He’s an excellent scientist, and his ability to obtain NIH funding and publish distinguished papers separates him from rest in the field.”

Kenneth Fineberg, who served as Special Master of the U.S. government including the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund and taught Dr. Nahle Alternative Dispute Resolution at Harvard Law School, agrees. “In a Harvard class of exceptional students, Zaher stood out as the finest student,” Fineberg said. “His ability to synthesize and articulate complex concepts is extraordinary.”

Dr. Nahle is eager to begin making a contribution to the field of ME/CFS research, which has yielded too few breakthroughs for far too long. “I feel very fortunate to be the one entrusted with leading the research effort and scientific programs on this very challenging and urgent medical problem and to be able to work alongside talented colleagues and a visionary patient-CEO,” Dr. Nahle says. “Truly, this is an incredible opportunity to establish durable collaborations within the scientific, medical and patient communities toward finding solutions for this insidious disease, which is woefully understudied, underfunded and underestimated.”.

Carol Head says the Solve ME/CFS Initiative is just as fortunate. “Zaher is not only a brilliant intellect, but he also has the background in public administration that’s needed to navigate the landscape that continues to shape this disease,” she says. “The fact that he also founded a charitable organization to assist vulnerable populations clearly demonstrates his innate humanity and compassion, which our patient community so badly needs.”

Last edited:

Hello!

That is quite a lot of ringing endorsements! It seems to me that what this field really needs right now is someone who is highly skilled at obtaining large scale funding; a great spokesperson; good at discerning which research is worthy of funding; can make important ideological connections; and attract researchers who will make a difference(maybe he should just join forces with the Ron Davis crew.)

I hope Dr. Nahle overfills the void!

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Me too. He certainly has a diverse skill set - he might be just the right guy, and yes, I hope Solve ME/CFS finds a way to hook up with the Davis crew. Everyone needs to work together to maximize our still very limited resources.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources