Subgroups of ME/CFS patients might have viral meningoencephalitis

Mats Lindström

Herpes found in 4 of 4 patients with symtoms of viral meningoencephalitis
In a recently study researcher screened for viral DNA in cerebrospinal fluid samples using NGS technology to diagnose CNS viral infections. They collected CSF samples from four cases with clinically suspected viral meningoencephalitis. DNA extracted from the samples was analyzed with next generation sequencing* (NGS), and the results were further validated using PCR. Herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1) was detected in the CSF of two patients, HSV-2 and human herpes virus type 3 (HHV-3, VZV) in the CSF of two other patients separately.
Source

Discussion
This study indicates that active herpes is more common in the central nervous system than previously thought. Routine laboratory tests are generally not helpful in the diagnosis of HSV but may show evidence of infection or detect renal disease. The diagnosis can be confirmed only by means of PCR or brain biopsy.
Source

There are eight different kinds of herpes viruses and IgG is important!
Physicians are taught that IgG results have no bearing on whether an infection is active or not but Dr. Dantini, Dr. Lerner and Dr. Montoya. All believe that very high IgG levels in the presence of illness often do reflect an active infection. Dr. Dantini believes antibody titers about 4 times what is considered normal – reflect an active infection in a person with the symptoms of ME/CFS/FM.
igg.png

Source

Today's technology is not sufficient to determine if a patient has herpes in active form in the central nervous system. Even taking samples in both serum and cerebrospinal fluid, there is still great uncertainty.
Source

*Next generation sequencers (NGS) to detect viruses
Since last century, a number of different virus discovery methods, based on cell culture inoculation, sequence-independent PCR have been used for identification of a variety of viruses. However, the recent emergence and commercial availability of next-generation sequencers (NGS) has entirely changed the field of virus discovery.
By the late-1950s, it was generally believed that most of the human pathogenic viruses had been discovered, but the emergence of a number of previously unknown viruses [Hepatitis viruses, Hantavirus, human immunodeficiency virus, Marburg virus, severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), Coronavirus Ebola virus] during the later part of the century strongly challenged this belief.
Source

Last edited:

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Tha
Herpes found in 4 of 4 patients with symtoms of viral meningoencephalitis
In a recently study researcher screened for viral DNA in cerebrospinal fluid samples using NGS technology to diagnose CNS viral infections. They collected CSF samples from four cases with clinically suspected viral meningoencephalitis. DNA extracted from the samples was analyzed with next generation sequencing* (NGS), and the results were further validated using PCR. Herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1) was detected in the CSF of two patients, HSV-2 and human herpes virus type 3 (HHV-3, VZV) in the CSF of two other patients separately.
Source

Discussion
This study indicates that active herpes is more common in the central nervous system than previously thought. Routine laboratory tests are generally not helpful in the diagnosis of HSV but may show evidence of infection or detect renal disease. The diagnosis can be confirmed only by means of PCR or brain biopsy.
Source

There are eight different kinds of herpes viruses and IgG is important!
Physicians are taught that IgG results have no bearing on whether an infection is active or not but Dr. Dantini, Dr. Lerner and Dr. Montoya. All believe that very high IgG levels in the presence of illness often do reflect an active infection. Dr. Dantini believes antibody titers about 4 times what is considered normal – reflect an active infection in a person with the symptoms of ME/CFS/FM.
View attachment 784
Source

Today's technology is not sufficient to determine if a patient has herpes in active form in the central nervous system. Even taking samples in both serum and cerebrospinal fluid, there is still great uncertainty.
Source

*Next generation sequencers (NGS) to detect viruses
Since last century, a number of different virus discovery methods, based on cell culture inoculation, sequence-independent PCR have been used for identification of a variety of viruses. However, the recent emergence and commercial availability of next-generation sequencers (NGS) has entirely changed the field of virus discovery.
By the late-1950s, it was generally believed that most of the human pathogenic viruses had been discovered, but the emergence of a number of previously unknown viruses [Hepatitis viruses, Hantavirus, human immunodeficiency virus, Marburg virus, severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), Coronavirus Ebola virus] during the later part of the century strongly challenged this belief.
Source
Thanks Mats - I'm getting this paper.

Mats Lindström

Tha

Thanks Mats - I'm getting this paper.

Cort,

What do you think about the difficulty to determine if you have an active herpes virusinfection in the CNS ? In Sweden it is not included in standard operating procedures when diagnosing ME / CFS . Only in exceptional cases and in the serum...

Strike me lucky

Cort,

What do you think about the difficulty to determine if you have an active herpes virusinfection in the CNS ? In Sweden it is not included in standard operating procedures when diagnosing ME / CFS . Only in exceptional cases and in the serum...

Just my opinion. But i think if one is positive igg to one or more of the herpes viruses and also has a low nk function, then theres a good chance that these viruses could be an issue.

when we look at the role of nk cells which one job is to fight viruses, than issues with herpes viruses makes sense. Unsure if its the be all and end all.

Treating the viruses and seeing improvement isa good indication its an issue, but as dr lerner has found, if one also has some type of chronic bbacterial infection also than one may not see results using antivirals unless bacterial infections are treated.

There is a very similar illness called nk cell defiency disorder , so not low nk function but very low nk cells. Treatment for these people is prophylactic meds like antivirals and antibiotics . It doesnt really seem that different to those with cfsme that have low nk function ? ?

Natural killer cell function in cfsme seems to have gone quiet of late in research . Many think its just a biomarker but i cant help but think of the role of nk cells and it being alot more than just a biomarker . Almost like whats in front of us is being ignored ? ?*

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources