Tetracycline

Strike me lucky

Anyone read or personal experience of tetracycline being better than doxy for somethings eg lyme?

I understand tissue perfusion isnt as good but the total dose of tetracycline is much greater maybe having advantages in other aspects of treatment. High blood levels of abx??

Tetracycline has good bone absorption so maybe better suited to infections involving alot of bone, maybe sinusitis??

May not be as good for neurolyme but maybe better at more systemic infections not involving BBB, maybe infections in muscle??

Random thought of mine i have thought about with this drug. I guess it wouldn't hurt a trial of it?? And dam cheap too.

Cheers

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Anyone read or personal experience of tetracycline being better than doxy for somethings eg lyme?

I understand tissue perfusion isnt as good but the total dose of tetracycline is much greater maybe having advantages in other aspects of treatment. High blood levels of abx??

Tetracycline has good bone absorption so maybe better suited to infections involving alot of bone, maybe sinusitis??

May not be as good for neurolyme but maybe better at more systemic infections not involving BBB, maybe infections in muscle??

Random thought of mine i have thought about with this drug. I guess it wouldn't hurt a trial of it?? And dam cheap too.

Cheers
I don't know. Antibiotics are sure more interesting than they used to be....Second generation ones do appear to be more effective...

One paper states

Tetracyclines are bacteriostatic agents with broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity (1). Semisynthetic, the so-called long-acting second-generation tetracyclines, doxycycline and minocycline, are absorbed rapidly and completely even in aged population (25) and have a superior tissue penetration into the brain and cerebrospinal fluid (1, 6).

Look at all the things they've found tetracycline antibiotics can do:

Minocycline prevented completely the ischemia-induced activation of microglia and the appearance of NADPH-diaphorase reactive cells, but did not affect induction of glial acidic fibrillary protein, a marker of astrogliosis. Minocycline treatment for 4 days resulted in a 70% reduction in mRNA induction of interleukin-1β-converting enzyme, a caspase that is induced in microglia after ischemia.

(IL-1B is associated with increased pain sensitivity)

During recent years, doxycycline and minocycline have been shown to exert biological effects that are completely separate and distinct from their antimicrobial action. These effects include:
  • inhibition of matrix metalloproteases (7),
  • tumor-induced angiogenesis (8),
  • malignant cell growth (9)
  • bone resorption (10)
  • depression of oxygen radical release from polymorphonuclear neutrophils (11, 12)
  • inhibition of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) [a putative mediator of inflammation (13, 14)]
  • inhibition of protein tyrosine nitration by scavenging peroxynitrite (15).
Plus

Experimental and clinical studies indicate that minocycline and doxycycline may be beneficial in treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and potentially in other inflammatory diseases (1618).

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources