The Benefits of Intranasal Insulin

Remy

Administrator
is it saline sold for contact lens purposes?).
It's actually nasal saline...to moisten the nasal passages. Perfect!

I did this today...mixed it up half and half with the Novolin R. I

I have to say I would recommend diluting it to the newcomer to this treatment. It is MUCH milder and easier to tolerate. The full strength doesn't burn much anymore and I'm accustomed to the smell, but this is just much less jarring overall.

Now, when/if you get up to higher doses, I'm sure it wouldn't make any sense. But starting out, I'm all for it.

Hip

I just wrote this post on the Longecity.org thread on intranasal insulin, which covers the following:

The post details why taking an oral choline supplement (such as choline bitartrate) with the intranasal insulin might improve the cognitive effects, and might also help prevent side effects.

(It was suggested on that thread that intranasal insulin likely ramps up the cholinergic system; for cholinergic drugs like piracetam, co-administration of choline prevents piracetam's side effect of headaches, and also boosts the cognitive enhancement of piracetam; so I am thinking that choline may also be usefully co-administered when taking intranasal insulin).

The post also covers the report that intranasal insulin can blunt the emotions, if used for several days in a row (and it may thus be an idea to take regular breaks from intranasal insulin, especially if you notice your emotions becoming weakened).

ankaa

how long does a 10ml bottle last?

I called walmart today and they do have it for $25! the downside is that walmart is really far, so it would really be a trek to get it... Costco has it for $150, and since it's OTC, coupons don't apply, so Walmart trek here I come... However, it does make me think that if I'm going, I should be sure that i get a 1 month supply. My brain fog kills me, and it seems very tied to my never ending sinus & mast cell problems...

thanks.

Remy

Administrator
how long does a 10ml bottle last?

I called walmart today and they do have it for $25! the downside is that walmart is really far, so it would really be a trek to get it... Costco has it for $150, and since it's OTC, coupons don't apply, so Walmart trek here I come... However, it does make me think that if I'm going, I should be sure that i get a 1 month supply. My brain fog kills me, and it seems very tied to my never ending sinus & mast cell problems...

thanks.
Welcome ankaa!

One bottle will last a little more than a month at two sprays twice a day.

ankaa

Welcome ankaa!

One bottle will last a little more than a month at two sprays twice a day.

Hi Remy (or anyone else)
If you can answer any of these questions, I would appreciate it.

Is INI/insulin anti-inflammatory to the CNS? I feel like lowering inflammation is like waiving a magic wand over all my symptoms!
Is INI a brain anti-oxident?
does INI increase blood flow to the brain?

Also, I have one copy of the alzheimers gene - APOE-e4... Have you seen anything to suggest that this helps prevent alzheimers? I've read that Alzheimers is a type of diabetes, according to some researchers

thanks!

Remy

Administrator
Hi Remy (or anyone else)
If you can answer any of these questions, I would appreciate it.

Is INI/insulin anti-inflammatory to the CNS? I feel like lowering inflammation is like waiving a magic wand over all my symptoms!
Is INI a brain anti-oxident?
does INI increase blood flow to the brain?

Also, I have one copy of the alzheimers gene - APOE-e4... Have you seen anything to suggest that this helps prevent alzheimers? I've read that Alzheimers is a type of diabetes, according to some researchers

thanks!
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3709085/

Carollynn

Really interesting. I'd like to try it, but for the price. Yes, Walmart has it for $25, but I won't shop there. Rite Aid has it, special order but yes OTC, for $225 for 1,000 doses. I might save up to buy it there. Looks like you can find it on-line for $85 plus over-night shipping (it must stay cold?).

ankaa

Really interesting. I'd like to try it, but for the price. Yes, Walmart has it for $25, but I won't shop there. Rite Aid has it, special order but yes OTC, for $225 for 1,000 doses. I might save up to buy it there. Looks like you can find it on-line for $85 plus over-night shipping (it must stay cold?).

Ugh... I hear ya... I don't like walmart either.. Still, $25 for a trial, then if it works, buy it somewhere else... $225 is a lot of money for me upfront for something that I don't know about... I'll see if my local right aid has it..

Where can I buy it online? thx.

Remy

Administrator
I don't like Walmart either but my moral policy has an exemption for medical necessity. :)

ankaa

I don't like Walmart either but my moral policy has an exemption for medical necessity. :)

I called around, and couldn't find a better price than Walmart, and it's a BIG price difference:

for a 10ml bottle of Novolin R - no rx required:
Costco $150
Walgreens $167

for a 10ml bottle of Humulin R - no rx required:
Rite Aid $165

The pharmacist said that Novolin R has a long shelf life, so potentially, you could buy several (or more) bottles at once... Walmart is kind of a trek on public transportation, so it would be best for me to buy in bulk if this is something that works for me, but the first time I'd have to make the trek for one bottle....If it works, then well worth the effort. Berberine makes me feel better overall, and makes my head feel a little better (not enough) so this seems like a promising option for me because (I think) it's a more targeted way of delivering the same benefits of berberine... We'll see.

One point of clarification: The pharmacist said that 10ml was 1000 doses; however, the guidelines provided on this thread indicate the 10ml bottle = 1 month supply for INI, based on 2 daily doses. So, I believe there's been some confusion over whether 1 bottle = 1000 INI doses which is NOT accurate... See directions at the top of this thread for the detailed breakdown.

ankaa

For the last 6 days I have been taking intranasal insulin, with daily doses starting at 5 IU, going up to 20 IU (which is the highest dose I have tried so far).

I am using it intermittently (taking it one day, but not the next day) to see if there are differences in my cognition between the days I take it, and the days not taking it.

So far I am not sure if intranasal insulin is having much effect. It's possibly increasing motivation and mental focus, but there are no obvious "Wow!" effects from taking it; if it is doing something for me, I think it is relatively subtle.

However, I will keeping on experimenting with it over the coming weeks, again on an intermittent basis, and see how it goes. I'll probably try doses up to 40 IU. I am not getting any side effects at all from intranasal inulin, so I feel confident in trying higher doses.

Because I am currently in the middle of testing another ME/CFS treatment regimen, I don't want to take intranasal insulin full time, because then I would not be able to work out which regimen was providing benefits, if benefits appear.

But because the action of intranasal insulin is short-lived (the effects of one dose last for around half a day), I can take it now and then, without interfering with my other longer term regimen.

hey hip - are you still trying INI? how's it going?

Hip

hey hip - are you still trying INI? how's it going?

I have not tried intranasal inulin in recent weeks, due to testing other things. But I will resume testing it at some point.

I find intranasal inulin boosts mental concentration, mental energy and motivation, and perhaps memory; it has what feels like cholinergic effects on cognition.

Intranasal insulin feels closest to nootropics such as piracetam, which acts on the cholinergic system, and improves memory and information processing. Though I find piracetam is stronger and more effective than intranasal inulin, in terms of its cognition improvements.

I have been using intranasal insulin doses in the 5 IU to 20 IU range.

ankaa

I have not tried intranasal inulin in recent weeks, due to testing other things. But I will resume testing it at some point.

I find intranasal inulin boosts mental concentration, mental energy and motivation, and perhaps memory; it has what feels like cholinergic effects on cognition.

Intranasal insulin feels closest to nootropics such as piracetam, which acts on the cholinergic system, and improves memory and information processing. Though I find piracetam is stronger and more effective than intranasal inulin, in terms of its cognition improvements.

I have been using intranasal insulin doses in the 5 IU to 20 IU range.

It sounds fantastic... can't wait to try it.. How many sprays of undiluted insulin is 5 IU ? One?

Piracetum doesn't last long for me, so hopefully INI will last at least a few hours.

Hip

How many sprays of undiluted insulin is 5 IU ? One?

Insulin products usually (but not always) have 100 IU of insulin per ml; and nasal spray bottles usually administer 0.1 ml of liquid per spray; so one spray from a spray bottle corresponds to 10 IU of insulin.

The effects of intranasal inulin are not that strong, I find. It does boost cognition, but only relatively mildly.

ankaa

Insulin products usually (but not always) have 100 IU of insulin per ml; and nasal spray bottles usually administer 0.1 ml of liquid per spray; so one spray from a spray bottle corresponds to 10 IU of insulin.

The effects of intranasal inulin are not that strong, I find. It does boost cognition, but only relatively mildly.

how do you think INI compares to berberine - if at all? I'm asking b/c I get subtle but worthwhile cognitive benefits from berberine, which also works on glucose modulation.

thanks.

ankaa

The last few times I tried berberine it made me feel worse than normal. It has toxic effects on mitochondria.

thanks for the tip.. I didn't know that!

Have you ever tried plaquenil or colchicine for pain? they're both anti-inflammatories rx'ed by OMI... I"ve been using Wobenzyme for pain, which has been amazing, but I may need to take up a notch w the Rx alternatives... We'll see. Pain is much worse in winter, so if I can make it through a few more months, I'll be good.

Last edited:

Hip

Have you ever tried plaquenil or colchicine for pain?

I have not tried either. Fortunately I don't usually get pain as part of my ME/CFS symptoms (although I have had rare periods of a few months with terrible muscle pain).

Last edited:

Remy

Administrator
I'm going to give this another shot. My weight loss has plateaued so maybe it was helping in the background. It's worth $25 to find out anyway!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources