Poll The Fatigue Poll: What Types of Fatigue Do You Experience?

Discussion in 'Symptoms' started by Cort, Jun 10, 2015.

?

What Kinds of Fatigue Do You Experience?

1. (I have ME/CFS) - ‘Post-exertional fatigue (or malaise)’

143 vote(s)
    71.5%
  2. (I have ME/CFS) - ‘Brain fog’

123 vote(s)
    61.5%
  3. (I have ME/CFS) - ‘Wired But Tired fatigue’ - worn out but unable to relax

77 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. (I have ME/CFS) - ‘Molasses Fatigue’ – characterized by a feeling of heaviness in the limbs

73 vote(s)
    36.5%
  5. (I have ME/CFS) - Flu-like fatigue

44 vote(s)
    22.0%
  6. (I have FM ) - ‘Post-exertional fatigue (or malaise)’

35 vote(s)
    17.5%
  7. (I have FM ) - ‘Brain fog’

29 vote(s)
    14.5%
  8. (I have FM ) - Wired But Tired fatigue’ - worn out but unable to relax

19 vote(s)
    9.5%
  9. (I have FM ) - Molasses Fatigue’ – characterized by a feeling of heaviness in the limbs

28 vote(s)
    14.0%
  10. (I have FM ) - Flu-like fatigue

15 vote(s)
    7.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cort

Cort Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising Staff Member

A study found that people with chronic fatigue syndrome regularly experienced five different types of fatigue while healthy controls only regularly experienced one.

Exhausted.jpg

• ‘Post-exertional fatigue (or malaise)’ occurs after physical or mental exertion; it is considered a hallmark symptom of this disease.
    • ‘Brain fog’ – involves having difficulty with words and concentration; it is considered a hallmark symptom of this disease
    • ‘Wired But Tired fatigue’ – is characterized by low energy levels accompanied by a feeling of over stimulation
    • Molasses Fatigue’ – is characterized by a feeling of heaviness in the limbs
    • Flu-like fatigue
    In the poll below please choose the diagnosis that fits you best (ME/CFS or FM) and pick the three types of fatigue you experience the most.

Victoria Feltner likes this.
  2. ixchelkali

ixchelkali New Member

I picked three, but actually I could check "all of the above." Different types of fatigue at different times, plus I have both ME/CFS and FM. I left out the tired-but-wired because I get that when I've exceeded my "energy envelope" )or "spoons" or whatever term you prefer) and these days I mostly manage to avoid that, but in the early days of being sick I had it more often.

There's also the somnambulant kind, when you absolutely can't keep your eyes open and it feels like you've been drugged.

3. Cort

I could have picked all five as well. All five were found in a survey of ME/CFS patients. It'll be interesting to see if different types of fatigue are more prominent in fibromyalgia.

Patty May, Julie G, Abby and 4 others like this.
  4. Folk

Folk Well-Known Member

What about hypersomnia?
    No one experiences that?

5. Cort

The study - which I cannot find now - listed just these types. Does the fatigue associated with hypersomnia differ from them?

6. Folk

Folk Well-Known Member

I mean something like daytime sleepiness.
    Waking at 11 in the morning and have to sleep again at 1 in the afternoon or something like that.

Or like some people report sleeping 18 hours a day. Stuff like that.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  7. kate brunton

kate brunton New Member

8. kate brunton

kate brunton New Member

I get a depleted feeling that is not sleepiness at all...like my system has run out of gas. I often feel a very unpleasant contraction in my chest area (not a heart problem). Maybe you would describe it as molasses or flu-like, brain fog for sure. Have always had trouble communicating what it's like.

Patty May, JayneL and Lissa like this.
  9. Tara H

Tara H New Member

I have all five, as most of us do, but what is called molasses fatigue here (I call it lead limbs) has happened either as a new variation of flu fatigue just more frequent for me recently - maybe worse because of the snowball effect of less active life? Wired and tired usually happens when I'm trying to sleep or nap - or that's when I notice it most, for what that is worth.

J William M Tweedie, JayneL and Lissa like this.
  10. Brenda Williams

Brenda Williams New Member

Yes I do! I could sleep 16 hrs a day sometimes!

Patty May and tinalouise like this.
  11. Nicole

Nicole New Member

When you have both illnesses ME as well as FM how can you tell where all the symptoms comes from...your brain fog , your aching, flu like pain, your IBS and I could go on, because the s/s are so similar.....

Julie G and Joanna like this.
  12. PamJ

PamJ Active Member

My daughter has FM. It started with hypersomnia. She would sleep 18 hrs a day. Now, she needs about 10-12 hrs.

13. Nixstar

Nixstar Member

I came down with the flu this week and didn't know I had it until I started coughing up phlegm. My thoughts are that I'm so used to the fatigue, aching and heavy limbs, I didn't notice my body coming down with the flu. Has anyone else experienced this?

Grace2U, Julie G, Melanie and 7 others like this.
  14. John Moore

John Moore Member

Unrefreshed sleep.
    Fatigue that never, ever abates.
    Weakness! Power outage! body fuse blown...
    All senses dulled, cognitive functions low to nonexistent.
    I am dead on my feet.
    literally.
    Dead.
    Lacking the life force required to worry about what will happen next to family, where I will access food and shelter or what others with think of me.
    Surrender is a metaphysical event.
    Letting go opens the way to grace.

Dee VanDine, Grace2U, Maureen and 8 others like this.
  15. Nixstar

Nixstar Member

John this is beautiful, and oh so shockingly honest. Brought a tear to my eye. Thank you for sharing

Arlyn likes this.
  16. Nixstar

Nixstar Member

Hi this is all new to me too, well the actual diagnosis I mean. You ask how do you know which symptom belongs to ME and which to FM? The question I pose to you is if she has both diseases, what/why does it matter? I know a lot of the symptoms can be the same from what I understand?

tinalouise and Joanna like this.
  17. Nixstar

Nixstar Member

Oh gosh yes!!! I can sleep literally 24 hours straight no problem I have to take a 2-3 hour nap after being awake for only 2 hours after a 12 hour sleep.

tinalouise likes this.
  18. Cort

I think that's pretty common - but what an interesting question for a survey. What was your sleep cycle like early in the illness? I never had hypersomnia - I imagine something different was going on with me.

Interestingly I've heard of people who switched from hyper to hypo...:)

Sarah R. likes this.
  19. Cort

It does teach one humility...

Dee VanDine and Sarah R. like this.
  20. Nixstar

Nixstar Member

I have to say that MOST of the time I need the land of eternal slumber but about every 5-6 weeks I'll have a phase or few nights where I can't sleep at all. I try to accept things as they come each day rather than fight it though there are times that I just want to take the reigns back, so to speak.

tinalouise likes this.