Poll The Fatigue Poll: What Types of Fatigue Do You Experience?

What Kinds of Fatigue Do You Experience?

• (I have ME/CFS) - ‘Post-exertional fatigue (or malaise)’

Votes: 158 71.5%
  • (I have ME/CFS) - ‘Brain fog’

Votes: 140 63.3%
  • (I have ME/CFS) - ‘Wired But Tired fatigue’ - worn out but unable to relax

Votes: 80 36.2%
  • (I have ME/CFS) - ‘Molasses Fatigue’ – characterized by a feeling of heaviness in the limbs

Votes: 81 36.7%
  • (I have ME/CFS) - Flu-like fatigue

Votes: 54 24.4%
  • (I have FM ) - ‘Post-exertional fatigue (or malaise)’

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • (I have FM ) - ‘Brain fog’

Votes: 31 14.0%
  • (I have FM ) - Wired But Tired fatigue’ - worn out but unable to relax

Votes: 19 8.6%
  • (I have FM ) - Molasses Fatigue’ – characterized by a feeling of heaviness in the limbs

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • (I have FM ) - Flu-like fatigue

Votes: 17 7.7%

• Total voters

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
A study found that people with chronic fatigue syndrome regularly experienced five different types of fatigue while healthy controls only regularly experienced one.

[fright]
Exhausted.jpg
[/fright]
  • ‘Post-exertional fatigue (or malaise)’ occurs after physical or mental exertion; it is considered a hallmark symptom of this disease.
  • ‘Brain fog’ – involves having difficulty with words and concentration; it is considered a hallmark symptom of this disease
  • ‘Wired But Tired fatigue’ – is characterized by low energy levels accompanied by a feeling of over stimulation
  • Molasses Fatigue’ – is characterized by a feeling of heaviness in the limbs
  • Flu-like fatigue
In the poll below please choose the diagnosis that fits you best (ME/CFS or FM) and pick the three types of fatigue you experience the most.

ixchelkali

I picked three, but actually I could check "all of the above." Different types of fatigue at different times, plus I have both ME/CFS and FM. I left out the tired-but-wired because I get that when I've exceeded my "energy envelope" )or "spoons" or whatever term you prefer) and these days I mostly manage to avoid that, but in the early days of being sick I had it more often.

There's also the somnambulant kind, when you absolutely can't keep your eyes open and it feels like you've been drugged.

Cort

Staff member
I picked three, but actually I could check "all of the above." Different types of fatigue at different times, plus I have both ME/CFS and FM. I left out the tired-but-wired because I get that when I've exceeded my "energy envelope" )or "spoons" or whatever term you prefer) and these days I mostly manage to avoid that, but in the early days of being sick I had it more often.

There's also the somnambulant kind, when you absolutely can't keep your eyes open and it feels like you've been drugged.
I could have picked all five as well. All five were found in a survey of ME/CFS patients. It'll be interesting to see if different types of fatigue are more prominent in fibromyalgia.

Cort

Staff member
The study - which I cannot find now - listed just these types. Does the fatigue associated with hypersomnia differ from them?

kate brunton

I get a depleted feeling that is not sleepiness at all...like my system has run out of gas. I often feel a very unpleasant contraction in my chest area (not a heart problem). Maybe you would describe it as molasses or flu-like, brain fog for sure. Have always had trouble communicating what it's like.

Tara H

I have all five, as most of us do, but what is called molasses fatigue here (I call it lead limbs) has happened either as a new variation of flu fatigue just more frequent for me recently - maybe worse because of the snowball effect of less active life? Wired and tired usually happens when I'm trying to sleep or nap - or that's when I notice it most, for what that is worth.

Nicole

When you have both illnesses ME as well as FM how can you tell where all the symptoms comes from...your brain fog , your aching, flu like pain, your IBS and I could go on, because the s/s are so similar.....

PamJ

My daughter has FM. It started with hypersomnia. She would sleep 18 hrs a day. Now, she needs about 10-12 hrs.

Nixstar

I came down with the flu this week and didn't know I had it until I started coughing up phlegm. My thoughts are that I'm so used to the fatigue, aching and heavy limbs, I didn't notice my body coming down with the flu. Has anyone else experienced this?

Unrefreshed sleep.
Fatigue that never, ever abates.
Weakness! Power outage! body fuse blown...
All senses dulled, cognitive functions low to nonexistent.
I am dead on my feet.
literally.
Dead.
Lacking the life force required to worry about what will happen next to family, where I will access food and shelter or what others with think of me.
Surrender is a metaphysical event.
Letting go opens the way to grace.

Nixstar

When you have both illnesses ME as well as FM how can you tell where all the symptoms comes from...your brain fog , your aching, flu like pain, your IBS and I could go on, because the s/s are so similar.....
Hi this is all new to me too, well the actual diagnosis I mean. You ask how do you know which symptom belongs to ME and which to FM? The question I pose to you is if she has both diseases, what/why does it matter? I know a lot of the symptoms can be the same from what I understand?

Cort

Staff member
My daughter has FM. It started with hypersomnia. She would sleep 18 hrs a day. Now, she needs about 10-12 hrs.
I think that's pretty common - but what an interesting question for a survey. What was your sleep cycle like early in the illness? I never had hypersomnia - I imagine something different was going on with me.

Interestingly I've heard of people who switched from hyper to hypo...:)

Cort

Staff member
Unrefreshed sleep.
Fatigue that never, ever abates.
Weakness! Power outage! body fuse blown...
All senses dulled, cognitive functions low to nonexistent.
I am dead on my feet.
literally.
Dead.
Lacking the life force required to worry about what will happen next to family, where I will access food and shelter or what others with think of me.
Surrender is a metaphysical event.
Letting go opens the way to grace.
It does teach one humility...

Nixstar

I think that's pretty common - but what an interesting question for a survey. What was your sleep cycle like early in the illness? I never had hypersomnia - I imagine something different was going on with me.

Interestingly I've heard of people who switched from hyper to hypo...:)
I have to say that MOST of the time I need the land of eternal slumber but about every 5-6 weeks I'll have a phase or few nights where I can't sleep at all. I try to accept things as they come each day rather than fight it though there are times that I just want to take the reigns back, so to speak.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources