Poll The Fatigue Poll: What Types of Fatigue Do You Experience?

What Kinds of Fatigue Do You Experience?

• (I have ME/CFS) - ‘Post-exertional fatigue (or malaise)’

Votes: 158 71.5%
  • (I have ME/CFS) - ‘Brain fog’

Votes: 140 63.3%
  • (I have ME/CFS) - ‘Wired But Tired fatigue’ - worn out but unable to relax

Votes: 80 36.2%
  • (I have ME/CFS) - ‘Molasses Fatigue’ – characterized by a feeling of heaviness in the limbs

Votes: 81 36.7%
  • (I have ME/CFS) - Flu-like fatigue

Votes: 54 24.4%
  • (I have FM ) - ‘Post-exertional fatigue (or malaise)’

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • (I have FM ) - ‘Brain fog’

Votes: 31 14.0%
  • (I have FM ) - Wired But Tired fatigue’ - worn out but unable to relax

Votes: 19 8.6%
  • (I have FM ) - Molasses Fatigue’ – characterized by a feeling of heaviness in the limbs

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • (I have FM ) - Flu-like fatigue

Votes: 17 7.7%

• Total voters

Nixstar

It does teach one humility...
It certainly teaches us to let go of trying to control our lives. As I'm only newly diagnosed I go through many phases at the moment. Despair, disbelief, anger and frustration. I live alone, pay a mortgage and run my own business... hmm, nope no sick leave or holidays up my sleeve. All I can do is accept what is, stay positive and hope to learn all the lessons presented here.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
It certainly teaches us to let go of trying to control our lives. As I'm only newly diagnosed I go through many phases at the moment. Despair, disbelief, anger and frustration. I live alone, pay a mortgage and run my own business... hmm, nope no sick leave or holidays up my sleeve. All I can do is accept what is, stay positive and hope to learn all the lessons presented here.
Have you checked out "How to be Sick" by Toni Bernhard? A Buddhist inspired guide to living as well as possible with ME/CFS..

Nixstar

Have you checked out "How to be Sick" by Toni Bernhard? A Buddhist inspired guide to living as well as possible with ME/CFS..
I haven't but since it comes recommended I shall track it down. Thank you. I'm finding it difficult to get hold of a doctor with any experience in the field and apart from my sister, my family think I've been misdiagnosed or am just a bit tired. Grrr, so yes I will read the book as I need some kind of compass to guide me!

fdotx

I came down with the flu this week and didn't know I had it until I started coughing up phlegm. My thoughts are that I'm so used to the fatigue, aching and heavy limbs, I didn't notice my body coming down with the flu. Has anyone else experienced this?
Yep, not uncommon for me to not know if I'm really sick or it's just the flu feeling of the chronic stuff. Back in 2000 I thought I was just having a prolonged spell of that and turns out I had walking pneumonia.

It does teach one humility...
Before getting sick, if I saw a person wearing a neck brace I arrogantly assumed they were faking. I was in superb health, what was their problem? Didn't they know that a schedule of vigorous physical activity was essential for keeping a body fit? What was it about "use it or lose it" that they were not getting exactly? Physical activity was a stimulant for me, better than any drug, and I was perpetually upbeat and cheerful.

Humility for me means "to the earth". Ten years ago, I slammed into Mother Gaia with a thud. Overnight. I have been taught humility. While not as quick to judge, upbeat and cheerful are dim memories. I now get the experience of having others look at me and wonder why I can't just suck it up. They say I look good. What is my problem? Worst part is, I have no answer.

I know what it is like to bonk at the end of a run, bike, run event. To stumble past the bagel bar and face plant near the port-o-pottys. Next day I was feeling better than ever and ready to rumble. What did not kill me made me stronger. It was all about pushing myself to the limit and it felt great.

That ship has sailed. CFS aint like that. Rest has lost its efficacy. The exhilaration that exercise or employment used to bring is replaced with a feeling of weakness and dread. Ten minutes after starting anything, I used to feel my body shift into high gear and now I am moaning in agony ten minutes into any physical or mental activity, and the knockout blow of post exertion crash is waiting to finish me. Post Exertional Crash is as if my body shuts itself down as a precaution so I don't damage it by continuing whatever activity I am doing. Similar to a electrical circuit breaker.
Yeah, I know tired. This is something else.

If I may take the liberty of including this link? It speaks to humility, I think.

If I KNOW I have Fibromyalgia but have all 5 fatigue types plus some; does that mean I have both FM & CF. I am also an insomniac. If I got 6 hrs I would be thrilled, especially if it were uninterrupted.

Lissa

Before getting sick, if I saw a person wearing a neck brace I arrogantly assumed they were faking. I was in superb health, what was their problem? Didn't they know that a schedule of vigorous physical activity was essential for keeping a body fit? What was it about "use it or lose it" that they were not getting exactly? Physical activity was a stimulant for me, better than any drug, and I was perpetually upbeat and cheerful.

Humility for me means "to the earth". Ten years ago, I slammed into Mother Gaia with a thud. Overnight. I have been taught humility. While not as quick to judge, upbeat and cheerful are dim memories. I now get the experience of having others look at me and wonder why I can't just suck it up. They say I look good. What is my problem? Worst part is, I have no answer.

I know what it is like to bonk at the end of a run, bike, run event. To stumble past the bagel bar and face plant near the port-o-pottys. Next day I was feeling better than ever and ready to rumble. What did not kill me made me stronger. It was all about pushing myself to the limit and it felt great.

That ship has sailed. CFS aint like that. Rest has lost its efficacy. The exhilaration that exercise or employment used to bring is replaced with a feeling of weakness and dread. Ten minutes after starting anything, I used to feel my body shift into high gear and now I am moaning in agony ten minutes into any physical or mental activity, and the knockout blow of post exertion crash is waiting to finish me. Post Exertional Crash is as if my body shuts itself down as a precaution so I don't damage it by continuing whatever activity I am doing. Similar to a electrical circuit breaker.

If I may take the liberty of including this link? It speaks to humility, I think.

Wow! Great description John! I can't count the number of times I've tried to explain to people that a crash is like bonking after a strenuous hike (with considerable elevation changes and scrambles) plus you ran out out of food/water along the way.

Only with ME/CFS that happens from walking to the mailbox or just getting off the couch. Unfortunately people tend to think it sounds like a total exageration because it's incomprehensible to them.

We may "get it", but what a crappy club we belong to!!!!

Jenni

I came down with the flu this week and didn't know I had it until I started coughing up phlegm. My thoughts are that I'm so used to the fatigue, aching and heavy limbs, I didn't notice my body coming down with the flu. Has anyone else experienced this?
Yup, the only way I know I'm actually sick is if my head stuffs up or I get a nasty cough.

Maureen

This happens to me so often.....it can take several days before I realise I've got a virus.....then at least I feel relieved that it's not my ME getting worse.....good to hear though I'm not alone,as I do feel "Why didn't I realise sooner?".....but as you say we are so used to feeling ill,it's hard to tease out something on top of the ME!

Katherine Autry

I picked three, but actually I could check "all of the above." Different types of fatigue at different times, plus I have both ME/CFS and FM. I left out the tired-but-wired because I get that when I've exceeded my "energy envelope" )or "spoons" or whatever term you prefer) and these days I mostly manage to avoid that, but in the early days of being sick I had it more often.

There's also the somnambulant kind, when you absolutely can't keep your eyes open and it feels like you've been drugged.
Same here. I have both diagnoses and could check all of the above. Barely able to keep my eyes open, I go to bed. Lying in bed trying to relax the muscle tension throughout my body - Im all tensed up like i'm trying not to fall off a ledge....as I start to doze off I "startle" awake like an infant....that would probably qualify as "wired but tired". But I had exceeded my 3 options. :)

Katherine Autry

This happens to me so often.....it can take several days before I realise I've got a virus.....then at least I feel relieved that it's not my ME getting worse.....good to hear though I'm not alone,as I do feel "Why didn't I realise sooner?".....but as you say we are so used to feeling ill,it's hard to tease out something on top of the ME!

I never know when I am actually sick. My immune system is too weak to generate a fever but I feel feverish/sick all the time. So, yes, coughing up phlegm is one clue, along with swollen glands, stomach cramps, etc.

A study found that people with chronic fatigue syndrome regularly experienced five different types of fatigue while healthy controls only regularly experienced one.

[fright]View attachment 439[/fright]
  • ‘Post-exertional fatigue (or malaise)’ occurs after physical or mental exertion; it is considered a hallmark symptom of this disease.
  • ‘Brain fog’ – involves having difficulty with words and concentration; it is considered a hallmark symptom of this disease
  • ‘Wired But Tired fatigue’ – is characterized by low energy levels accompanied by a feeling of over stimulation
  • Molasses Fatigue’ – is characterized by a feeling of heaviness in the limbs
  • Flu-like fatigue
In the poll below please choose the diagnosis that fits you best (ME/CFS or FM) and pick the three types of fatigue you experience the most.
Had the flu-like fatigue for years but then the sore throats and headaches went away once I no longer had active EBV and started taking vitamins and extra magnesium. I also having idiopathic peripheral neuropathy which is treated with Neurontin's generic which is Gabapentin. I don't tend to have the wired but tired.

Carole

Unrefreshed sleep.
Fatigue that never, ever abates.
Weakness! Power outage! body fuse blown...
All senses dulled, cognitive functions low to nonexistent.
I am dead on my feet.
literally.
Dead.
Lacking the life force required to worry about what will happen next to family, where I will access food and shelter or what others with think of me.
Surrender is a metaphysical event.
Letting go opens the way to grace.

Totally agree with this one.
I have to surrender to it when I get this bad.

Trying to pace myself-so this doesn't happen.

stress usually knocks me over the edge.

Have to keep saying "Let it go"

Also I have dropped several Negative people in my life-that I did not know were negative-
What a relief!!!!!!

Carole

Cort

Staff member

John you should really tell your story in full...

Cort

Staff member
Totally agree with this one.
I have to surrender to it when I get this bad.

Trying to pace myself-so this doesn't happen.

stress usually knocks me over the edge.

Have to keep saying "Let it go"

Also I have dropped several Negative people in my life-that I did not know were negative-
What a relief!!!!!!

Carole
Good for you! Gotta make some hard choices...

Carole

John you should really tell your story in full...
I totally agree that John needs to tell us more.
We all know what he means.
I have always been overly active with Physical exercise -even teaching.
I still do Yoga before I get up. It does get my Brain working better.

More John-of your advice. You are right on!!!!!

Carole

Carole

Wow! Great description John! I can't count the number of times I've tried to explain to people that a crash is like bonking after a strenuous hike (with considerable elevation changes and scrambles) plus you ran out out of food/water along the way.

Only with ME/CFS that happens from walking to the mailbox or just getting off the couch. Unfortunately people tend to think it sounds like a total exageration because it's incomprehensible to them.

We may "get it", but what a crappy club we belong to!!!!

Lissa- When I am ask to go somewhere or do something with a HEALTHY person, my comment is
always- "I want to-but will have to let you know-I am not the same one day to the next.
This INCLUDES FAMILY THAT DOES NOT GET IT!!!!!!

Carole

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources