• sick more than five years - muscle pain and weakness

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • sick less than five years - NO muscle pain or weakness

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • sick more than five years - NO muscle pain or weakness

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tina

I am trying to capture the percentage of people who have muscle pain vs muscle weakness vs both vs none. I am also trying to figure out if those of us who do have muscle involvement developed this symptom later in the disease.
My muscle pain and weakness began 5 to 6 years in. I would say it was more pain than weakness at first. It felt like lactic acid build up in my thighs. Like I had been working out when I hadn't. Eventually it became weakness.

Last edited:

weyland

I believe the M in the name came from one of the more striking features of the sudden onset British epidemic cases. These were the patients being seen in the acute phase of the disease. I don't believe that myalgia has to be an ongoing feature of the disease in the chronic phase, one study puts the figure at 80% with myalgia, characteristically in the limbs, shoulders, spinal muscles, and intercostal muscles. All patients with true ME should have muscle weakness in response to exertion.

I've experienced all of these things. During my acute onset, I had severe myalgia in my lower limbs, especially concentrated in my calf muscles. This is specifically mentioned by Ramsay. I did not notice any muscle weakness during the acute phase as was characteristic in several of the severe acute epidemic cases recorded. In the chronic phase now, on a good day when rested I don't experience any significant muscle pain or weakness. If I overexert to the point of PEM, I get the flu-like myalgia in my legs. If I overuse muscles they will become weak and sore for a while.

Dechi

I've been ill 2 years but symptomatic for 4 years. It all started with the lactic acid feeling in the legs, without the pain. It progressed to lactic acid and weakness in all muscles, still no pain.

I do have pain now but In my opinion it's due to not moving enough and postural problems due to sitting too much.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources