The Poll: Is the Affordable Care Act Working for People with ME/CFS and FM?

What is your experience of the Affordable Care Act?

• Very favorable

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Mostly favorable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat favorable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Somewhat negative

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Mostly negative

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Very negative

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
[fright]
Health.jpg

[/fright] The Supreme Court's recent decision appears to have removed the last major obstacle to the Affordable Care Act (ACA). It appears the ACA is here to stay. If you've been impacted in some way by the ACA please tell us if it's been helpful or hurtful.

It's a complex situation. Neither coverage or cost may be determined on the basis of pre-existing illnesses - that's good for ME/CFS/FM patients. Costs may have declined for some but raised for others. Coverage is generally better but bargain basement plans are basically out in the ACA.

If you've been effected by the ACA please tell us your experience of it and why.

Cort

Staff member
[fright] View attachment 488

[/fright] The Supreme Court's recent decision appears to have removed the last major obstacle to the Affordable Care Act (ACA). It appears the ACA is here to stay. If you've been impacted in some way by the ACA please tell us if it's been helpful or hurtful.

It's a complex situation. Neither coverage or cost may be determined on the basis of pre-existing illnesses - that's good for ME/CFS/FM patients. Costs may have declined for some but raised for others. Coverage is generally better but bargain basement plans are basically out in the ACA.

If you've been effected by the ACA please tell us your experience of it and why.
The AFA has been VERY helpful to me because of the subsidies. Without them I would be paying an enormous proportion of my income on health care (or not getting any). Now I have good health care at a price I can afford and I don't have to add the 25% pre-existing illness penalty. It's been a huge load off.

BBaker

I am on Medicare, thank goodness, but my daughter still lives with me and is a student. Our state did not expand Medicaid so she is too rich for unexpanded Medicaid and too poor for an ACA subsidy. So she is uninsured and has both kidney and heart problems. We were blessed to get charity care prior to the ACA but my fear is now that they won't give charity any more because they think everyone has insurance through the ACA. My other family members and friends have seen their premiums and deductibles skyrocket!

swimgirl

My GP closed his office because of increasing government regulations and the ACA. This greatly saddened me because he understood CFS and office visits were 45 minutes. We also have a doctor shortage in my town, created by the ACA,
and most savvy doctors are not accepting new patients, so I have to go to Urgent Care and a three hour wait for a short visit, or my Fibro Clinic which is nearly two hours away, too far for me to drive without great fatigue.

Who Me?

I don't see how it can. An ME doc is an ME doc. Now that I think about it, it might be better (if you qualify) though since Medicare limits who patients an see.

I have to pay out of my pocket to see my NP. She's the only one of the many docs I've seen who even has a clue.

Cort

Staff member
My GP closed his office because of increasing government regulations and the ACA. This greatly saddened me because he understood CFS and office visits were 45 minutes. We also have a doctor shortage in my town, created by the ACA,
and most savvy doctors are not accepting new patients, so I have to go to Urgent Care and a three hour wait for a short visit, or my Fibro Clinic which is nearly two hours away, too far for me to drive without great fatigue.
Your GP actually stopped being a doctor because of government regulations - wow - that's really something. May be he objected to the requirement that he create a electronic data system?

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources