Tramadol Does More Than Relieve Pain

Not dead yet!

I took Tramadol daily for about 9 years, and yes, it did the same immediately for me - clarity of thought, ability to work better and it really helped both the fatigue and the bizarre, debilitating pain that seemed to be from my skin to the deepest bone, muscle and tissue. It felt miraculous. I believe it was 200mg/day.

At some point, it was not working and I began to have stomach problems. Ended in ED with non-productive retching. I was admitted and found I had an ulcer from the Ibuprofen (maybe due to the Tramadol too, I forget now) that I was taking to replace the non-working Tramadol. I tried to stop the Tramadol on my own but had vicious headaches and pain and crashes. While in the hospital I told them I wanted to stop the Tramadol and they assisted me medically to do so. I was very lucky. I don’t know if that would happen today. You’re wise to be careful but I certainly understand the enticement.

I have a long list of meds I won’t go near again but that’s me (and ME).

Thankfully, we don’t all react in the same way and, unfortunately, we all don’t react in the same way depending on the circumstances.

Not sure how long ago this was, in recent years (within about 10 years), it has been shown that aspirin, ibuprofen, and similar NSAIDS only give the opportunity for ulcers. That is, they cause erosion, and when that erosion gets far enough, an opportunistic bacteria called H Pylorii begins to grow in the wound. Killing the bacteria cuases the wound to heal. I've been through one H. Pylorii series of antibiotics. They're strong and they made me unbearably nauseous, but I finished them. Afterward, a whole lot of gut symptoms stopped for years. They slowly crept back since.

H Pylorii is found everywhere, and can't be avoided, it's like herpes virus, and a very large majority of people have it in their gut. You can try to avoid reinfection but it means monogamy with someone who doesn't have it, using your own distilled water, and using tap water only for cleaning. It's really more than most people can handle to avoid it. But if you do have an ulcer again, it's worth it to kill the H Pylorii because otherwise the wound has a hard time healing.

Research on H Pylorii is ongoing: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6136348/

Issie

Not sure how long ago this was, in recent years (within about 10 years), it has been shown that aspirin, ibuprofen, and similar NSAIDS only give the opportunity for ulcers. That is, they cause erosion, and when that erosion gets far enough, an opportunistic bacteria called H Pylorii begins to grow in the wound. Killing the bacteria cuases the wound to heal. I've been through one H. Pylorii series of antibiotics. They're strong and they made me unbearably nauseous, but I finished them. Afterward, a whole lot of gut symptoms stopped for years. They slowly crept back since.

H Pylorii is found everywhere, and can't be avoided, it's like herpes virus, and a very large majority of people have it in their gut. You can try to avoid reinfection but it means monogamy with someone who doesn't have it, using your own distilled water, and using tap water only for cleaning. It's really more than most people can handle to avoid it. But if you do have an ulcer again, it's worth it to kill the H Pylorii because otherwise the wound has a hard time healing.

Research on H Pylorii is ongoing: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6136348/
Here's something much easier on you for this. Also used to eliminate Lyme and hopefully MARCONS.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4007043/

Farmgirl

This is a helpful thread everybody! Haven't read it all, but I will eventually.

I am on Tramadol currently 50mg once a day, because the LDN just wasn't cutting it. I still take an ultra low dose of LDN with it.

I won't be on it for long but it has helped with the bad crash I am currently in.

Ian Mills

I found the same effects from tramadol. The 100mg 24 hour pill was amazing! But I could at most take it twice a week to avoid tolerance and withdrawal. A few years ago I switched to kratom. Exact same effects but I can take it 2 out of every 3 days without worrying about tolerance/withdrawal

The only thing I miss about tramadol is the amazing sleep! From what I've read kratom should be similarly useful for sleep but it has a shorter duration and taking more than 2 doses on my on days does lead to withdrawal symptoms

HelenM

Hi, just come across this thread on googling to see if anyone else found tramadol helpful.

Ive been taking 3 pills a day for the last 5 years and it still works just as well on giving me a bit of energy and clearing the brain fog/quickening brain. It doesnt work for pain much now which is what I originally had it for (sciatica back issues).

Definitely something about tramadol thats good!! Codeine on the other hand binds ro the same receptors but makes me sleepy and slower.

HelenM

Anyone thats tried LDN, did you find that the tramadol energy/clearing brain fog ability completely went? I took LDN at night and tramadol in the morning, yet I got none of the good effects of tramadol. Just felt sleepy instead.

Steve

Hi, just come across this thread on googling to see if anyone else found tramadol helpful.

Ive been taking 3 pills a day for the last 5 years and it still works just as well on giving me a bit of energy and clearing the brain fog/quickening brain. It doesnt work for pain much now which is what I originally had it for (sciatica back issues).

Definitely something about tramadol thats good!! Codeine on the other hand binds ro the same receptors but makes me sleepy and slower.
“It doesnt work for pain much now which is what I originally had it for (sciatica back issues).”...Unfortunately, that’s a pretty big problem for most of us. I’m taking 7 tabs a day, certainly the max for my weight, and this hasn’t reduced pain by more than 10% for five years.You’re lucky it helps with other issues, which I don’t have. I hate tramadol, it has caused some dreadful side effects but opiates don’t work at all for me so I’m stuck with 10%.

Issie

I still take Tramadol occasionally, but not regularly. As mentioned earlier I had to cycle on and off or it would quite working. I also would go back on lower amounts and not keep upping for the same reason.

I did find PEA after awhile to be helpful for pain. It works on cannabidiol receptors. But that too seemed to not be something I stayed on long term. I'd get a bit of brain fog with it. It also took awhile for me to notice it helped pain. Had to build up.

I'm experimenting with some other ideas at the moment and so far being able to stay off Tramadol and PEA. Just an occasional use of Tramadol.

As for question of using LDN and Tramadol......my doc told me that it won't work, correctly, to be on both. I did have a different doc tell me I could use one in the morning and other at night. But that seemed counter productive. LDN did help pain and sleep.....but gave me most horrible and deep depression. Did the same thing to my sister. Wasn't worth staying on it for us.

Last edited:

Steve

You are not quite right about LDN effects. ULDN (ultralowdose) at .001 mg to.01 mg potentiates tramadol, ULD from .01-maybe 10 mg suppresses endocannabinoid response for about four hours after ingestion, then enhances opiod production for twenty hours. fifty mg, of course, is for addiction treatment, suppresses cravings.
if you go the the LDN Research Facebook group you’ll find a lot more info.
I take 5 micrograms of LDNwith 100-150 mg of tramadol three times daily to potentiate tramadol’s feeble analgesic effect.

jaminhealth

I think I tried some Tramadol some yrs ago and it did nothing, so no more. No brain fog here, grape seed extract has kept my brain clear.

Steve

In the end, I ended up on 350 mg tramadol for almost two years, with poor effect. I’m currently tapering it to zero using suboxone and prosac to cover both effects of tramadol. When I’m off tramadol and prosac, two SSRI meds, I’ll be able to try TMS, Transcranial Magnetic Therapy. I have a lot of hope on this, no treatments left and I don’t want to be on suboxone the rest of my life though it’s the only med that has taken away pain. There is good prelim data on TMS for FM.

Isander

I avoided Tramadol but take Tylex ie codeine at night as it is the only drug that deals with the appalling foot and leg pain form severe raynaud's. and lets me sleep.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources