Transdermal Medications to Relieve Pain in Fibromyalgia

AnneVA

My dd has used voltaren gel (prescription), really likes arnica gel (OTC. Helped her get off heavy doses of ibuprofen for an AC separation on her shoulder). Lidoderm patches were good but she uses them only occasion. Menthol creams bother her with the smell. She has not been dx'ed with fibro but has dealt with lots of pain, both joint and muscular, nerve, etc.

tandrsc

I have a recipe for pain gel. I don't know if it would help, but I've been using it on my touch of arthritis and it helps that.

Xanthan gum is usually in the "free from" or baking section; it's used for gluten free baking.
All the spices can easily be found in the supermarket (at least, they can in mine).

1tsp honey or vegetable oil (olive, grapeseed etc - any will do)
1/8 tsp xanthan gum
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp ground ginger
4 or 5 dried juniper berries
Some ground black pepper (3 or 4 turns of your pepper mill)
3 tbsp witch hazel

1. Put the witch hazel in a jar along with the cayenne, ginger, juniper berries and black pepper. Give it a shake and leave it to steep overnight (the longer the better).

2. Place a paper kitchen towel in the bottom of a bowl and pour the witch hazel into the centre of the paper towel. Bring together the four corners of the paper towel and gently squeeze out all the liquid. With any luck all the bits will have stayed in the towel.

3. In another bowel, mix together the honey (or oil) with the xanthan gum. Make sure they are well mixed.

4. Add all the witch hazel to the xanthan gum mixture and stir until it turns into a gel. If you are using oil rather than honey you'll need to stir more vigorously, but it will get there in the end.

5. Store in a glass jar with a lid. It seems to keep just fine without putting it in the fridge.

St Bridie

I use Bio Freeze, but the effect doesn't last long. I have found Turmeric help with my pain and would recommend using in cooking and taking in tablet form. Ginger and peppermint help tremendously with nausea. I hope my recommendations help others.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources