Trazodone (Desreyel)

Who Me?

For those who want to take this, avoid the generics by Teva and Pliva. I have a reaction to them and a number of people I know say it's garbage and doesn't work. Also, you need to taper if you want to stop this. I successfully tapered off 50 mgs over the course of a month, dropping by 1/4 tab every week.

Good ones are Apotex, Major and Qualitest.

techgeek

Can you comment on this - specifically the doses used - "Another 2011 fibromyalgia trial study found that Trazodone in combination with Lyrica (pregbalin) produced significant improvements in morning stiffness, pain and anxiety."? I rotate between Trazodone and Gabapentin for sleep and neither work better than OK, maybe the answer is the combination.

Who Me?

They key for me for sleep is have about 10 things to rotate. Sleep initiators and sleep sustainers. Rotating avoids tolerance. We all have to experiment and find what works best for us.

I have rx and otc stuff and I layer about 4 things every night, never using the same combo 3 nights
In a row.

As for lyrica, I can't even look at it without gaining weight. Same with gabapentin.

I had good luck for awhile with trazodone and suntheanine.

I would think if that combo was that good lots of people would be using it. I never heard anyone comment on it that I can remember

You might want to start a thread with this study and ask for comments.

IrisRV

For those who want to take this, avoid the generics by Teva and Pliva. I have a reaction to them and a number of people I know say it's garbage and doesn't work. Also, you need to taper if you want to stop this. I successfully tapered off 50 mgs over the course of a month, dropping by 1/4 tab every week.

Good ones are Apotex, Major and Qualitest.
I heartily concur. Teva and Pliva brands made me feel dreadful. I'm pretty tough and persistent, but I couldn't take them.

Apotex works best for me, although I've done okay on Qualitest. With the Apotex brand I sleep really well, and have no bad side effects. I was on it for years with only benefits. Then I got Teva. It is like night and day. My doctor now writes Apotex Only on my prescription. The mail order pharmacy my insurance uses won't honor that, but my local pharmacy will.

Who Me?

There is only one local pharmacy where I can get Apotex. Everyone else is Pliva or Teva.

I also found out that one company, shoot can't remember the name right now, says it's their brand but they are just a Pliva distributor. Now I google image the Manufacturer to see what I'm getting.

I think above I said Major was good but I think I meant Mutual.

IrisRV

There is only one local pharmacy where I can get Apotex. Everyone else is Pliva or Teva.
I don't know if this applies everywhere, but...
My local pharmacy only carries Pliva or Teva also, but when my doctor writes Apotex Only on the prescription they say that allows them to order that specific generic... and they do. It takes a few extra days because it has to be ordered, but that's not a big deal. I just have to plan ahead.

All it took for me to get my doctor to write Apotex Only was a clear description of the side effects and the fact that I tried switching back and forth and the symptoms only occurred with the bad generics. I also pointed out that the symptoms start as soon as I start the med and stop shortly after I quit taking it. And my doctor is not inclined to dismiss everything I say as irrational or hysterical. That helps.

Who Me?

My local pharmacy only carries Pliva or Teva also, but when my doctor writes Apotex Only on the prescription they say that allows them to order that specific generic... and they do. It takes a few extra days because it has to be ordered, but that's not a big deal. I just have to plan ahead.

All it took for me to get my doctor to write Apotex Only was a clear description of the side effects and the fact that I tried switching back and forth and the symptoms only occurred with the bad generics. I also pointed out that the symptoms start as soon as I start the med and stop shortly after I quit taking it. And my doctor is not inclined to dismiss everything I say as irrational or hysterical. That helps.

I do know if the doc writes it on the RX they are supposed to get it. One of the pharmacies that I use that delivers has said if their wholesaler/supplier doesn't have it they can't get it.

And since the one where I have my RX has no problem getting it for me I follow the path of least resistance.

But this is good info for others stuck with a crap generic.

Upgrayedd

They key for me for sleep is have about 10 things to rotate. Sleep initiators and sleep sustainers. Rotating avoids tolerance. We all have to experiment and find what works best for us.

I have rx and otc stuff and I layer about 4 things every night, never using the same combo 3 nights
In a row.

Lately, I've found that Elavil greatly helps me to fall asleep easily, but I still wake up throughout the night, like I'm on a wave of sleep that goes to close to the surface.

Have you, or anyone, every combined Trazodone with Elavil? I know about serotonin syndrome, but I don't think that would be a problem at low doses. I'm thinking that perhaps the pair would help both sleep initiation and sustaining quality sleep.

Thoughts?

Any other ideas for Rx or supplements that help with sustaining/prolonging sleep? I've never had much success with L-theanine, 5-HTP, etc.

Who Me?

I always wake up around 3 or 4 a.m. I try to use OTC then since I still have meds in me from 10 pm.

I alternate with Ambien, Triazolam, Trazodone, Doxepin, Seroquel, Zanaflex, etizolam, oxazepam. Probably more. I experiment with a lot of different things.

Then I add OTC antihistamines, Kava, Passion Flower, Theanine.

Lately I've been experimenting with Phenibut, Oleamide and Baicalin which I get from www.liftmode.com

Upgrayedd

I always wake up around 3 or 4 a.m. I try to use OTC then since I still have meds in me from 10 pm.

I alternate with Ambien, Triazolam, Trazodone, Doxepin, Seroquel, Zanaflex, etizolam, oxazepam. Probably more. I experiment with a lot of different things.

Then I add OTC antihistamines, Kava, Passion Flower, Theanine.

Lately I've been experimenting with Phenibut, Oleamide and Baicalin which I get from www.liftmode.com

Wow - I don't have access to all of the same Rx meds as you, but I have tried some of them and some of the OTCs. Mixed results with Phenibut. Maybe a Benadryl would be enough to keep my sleeping more soundly, along with the Elavil.

I managed to stay awake on Ambien - just kinda trippy insomnia for a few hours.

Who Me?

I had a PCP who got it about sleep but he's retiring

Ambien alone will do nothing for me, I have to layer it. And recently, phenibut which I love is actually amping me.

I use doxylamine, which is cheap and the ingredient in chlortrimetron.

I used to take benedryl but it started giving me tachycardia.

Oh another good one is dramamine.

Lots of things can be gotten from overseas with no RX.

Upgrayedd

Thanks for the tips. I've used Benadryl and I was planning on trying chlortrimetron. Never thought of Dramamine if I wasn't flying (or on a boat), but that's a good idea.

I liked phenibut at first, but it seems to be changing for me as well. I've used picamilon too, but that is getting harder to find.

I have klonopin and Xanax too, but I try not to use them unless I'm really stuck and wide awake.

Who Me?

Thanks for the tips. I've used Benadryl and I was planning on trying chlortrimetron. Never thought of Dramamine if I wasn't flying (or on a boat), but that's a good idea.

I liked phenibut at first, but it seems to be changing for me as well. I've used picamilon too, but that is getting harder to find.

I have klonopin and Xanax too, but I try not to use them unless I'm really stuck and wide awake.

I start off with 3 or 4 things at 10. Then if I'm still up in an hour I add something else. I can almost feel one spot in my brain that is awake and will not "shut off" without a benzo. I've tried not using them. I do not sleep at all.

I got a huge bottle of chlortrimetron (active ingredient) on ebay I think for cheap. Doxylamine is cheap too. I may have to try dramamine again. Equate has cheap bottles.

Also if you want to know where to get stuff overseas PM me. Zanaflex (which I like) is cheap and other stuff I use. Google etizolam

November Girl

What side effects did you get from the Pliva or Teva? I've never paid attention to the manufacturer, but none of my symptoms are consistent over the course of a month or two, so it's hard to tell what might trigger a difference.

Who Me?

I can't quite remember what it did to me since it was a few years ago but it either gave me a slamming headache or made me feel speedy. Since those aren't usual for me I knew it was the Trazodone.

The other thing with those generics is they just don't work as well. If you google Teva Trazodone reviews plenty of people say they are crap.

November Girl

That might explain why I now take 200 mg, instead of the 100 mg I took about 2 years ago! I'll definitely check what brand I'm taking.
I can't quite remember what it did to me since it was a few years ago but it either gave me a slamming headache or made me feel speedy. Since those aren't usual for me I knew it was the Trazodone.

The other thing with those generics is they just don't work as well. If you google Teva Trazodone reviews plenty of people say they are crap.

IrisRV

What side effects did you get from the Pliva or Teva? I've never paid attention to the manufacturer, but none of my symptoms are consistent over the course of a month or two, so it's hard to tell what might trigger a difference.
Severe depression with suicidal ideation. Completely abnormal for me. It comes on with the first Pliva/Teva dose and goes away as soon as I stop taking it. I know immediately when I've gotten the wrong generic because the symptom is very sudden and very clear. Peculiar and disturbing. Apotex and Qualitest don't have that effect at all.

November Girl

Severe depression with suicidal ideation. Completely abnormal for me. It comes on with the first Pliva/Teva dose and goes away as soon as I stop taking it. I know immediately when I've gotten the wrong generic because the symptom is very sudden and very clear. Peculiar and disturbing. Apotex and Qualitest don't have that effect at all.
Yikes! I've been fortunate. I do have the Pliva. I have a two month supply left. I'll talk to my doctor about a switch then.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources