Two Day Cognitive Test?

tandrsc

I was just wondering if anyone as seen any research regarding a two day cognitive test.

Quite a bit has been done now with the two day exercise test which revealed a great deal that a single exercise test could not.

As the research so far has been unable to find significant declines in cognitive ability in a single test, could cognitive ability also decline in the way that physical ability declines into the second day?

I may have missed it, but I haven't seen it anywhere.

E

EYAKLLE

I think neuropsychological charting is essential over the years as are blood tests related to brain cytokine/chemokine markers in different parts of the diseased brain/stem. I think it s really important to chart.

Who Me?

Many years ago I had 2 day testing by Linda Miller-Iger. She used the MMPI and a few other tests I can't remember. It took 2 days and at the end she said I had the cognitive functioning of a 4th grader. or maybe it was 6th because now I'm probably a 4th grader.

IrisRV

...could cognitive ability also decline in the way that physical ability declines into the second day?

Isn't the CDC planning cognitive testing before and for several days after exercise? That might reveal much of what you're thinking about -- a cognitive decline over time after a physical stressor.

tandrsc

Isn't the CDC planning cognitive testing before and for several days after exercise? That might reveal much of what you're thinking about -- a cognitive decline over time after a physical stressor.

Possibly, but I'm really thinking of a cognitive version of the two day exercise test. Not so much a decline after a physical stressor, but the inability to sustain any sort of performance two days in a row.

IrisRV

Possibly, but I'm really thinking of a cognitive version of the two day exercise test. Not so much a decline after a physical stressor, but the inability to sustain any sort of performance two days in a row.
So you're thinking a cognitive test one day and then another cognitive test the next?

I believe the current thinking is that any kind of exertion, mental or physical, affects both mental and physical function downstream, and that physical exertion is clearer (easier to assess the magnitude of the exertion) and more severe (giving clearer post-exertions results).

We have so little funding, I suspect researchers are not ready to dig into the details of the effects of different kinds of exertion quite yet. It's an interesting question, though. I hope somebody gets around to it someday.

ShyestofFlies

I think a few days of mental testing to map the decline between your average healthy person and people with me/cfs could be excellent data. A whole week of testing and mapping cognitive fatigue recovery times after that would be very useful to demonstrate the impact of cognitive energy stores.

tandrsc

So you're thinking a cognitive test one day and then another cognitive test the next?

Yes, exactly.

I'm under the impression that current cognitive testing only shows us to be slower, not less accurate. I'm sure a two day test would show otherwise. Over a week as @ShyestofFlies suggests would be even more indicative.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I was just wondering if anyone as seen any research regarding a two day cognitive test.

Quite a bit has been done now with the two day exercise test which revealed a great deal that a single exercise test could not.

As the research so far has been unable to find significant declines in cognitive ability in a single test, could cognitive ability also decline in the way that physical ability declines into the second day?

I may have missed it, but I haven't seen it anywhere.
I think its a great idea. The Japanese did do a study with a more difficult cognitive test which revealed, as I remember, many more cognitive problems than other studies had shown. I think they are missing something with the current testing regimen.

I think the exercise study at the NIH will include before and after cognitive testing

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources