Vacation Inquiry #2: If You Could Go Somewhere Where Would You Go?

fdotx

I would go on a 5 year trip around the world, staying places long enough to immerse myself in the culture. New Zealand, Australia, Scandanavia, Patagonia, and Europe would be top choices. I'd go by plane, train, automobile, bike, foot and boat. I also have a dream of moving to Equador for a few years after a friend sent me info on expats living there...

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I am able to get around. I may even get up to Alaska this summer - all it takes is driving...but since resources in this scenario are taken care of and resources (ie money) are what I don't have - if I had them I would go to Europe and visit art museums!

guggenheim_museum_bilbao_spain-wide.jpg

It's a crying shame I don't live near a good art museum. I can spend all day in them... I wouldn't say I'm good at pacing though (lol)

Cort

Staff member
I would go on a 5 year trip around the world, staying places long enough to immerse myself in the culture. New Zealand, Australia, Scandanavia, Patagonia, and Europe would be top choices. I'd go by plane, train, automobile, bike, foot and boat. I also have a dream of moving to Equador for a few years after a friend sent me info on expats living there...
Big dreams fdotx! I hope you get there.

Cort

Staff member
I would go to Thailand and then on an elephant trek to the palaces in India. Still plan to do it!
Adventurous! My sister and her husband did that...and unforgettable trip in several ways....

Telula

Australia and New Zealand
Japan: Tokyo for the anime and everywhere else for the old architecture and temples.
Thailand maybe
Egypt (though beware because a friend of mine went and said the food there is pretty unhealthy and it was hard even for her healthy stomach to get used to it so if you're on an allergy or other diet Egypt hasn't gotten to the accommodating bit yet)
Italy
And many different beaches. I'd love to learn to surf if my balance wouldn't get worse every year and I could be strong enough to swim against tides and currents.

Larissa

I would go visit my 90 year old father in NJ. He always has to come here because I'm not well enough to go there. I really miss going there! I have so many wonderful memories of my dad's house on the lake. Every summer I tell myself "next summer you'll get there" and next summer never comes........

San Diego

I would work for 6 months and stockpile money, then travel til funds ran low. Rinse and repeat.

I’d start with a summer on my childhood farm, watching thunderstorms kick up dust, listening to the bulls bellow, and eating nothing fresh sweet corn for a week. Like @Larissa, every summer I tell myself “next summer you’ll get there” and next summer never comes………..

Then, I’d buy the cheapest airfare I could find, explore and learn at that location, then find the next cheap ticket and move on wherever it took me.

After being bed-bound and house-bound for so long, with the minutia of my life planned out to avoid worsening, I think there would be great delight in uncovering unexpected treasures and going with the flow, wasting time as if there would always be tomorrow.

maybe next year….. maybe.

Telula

I would go visit my 90 year old father in NJ. He always has to come here because I'm not well enough to go there. I really miss going there! I have so many wonderful memories of my dad's house on the lake. Every summer I tell myself "next summer you'll get there" and next summer never comes........
That sounds lovely and I'm sending a wish to the universe for you that you can go see your dad soon.
I miss my nana, she's also in her 90s but can't travel or leave her bed anymore, but I so dearly wish I could see her again.

Larissa

That sounds lovely and I'm sending a wish to the universe for you that you can go see your dad soon.
I miss my nana, she's also in her 90s but can't travel or leave her bed anymore, but I so dearly wish I could see her again.
That's so sweet Telula! Thank you! I really hope you get to see your nana again!

Tami

I hope the summer will come that you'll be able to visit!

Merry

My memory of how wretched I felt traveling remains so intense that the idea of travel no longer appeals to me. Nonetheless, I can think of places I might, in another life, venture to.

Rustem Pasha Mosque, Turkey
Rustem Pasha Mosque.jpg

It is possible to tour the mosque online. http://www.3dmekanlar.com/en/rustem-pasha-mosque.html

Wisteria Tunnel, Japan
wisteria tunnel Japan.jpg

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/wisteria-tunnel

Merry Cemetery, Romania
merry cemetery Romania.jpg

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/merry-cemetery and http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/curious-fact-of-the-week-merry-cemetery

Atlas Obscura is a good place online to explore the world. http://www.atlasobscura.com/

What comes up for me is transition. No endings, but rather the cosmic cycle alone endures.

I am darn near broke and too sick to work. I have been waiting for my SSDI appeal to be heard at hearing for 13 months. Fear tells me my house will be sold at auction on the steps of the County Courthouse for taxes after the Administrative Law Judge denies me benefits and my savings run out.

Can I embrace fear until homelessness is the vacation? Yes, sdsu, "rinse and repeat" I like that.

San Diego

What comes up for me is transition. No endings, but rather the cosmic cycle alone endures.

I am darn near broke and too sick to work. I have been waiting for my SSDI appeal to be heard at hearing for 13 months. Fear tells me my house will be sold at auction on the steps of the County Courthouse for taxes after the Administrative Law Judge denies me benefits and my savings run out.

Can I embrace fear until homelessness is the vacation? Yes, sdsu, "rinse and repeat" I like that.
Wishing you the best with your appeal. SSDI is a brutal process - they really just want you to give up go away, which becomes quite apparent as you go thru the stages. Sorry you’ve had to fight that battle.

Issie

I am able to get around. I may even get up to Alaska this summer - all it takes is driving...but since resources in this scenario are taken care of and resources (ie money) are what I don't have - if I had them I would go to Europe and visit art museums!

View attachment 430

It's a crying shame I don't live near a good art museum. I can spend all day in them... I wouldn't say I'm good at pacing though (lol)

Oh Cort, I hope you get to. I made that trip with a friend. I went bed bound for awhile afterwards. But, there are so many wonderful art museums and just museums of so many different kinds of interest there. The castles are endless and serve to be museums themselves. Most ceilings are painted with intricate designs, trimmed in gold leaf. We toured Ireland and England. We left London till last and that was a mistake. We were over tired and there is so much to see there. We barely touched the surface of it. It was a wonderful trip. But, it is not set up for handicap or people who have trouble with mobility. The sidewalks are uneven and cobblestone streets. I thought of those people in wheelchairs and the lack of accomodations for those with limitations. I asked someone who lives there how they managed, as they were in a wheelchair. They have to go to places that they know they can get around and use the train at certain stations that accommodate and help them board. So many people walk everywhere. In London we walked and used the over ground and under ground train. We got where we needed and only got lost a few times. We drove in all the other places. A must see is Phatom of the Opera in the Queens Theater. Ohhhhhhh, so amazing!!!!!

But......when you get back to Phoenix. There is one here. One of my friends works at it on occasion. She is really in to art too.

Issie

Lissa

Oh where to start?! First I'd go back to MI to see my family. And spend time at Lake Michigan... Sleeping Bear Dunes area. The UP is mighty fine too!

Next would be old stomping grounds in CO, up in Grand County. Time in the mountains, during the exquisite summers there.

Then returns to UT and NM.... Canyon country. I could spend months there! Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Dinosaur NM. Santa Fe and Taos for the art scene. Abiquiu - O'Keeffe country! A return to Ghost Ranch where my husband proposed to me on hallowed ground. All my favorite places.

Oh and Yosemite.... And Kings Canyon, Joshua Tree, Death Valley..... San Francisco, the Redwoods, Hwy 1.... All things on my bucket list, unfulfilled yet.

Road trip to Alaska... Via Vancouver. Hotels only please--- no can do the camping amongst the bears in grizzly country!!!

And then there is Europe!!! I'm sad to say that I "saved up" for that special trip too long and haven't made it to Europe yet. Oh regrets!!!! That is a must do. And I want to see everything!!!! Florence, Bruges, Lisbon, Normandy, Sweden, England, Germany, Switzerland, Vienna..... The Lipizzans.... Ok I'll stop. The list would be endless!

On to Australia and New Zealand. I made it to Oz for work once but didn't get to have any vacation there, so I've always wanted to go back. Uluru, Perth, Brisbane, a return to Melbourne and Sydney. And definitely New Zealand!!! Big LTR fan.... It looks like an amazing place!! Must see!

Obviously this is all one big hopeful fantasy based on a cure. And winning Publishers Clearinghouse!!! Haaaa!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources