Review Valtrex (valacyclovir)

I have used Valacyclovir off and on for years due to shingles. I used to take it only with the shingles outbreak. I have had a diagnosis of FM since 2006 (no doubt that I've had a lot longer than that).

I tried the usual regimen. Nothing gave any significant relief long term and the side effects were just as bad. Last summer I saw the info about Herpes Zoster virus and since I was already on Valtrex frequently, I spoke with my doctor about and daily long term dose.

I also saw the Vitamin D theory. I also started a Vitamin D3 supplement high dose. Within a week my symptoms were improving.

When I miss a dose of Valacyclovir I had severe pain where my shingles outbreaks occur. After a week off the D3, my FM pain would surface with a vengeance. I have tried several absent mind trials and realized the difference between the two kinds of pain.

I am currently experiencing my first period without symptoms of a flare after years of little or no relief. I'm encouraged by the results.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started with shingles as a child. Only when life got really out of control. As I've gotten older, they have become more frequent. If I catch them early they don't blow up like the TV illustrates. but they do line up on my Siatic nerves.

A few years ago I would have about 6-7 outbreaks a year. Since I would start the Valtrex at the first sign of lesions they would only last a week or two before drying up. Now I know the pain is a forerunner of the lesions.

If I miss the Valtrex for several days the pain starts up but I haven't had any lesions since I started the Daily dose except when my Rx ran out and it took a couple of days for before the Dr. got the refills restarted.

I'm happy too that the Valtrex has so few side effects. The Lyrica side effects are so similar to the FM symptoms, it was hard to tell what was FM and what was side effects.

I also have a hard time with other viruses. I was out of commission most of last winter (2014). I didn't hardly leave my house in March.

This year was hard too. My Grandson would bring home a virus and then I would have it. We were sick off and on from the Middle of December until February. Thankfully, they didn't take me out of commission more that every other week or so.

I've been relatively healthy since the end of February. I still have to pace myself and take the a day off every week. FM isn't my only health challenge but the more I read the current research being done the more I'm convinced the doctors are taking this seriously.

With enough stress and a full schedule of high activity to bear up under the outbreaks often occur. Without the avs it continues to grow along my Siatic nerve. (At least it's covered.) The pain is a deep sharp pain. Hard to concentrate kind of pain that extends the down that nerve.

If I started the avs at the rash outbreak it usually stops growing and starts healing in a few days. Leaves nasty scars (again, it's fortunate for me that it doesn't show). Before I had avs oral meds, I tried all sorts of ointments, steroids, antibacterials, antibiotics, pain ointment and antihistamines. None of them helped much. Pain meds of any kind doesn't help much.

I don't remember trying any Avs creams. If I did, it must not have made any impression on me.
'
Fatigue and pain are big issues. Before the actual diagnosis, I just thought of the fatigue and pain as a result of using my available energy to fighting the shingles and carrying out my daily obligations too.

I'm better at limiting my schedule now but there are times it's not possible.

Who Me?

Some people love Valtrex. I had horrible side effects from it. I wanted
To go on a killing spree

@Deb Peterson @Cort please put paragraphs every few sentences. Many of us here just can't read that much text in one lump. It's easy to go back and edit your previous posts. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dom

Who Me?

There is a shingles without a rash called zoster sine herpete. Symptoms are typical viral symptoms of headaches, general aches and pains as well as lethargy etc etc

What about rash on your head and legs though?

As far as I remember I never had chicken pox but I tested positive for varicella zoster, so I must have been exposed at some point. I hope it doesn't rear it's ugly head.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I have used Valacyclovir off and on for years due to shingles. I used to take it only with the shingles outbreak. I have had a diagnosis of FM since 2006 (no doubt that I've had a lot longer than that).

I tried the usual regimen. Nothing gave any significant relief long term and the side effects were just as bad. Last summer I saw the info about Herpes Zoster virus and since I was already on Valtrex frequently, I spoke with my doctor about and daily long term dose.

I also saw the Vitamin D theory. I also started a Vitamin D3 supplement high dose. Within a week my symptoms were improving.

When I miss a dose of Valacyclovir I had severe pain where my shingles outbreaks occur. After a week off the D3, my FM pain would surface with a vengeance. I have tried several absent mind trials and realized the difference between the two kinds of pain.

I am currently experiencing my first period without symptoms of a flare after years of little or no relief. I'm encouraged by the results.
Fascinating the Vit D helped with the antiviral! It plays a huge role in the immune system - so it makes sense. How high is your dose?

Some people love Valtrex. I had horrible side effects from it. I wanted
To go on a killing spree

@Deb Peterson @Cort please put paragraphs every few sentences. Many of us here just can't read that much text in one lump. It's easy to go back and edit your previous posts. Thanks.

I know everyone is different and Valtrex doesn't work for everyone. Sorry.

I usually do keep my paragraphs simple and will try to keep that in mind.

Interesting, i dont get much pain around the rash. With the shingles on the side The pain may have been coming from the shingles but was hard to tell because of the intense head. I wasnt on avs just prior to that episode but jumped on them quickly when the rash started.

With the shingles on the shins ie both shins i was already on av's, i think this may have lessened the pain but had the general viral symptoms and headaches.

What i found interesting is where the shingles occurred on the side on my head, i have had a brain fog type sensation in that area for 10yrs?? With the shngles on my shins, i get neuropathic type pain down those shins also for over 10 yrs, probably since my cfs started.

From what i have read, there is a sub clinical form of shingles where one doesnt get a rash and now im wondering if this has been me all along but only recently have shingles started to appear for some reason. Every time i stop av's within 2-4 weeks i get viral type symptoms that i use to put down to cmv, now im wondering if it was VZV amd cmv goes along for the ride as my immune system is down from the VZV????

Hard to get titre levels tested here, most viral tests come back positive igm or igg, thats about it. 9 months ago i had vzv tested and it came back saying good immunity, now im wondering if titres or viral levels was high and they mistook it for good immunity, but all along i have had a high viral load to VZV.

Im will be talking a few things over with my dr tomorrow so probably will be cured of cfs, haha :)

We wish it was that easy. :banghead: I had chicken pox when I six or seven now I sixty something. So I've been juggling and balancing my schedule for a long time but they come more often the older I get.

I think the shingles is opportunistic. As we wear down, it just takes advantage of us.

Fascinating the Vit D helped with the antiviral! It plays a huge role in the immune system - so it makes sense. How high is your dose?[/QUOTE

I read about the Vitamin D defiency possibility that Vitamin D may test as close enough to normal and still not be optimal for the individual. That made sense to me so I added it too. My Dr. knows about it so she's aware.

The fact that I've spent many years avoiding being in the sun without sunscreen. I use 12,000 iu to 16,000 iu. I also use the gummies because I have trouble absorbing the capsules or tablets. I know you have to be careful and not get too much but I'm forgetful when I feel good.

Last edited:

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources