Supplement Vertigo relief

Mary Anne

I've been coping with vertigo since the beginning of ME/CFS (15 years ago). I did try a prescription med when I was first hit with vertigo but I felt very wonky and spaced out.

I was having some relief with a Heel Inc. product called Vertigoheel, but the company has recently pulled their products from Canada and US.

I'm now using Hyland's Motion Sickness tablets. They contain two of the ingredients found in Vertigoheel and so far I am having fairly good success with keeping the vertigo in a low state. If I do get a bad attack, these tablets help relieve the swirling, nausea/vomiting and nystagmus quicker than if I take nothing at all.

I hope this might be of help to someone.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I've been coping with vertigo since the beginning of ME/CFS (15 years ago). I did try a prescription med when I was first hit with vertigo but I felt very wonky and spaced out.

I was having some relief with a Heel Inc. product called Vertigoheel, but the company has recently pulled their products from Canada and US.

I'm now using Hyland's Motion Sickness tablets. They contain two of the ingredients found in Vertigoheel and so far I am having fairly good success with keeping the vertigo in a low state. If I do get a bad attack, these tablets help relieve the swirling, nausea/vomiting and nystagmus quicker than if I take nothing at all.

I hope this might be of help to someone.
Thanks Mary Anne I know vertigo is not easy to treat. I believe Laura Hillenbrand found something that helped somewhat - but don't know what it wasy .
Any side effects from the tablets?
Any ideas what is causing this?

Mary Anne

I haven't experienced any side effects from the tablets. I take them when I am feeling the start of a vertigo attack and then throughout the episode.

I also take two tablets before a dental appointment as the noise from the cleaning equipment and drill can set it off.

I've had numerous tests including an mri but so far no answers to what is causing the vertigo.

San Diego

Fortunately, my vertigo is not as constant as it was early in my ME/CFS. I feel your pain, @Mary Anne !

Now, I can usually ward off an impending attack with half a tablet of generic Bonine, an over-the-counter motion sickness med. The active ingredient, meclizine, is the same drug in Antivert (a prescription treatment for vertigo).

You are right, though, it takes practice to find the effective dose that doesn't leave you wonky. Wonky on top of vertigo is no good.

ShyestofFlies

Resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone has found any more treatments or what causes their nystagmus and vertigo? Mine was subtle before and now is quite bad, enough that it is moving to the top of the list rather than the endless symptom pile.

I ordered some generic dramamine and will let you all know how that goes, but that one is the theory that the nystagmous causes motion sickness which is the source of my endless nausea that is not bothered by food typically.

Mary Anne

Sorry to hear you are suffering so badly with vertigo. I truly understand how awful you feel because it has been my main symptom since I first got ill in 2000. Nothing comes close to that out of control feeling with full-blown vertigo and nystagmus, especially when you have no idea how long it will last or when it will end. It's traumatizing.

I have to say that I've been much better with the vertigo for the past 1-1/2 years and the only thing I can attribute this improvement to the Hyland's Motion Sickness tablets that I've been using since 2015. I started taking them on a daily basis after about 6 months of using only when I felt an attack coming on. The daily dose was 3 tablets at 3 doses per day I added extra doses if I was feeling extra spacey.

I noticed that the time between attacks was getting longer and the attacks themselves were less intense. It took probably a month or so to feel this effect but it's been long lasting and I haven't had a serious attack in months. I still get a wobbly feeling at the dentist and often if I'm tired or there is too much light, loud noises, etc. but not an actual full-blown attack. I not going to lie...the pills are expensive and the bottles don't have a large amount but the cost was worth the release from the nightmare of the constant vertigo/nystagmus cycle.

I'm not taking the pills regular now and haven't been for a few months. I do carry them with me, just in case, but so far I've not had to resort to using them. (knock on wood...not that I am superstitious).

I do hope you can find something that will work to help you through this and that you will find some relief perhaps with the dramamine.

ShyestofFlies

Sorry to hear you are suffering so badly with vertigo. I truly understand how awful you feel because it has been my main symptom since I first got ill in 2000. Nothing comes close to that out of control feeling with full-blown vertigo and nystagmus, especially when you have no idea how long it will last or when it will end. It's traumatizing.

I have to say that I've been much better with the vertigo for the past 1-1/2 years and the only thing I can attribute this improvement to the Hyland's Motion Sickness tablets that I've been using since 2015. I started taking them on a daily basis after about 6 months of using only when I felt an attack coming on. The daily dose was 3 tablets at 3 doses per day I added extra doses if I was feeling extra spacey.

I noticed that the time between attacks was getting longer and the attacks themselves were less intense. It took probably a month or so to feel this effect but it's been long lasting and I haven't had a serious attack in months. I still get a wobbly feeling at the dentist and often if I'm tired or there is too much light, loud noises, etc. but not an actual full-blown attack. I not going to lie...the pills are expensive and the bottles don't have a large amount but the cost was worth the release from the nightmare of the constant vertigo/nystagmus cycle.

I'm not taking the pills regular now and haven't been for a few months. I do carry them with me, just in case, but so far I've not had to resort to using them. (knock on wood...not that I am superstitious).

I do hope you can find something that will work to help you through this and that you will find some relief perhaps with the dramamine.
Glad you found something that helped! my nystagmus seems to kick in every time my eyes close. The vertigo is either very mild and constant or only occurs in flares occassionally that make it overpowering. Seems more common when I crash.

Thanks for the recomendation- honestly I appreciate anything that is doable and not very risky even if it costs $$

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources