Why males get MS less often than females

Discussion in 'Other Research' started by Merry, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Merry

Merry Well-Known Member

An article published in Neuroscience News two days ago describes a discovery by scientists at Northwestern University that explains the mechanism that protects male mice from developing the lab mouse version of multiple sclerosis.

I liked this little detail about how a mistake led to progress in this research:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Anomie, Lissa, Abrin and 3 others like this.
  2. Cort

Cort Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising Staff Member

That's a biggie Merry! Thanks for posting. Broderick found testosterone to be protective in ME/CFS as well. Hmm.....

Lissa and Merry like this.
  3. Merida

Merida Well-Known Member

Thanks Merry and Cort. I would like to know how testosterone and other hormones influence spinal fluid production and consequently influence intracranial pressure. We are the only mammals that walk on 2 legs. This presents an evolutionary conundrum for CSF circulation that is not shared with 4 legged creatures.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  4. Cort

I don't know.. Did you see this?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=intracranial+hypertension+fibromyalgia

Lissa, Not dead yet! and Merry like this.
  5. Cort

and this?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29391028

J Transl Med. 2018 Feb 2;16(1):21. doi: 10.1186/s12967-018-1397-7. Improvement of severe myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome symptoms following surgical treatment of cervical spinal stenosis.
    Rowe PC1, Marden CL2, Heinlein S3, Edwards CC 2nd4.

6. Abrin

Abrin Well-Known Member

How interesting!

Now I wonder why any percentage of the male population gets it at all.

Merry, Lissa and Merida like this.
  7. Merida

Merida Well-Known Member

@Cort
    Yeah !! I imagine that the stenosis also interrupts normal CSF flow, and may cause back flow pressures and other pressure related issues ? And to detect this, I understand that MRIs must be done with neck in extension and in flexion ?

I was checked for cervical stenosis - do not have it. But have an abnormally straight neck ( lack of curve) with spinal fluid 'jets' in the neck. Katz and colleagues published research showing most FM people ( 75-80% ?? forget) have abnormally straight neck curves.

Many years ago wonderful neurosurgeons Daniel Heffez and Michael Rosner published and spoke on this issue of CNS structural problems and FM/CFS, but were ostracized by the rheumatologists and psychiatrists, and just about everybody.

Thirteen years ago I gave a great neurosurgeon - an expert in this whole area ( not Heffez, not Rosner) - a book, a masterpiece, of structural and function- Chiropractic : The Anatomy and Physiology of Sacro-Occipital Technique by Jonathan Howatt, DC, DICS. He read it. I asked what he thought - could FM/CFS really be caused by CNS structural issues, and the important interconnections from pelvis to brain as detailed by the sacro-occipital chiropractors? He walked pensively around the room and said, " It will take 20 years." Hmmm.

P.S. The 'straight neck' is related to issues in the sacrum and pelvis.

8. Merry

Merry Well-Known Member

The article had this to say:

Abrin likes this.
  9. Abrin

Abrin Well-Known Member

@Merry - Thanks so much for the explanation! It is truly appreciated.

Merry likes this.