Exercise Resource Center for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Exercise Resource Center for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Resource Type
Blog(s)
Blogs and Articles

The Dangers of Too Much "Exercise" or Activity

Nothing will set someone with chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) back faster than too much "exercise". (Exercise is in quotes because the term hardly applies to light walking or the mild activities that are often enough to send a person with ME/CFS into a relapse or "crash". Two-day exercise studies show that vigorous exercise actually damages an ME/CFS patient's ability to generate energy.

Despite this many doctors and laymen believe that all a person with ME/CFS needs to do is exercise to get better. The below resources may be helpful s

ExerciseTired.jpg
How to Exercise

It is possible for some people with ME/CFS to "exercise" effectively but it requires following an "exercise" program different from anything you’ve ever tried before.

Following a heart-based exercise program can help you avoid "deconditioning" which can cause muscle weakening, structural changes to the nerves and muscles, connective tissue thickening and muscle shortening that affects movement (hence the stretching exercises), reduced blood volume, increased inflammation, bone demineralization, reduced stroke volume (heart), thickened blood, orthostatic intolerance, decreased gut motility, constipation, increased risk of diabetes, cognitive problems, sleep disturbances, irritability and depression (!).
Research
Post-Exertional Malaise

Jennie Spotila’s excellent 2010 series on what PEM is, how it is measured and how its been documented in ME/CFS for the CFIDS Association of America
Patient Reports

Doctor Reports

Video Reports

Author
Cort
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Cort

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!