Align for ME/CFS or Fibromyalgia to Reduce Inflammation?

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Dr. Podell posted an interesting article on Align last year on ProHealth. You can find the whole piece here

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=19738

What was really interesting to me was how much they took....10 billion CFU a day - that's quite a bit!

I was told the best price is at Costco; It would work out to about $7 a day....

http://www.costco.com/align®-Daily-Probiotic-Supplement,-84-Capsules.product.100214695.html

Irish researchers asked whether B infantis 35624 might be able to reduce the blood level of inflammatory mediators among persons whose illness likely has an inflammatory component.

Here’s my take on what we have tentatively learned:

Bifidobacteria infantis 35624 at 10 billion cfu per day taken for 8 weeks tends to reduces three markers of systemic inflammation, CRP, TNF alpha, and IL6. Please note: this conclusion has two parts. One: B. infantis 35624 has anti-inflammatory actions. Two: these anti-inflammatory effects are not limited to the gut—where probiotics live. Rather they affect the body systemically.

Did the patients who were took B infantis 35624 tend to feel better than those on placebo? I emailed the lead author, Dr. Quigley, about this. He confirmed that his group did not collect any data on clinical outcomes. He explained that to do so would have required a considerably more expensive study.

Critical Question Addressed to All Readers: Does anyone know a high executive at Proctor and Gamble—the producer of the Align brand of B infantis 35624? Align has supported several clinical studies. If their product truly helps CFS, psoriasis and or ulcerative colitis that could certainly expand their potential market.

Is anyone likely to fund a repeat of the Irish study to confirm its biochemical results? More important to us—Will anyone fund an extension of this study to include clinical end points? We should be grateful to Dr. Quigley and his team from University College, Cork, Ireland. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could help raise funds to enable Dr. Quigley’s team to do a follow up study?

Open Question: Should clinicians who treat ME/CFS offer patients the option of taking Align or, if available, another brand of B. infantis 35624?

Pro: As interventions go, adding a probiotic is relatively safe. Taking B. infantis 35624 might or might not help; but it’s not likely to cause major harm. If a significant number of people with ME/CFS report that they improve that could create support for a double blind study. For example, if people were to post their experience on ME/CFS chat rooms such as ProHealth.com, Phoenix Rising, or the ME-Global Chronicles e-mail newsletter. (To join contact: karenrssb1@hotmail.com)

Cons: One small double blind study without clinical end points isn’t much to go on. Also, please note that the dose used in this study (10 billion cfu) was ten times higher than the dose in one capsule of Align (one billion CFU). Ten billion cfu is fairly expensive. Currently Target sells forty two one billion cfu capsules of Align for about $37. So a 6 week trial of 10 billion cfu would cost about $370 or about $250 per month. Pricey, but perhaps worth it, if it makes a difference.

If one were to work up to the high dose of 10 billion cfu daily, it should be done in steps to minimize GI side effects. I strongly recommend collaboration with a qualified clinician.

Richard Podell, M.D., MPH
Clinical Professor Dept of Family Medicine
Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
www.Drpodell.org

Remy

Administrator
Dr. Podell posted an interesting article on Align last year on ProHealth. You can find the whole piece here

What was really interesting to me was how much they took....10 billion CFU a day - that's quite a bit!

http://www.costco.com/align®-Daily-Probiotic-Supplement,-84-Capsules.product.100214695.html
I did it for about 3 months at the whole 10 billion a day dose. It was expensive and did not cure me unfortunately.

It is still a reasonable thing to try though if you can afford it because the risk of harm is very small.

I wish they would make things in the doses tested. It's so irritating to find out that you need to take out a bank loan to take probiotics. Niagen, I'm also looking at you.

Last edited:

Remy

Administrator
The best price by far is at Amazon on their subscribe and save. You can get down to $0.52/ea which puts a month's worth at about $156.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Nice..that's a big drop
The best price by far is at Amazon on their subscribe and save. You can get down to $0.52/ea which puts a month's worth at about $156.

ShyestofFlies

I've heard probiotics aren't as useful without pre-biotics. Unfortunately many people when first uncovering them (jerusalem artichokes) tend to "overdose" and end up with bad stomach problems. Might be worth looking into if you're going that route, what is safest, etc

ankaa

I did it for about 3 months at the whole 10 billion a day dose. It was expensive and did not cure me unfortunately.

It is still a reasonable thing to try though if you can afford it because the risk of harm is very small.

I wish they would make things in the doses tested. It's so irritating to find out that you need to take out a bank loan to take probiotics. Niagen, I'm also looking at you.

did you get any benefits at all?

I feel better on align, but I've never taken nearly that many a day.. when i can afford it, it's worth a try

ankaa

I wonder how long the benefits of this study lasted.... I don't doubt that being able to lower CRP would help me feel better, but if the effects are only a few days or weeks, then it's not worth it..

Have you seen any studies on Culturelle / L Rhamnosus? I know L Rhamnosus has strong immune effects, anti-inflammatory effects, plus it's made by a company w resources to fund studies..

ankaa

Is Align a d-lactate free probiotic?

also, is any "lactobaccillus" probiotic a d-lactate producing probiotic?

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources