Ampligen

Ladyliegh

I was looking at Ampligen, since it may be available soon. The numbers seem different as to the effectiveness. Also it has been administered with an IV, twice a week for 12-18 months... That doesn't seem realistic, also earlier numbers put the success at 30%.
So what are the thoughts here on the forum?

Lissa

I was looking at Ampligen, since it may be available soon. The numbers seem different as to the effectiveness. Also it has been administered with an IV, twice a week for 12-18 months... That doesn't seem realistic, also earlier numbers put the success at 30%.

Good question! I'm curious too. I don't know much about it other than it works for some and not others.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Ampligen has been very effective for some, and for others it's not. A recent analysis indicated it was more effective in those who have been ill for less that six or something like that years. (I'll blog on that in the Treatment section of the IACFS/ME conference).

That said, I know people who are way past that date who have benefited greatly from it.

Ladyliegh

Don't get me wrong, I am eager to find a treatment or cure. But.. an IV twice a week for a year is impossible for maybe half of us. I can't say I would try it, without more research, since I have had ME/CFS for 30 years. Most of the research is focusing on those who have had it less than 10 years, which leaves me out & feeling frustrated. There are so many who have tried to take advantage, because we are so sick & willing to try almost anything, they line their pockets with our 'blood money'. After the PACE trials, I am not sure who I believe. Along with the story about how this drug will be released is the added benifit that the price will double. More good news for the pharmaceutical companies & outrageous costs for us.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Don't get me wrong, I am eager to find a treatment or cure. But.. an IV twice a week for a year is impossible for maybe half of us. I can't say I would try it, without more research, since I have had ME/CFS for 30 years. Most of the research is focusing on those who have had it less than 10 years, which leaves me out & feeling frustrated. There are so many who have tried to take advantage, because we are so sick & willing to try almost anything, they line their pockets with our 'blood money'. After the PACE trials, I am not sure who I believe. Along with the story about how this drug will be released is the added benifit that the price will double. More good news for the pharmaceutical companies & outrageous costs for us.
We'll just have to see how it turns out. Hemispherx still needs to get on large drug trial funded and successfully run to get it FDA approved. If it does get FDA approved hopefully the price wont be too egregious or will be covered by insurance.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources