B6 why it's important

Who Me?

Why B6 is important

The dosages recommended are way lower than what you can find which means lots of splitting. I have 50 mgs P-5-P tablets

Alison Vickery

March 24, 2015 • 20 comments
Why Your Vitamin B6 Level Is Important
byron-bay-5-A-525x329.jpg

"Vitamin B6 is a cluster of compounds (not just one) that is a co-factor in over 100 biochemical reactions in the body which is why your Vitamin B6 level is important.

Here are just a few of the things that studies show that it does for you:

• Increases diamine oxidase plasma levels.
  • Degrading glutamates and MSG.
  • Metabolises proteins.
  • Reduces oxalate levels
  • Inhibits the degranulation of mast-cells.
  • Moderates cortisol levels.
  • Regulates blood sugar levels and glucose tolerance.
  • Converts ALA to DHA.
  • Acts as a potent anti-oxidant.
  • Synthesises neurotransmitters; serotonin, dopamine, and GABA, and norepinephrine.
  • Relieves PMS, dermatitis, mosquito bites, irritability, depression, and short-term memory issues."
First and foremost, if a vitamin B6 deficiency, is being driven by a viral of fungal infection, including candida which completes with the Vitamin B 6, then that should be treated. That alone is typically enough to explain the deficiency.

If the Vitamin B6 deficiency, is not being driven by a viral or fungal infection, then supplementation is important.

Whilst I am all for getting our nutritional needs through diet, it is very hard to address Vitamin B6 issues, through a balanced diet. This is because eating foods rich in vitamin B6 does not necessarily increase vitamin B6 levels.

Vitamin B6 is needed to degrade the protein in the food we eat. For example, there is not enough Vitamin B6 in a wide variety of foods, to degrade the protein in that food itself, let alone raise overall Vitamin B6 levels.

Therefore it is the protein to Vitamin B6 level which is important. It is just too difficult to eat a balanced diet (with all the nutrients, not just one) so supplementation in this case, is the most practical solution.

Vitamin B6 is also not stored in the body. That means you need a continuous daily supply in your diet. It is also heat sensitive such that cooking food destroys much of it.

Dosage:

• A blood test for plasma Pyridoxal phosphate (PLP) is considered the single best indicator of Vitamin B6 status.
  • Levels of 20nmol/L are generally considered adequate.
  • Zinc levels should also be checked (along with viral or fungal infections).
  • Blood tests can be difficult to interpret, as they can be affected by a range of factors, and should be done by a qualified practitioner.
  • The combination of Vitamin B6 and its bio-available form PLP appear to be the most effective.
  • Dosage is usually 0.25mg – 0.5mg Vitamin B6, and 0.25mg – 0.5mg P5p.
  • Too high levels result in neuropathy and intense or vivid dreams. This is resolved by dropping back the dosage.
Supplementation should only be implemented under the supervision of a qualified practitioner but is often an important part of any treatment for histamine intolerance.

Additional Reading:

Martner-Hewes, P. M., Hunt, I. F., Murphy, N. J., Swendseid, M. E., & Settlage, R. H. (1986). Vitamin B-6 nutriture and plasma diamine oxidase activity in pregnant Hispanic teenagers. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 44(6), 907-913.

Jarisch, R, Editor (2015). Histamine Intolerance: Histamine and Seasickness.

Ricardo Gonzalez Alvarez, Milagros Garcia Mesa, Ascorbic acid and pyridoxine in experimental anaphylaxis, Agents and Actions, April 1981, Volume 11, Issue 1-2, pp 89-93.

William J Walsh, PhD, (2012) Nutrient Power “Heal Your Biochemistry and Heal Your Brain

http://alisonvickery.com.au/why-your-vitamin-b6-level-is-important/

Yavapai

Pyridoxine metabolism is highly dependent on several other vitamin cofactors. You might not be deficient in B6, but could be deficient in B2, Zinc, Molybdenum, or Magnesium.

I have seen no evidence that fungal infections cause B6 deficiency.

Here is the B6 metabolism pathway:
http://smpdb.ca/view/SMP00017

Remy

Administrator
I have seen no evidence that fungal infections cause B6 deficiency.
According to Dr William Shaw, candida produces arabinose as a byproduct which competes for the same enzyme sites as B6 which then creates a functional deficiency.

Yavapai

According to Dr William Shaw, candida produces arabinose as a byproduct which competes for the same enzyme sites as B6 which then creates a functional deficiency.

I do not know DR Shaw. But I saw no research that shows arabinose competes for B6 in enzymatic reactions. I do not know how that would even happen chemically since one is a sugar and the other is not. But I can see how they might think it would happen.

But all I can find is that candida does not produce arabinose, it seems to use arabinose rather than make it.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0167483896000775

Last edited:

Who Me?

DIRECTORS

LABORATORY DIRECTOR | WILLIAM SHAW, PHD

William Shaw, PhD, is board certified in the fields of clinical chemistry and toxicology by the American Board of Clinical Chemistry. Before he founded The Great Plains Laboratory, Inc., Dr. Shaw worked for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Children's Mercy Hospital, University of Missouri at Kansas City School of Medicine, and Smith Kline Laboratories. He is the author of Biological Treatments for Autism and PDD, originally published in 1998 and Autism: Beyond the Basics, published in 2009. He is also a frequent speaker at conferences worldwide.

Dr. Shaw is the stepfather of a child with autism and has helped thousands of patients and medical practitioners to successfully improve the lives of people with autism, AD(H)D, Alzheimer's disease, arthritis, bipolar disorder, chronic fatigue, depression, fibromyalgia, immune deficiencies, multiple sclerosis, OCD, Parkinson's disease, seizure disorders, tic disorders, Tourette syndrome, and other serious conditions.

http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/our-team/

Yavapai

Ok, that was just an appeal to authority. But not a good authority. Great Plains Laboratory? Really?

If you can point me to some literature on how arabinose blocks the action of P5P in the body, and how candida produces arabinose, I will take it into account.

Sorry, but there are a lot of people just saying things these days!

Remy

Administrator
I do not know DR Shaw. But I saw no research that shows arabinose competes for B6 in enzymatic reactions. I do not know how that would even happen chemically since one is a sugar and the other is not. But I can see how they might think it would happen.

But all I can find is that candida does not produce arabinose, it seems to use arabinose rather than make it.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0167483896000775

Dr Shaw's explanation:

This adduct of arabinose, lysine, and arginine is called a pentosidine (Figure 5). The tissue concentration of this adduct is almost linearly related to age (Figure 6). The epsilon amino group of lysine is a critical functional group of many enzymes to which pyridoxal (vitamin B-6), biotin, and lipoic acid are covalently bonded during coenzymatic reactions; the blockage of these active lysine sites by pentosidine formation may cause functional vitamin deficiencies even when nutritional intake is adequate. In addition, this epsilon amino group of lysine may also be important in the active catalytic site of many enzymes.

Remy

Administrator
Ok, that was just an appeal to authority. But not a good authority. Great Plains Laboratory? Really?

If you can point me to some literature on how arabinose blocks the action of P5P in the body, and how candida produces arabinose, I will take it into account.

Who are you to judge who is a good authority or not? There's nothing wrong with Great Plains laboratory. It's CLIA certified.

You may dismiss Dr Shaw, fine. But I'm sick to death of people being authoritarian in the name of some sort of fairy tale of "evidence based medicine".

Who Me?

I love it when newbies show up, act like authorities and Insult everyone in the process. Great first impression.

Remy

Administrator
Obfuscation to say the least.
Sounds a lot like people who are overly dependent on the scientific literature and then use the term "quackery" to describe anything not found in it.

But here's a few more cites...

Shaw, Kassen & Chaves (1995), also identified high levels of arabinose in the urine of the autistic children. The exact biochemical role of arabinose is unknown, but a closely related yeast alcohol, arabitol has been used as a biochemical indicator of invasive candidiasis (Kiehn et al, 1979; Wong et al, 1990, Roboz & Katz, 1992). It is thought that arabitol produced by the yeast in the gut is absorbed into the portal circulation and then converted to arabinose by the liver. Elevated protein-bound arabinose has been found in the serum glycoproteins of schizophrenics (Varma & Hoshino, 1980) and in children with conduct disorders (Varma et al, 1983).

Arabinose reacts with the epsilon amino group of lysine in a wide variety of proteins and may then form cross-links with arginine residues in an adjoining protein (Sell & Monnier, 1989). Arabinose has therefore been implicated in protein modification via cross-linking the proteins and altering both biological structures and functions of a wide variety of proteins. Shaw et al (1999) has proposed that this may include proteins involved in the interconnection of neurons. Decreased clinical symptoms of autism after antifungal treatment might be due to decreased arabinose and pentosidine formation (cross-linked proteins described above). This would result in fewer random neural connections and increased numbers of neural connections that are oriented to the child’s environment. The influence of a number of vitamins on candida activity and the operation of many metabolites of candida has been discussed (Mahler & Cordes, 1966).

Yavapai

Who are you to judge who is a good authority or not? There's nothing wrong with Great Plains laboratory. It's CLIA certified.

You may dismiss Dr Shaw, fine. But I'm sick to death of people being authoritarian in the name of some sort of fairy tale of "evidence based medicine".

Do you even know what CLIA certified means? It does not mean the tests they sell mean anything relevant to health at all. That is what they peddle, selling tests to people who are suffering. Sad really.

I am fine with you believing things based on no evidence, but that is not my way.

Yavapai

Sounds a lot like people who are overly dependent on the scientific literature and then use the term "quackery" to describe anything not found in it.

But here's a few more cites...

That is not a cite. That is from the same webpage that I read already.
http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/candida-and-yeast-overgrowth/
And all those studies are like from pre 1900!

Don't you see it as a problem that in that same absent of footnoted page they also have links to the tests you can buy from them? Can't you see it is all marketing?

Are you guys shills for Big Testing?

You are making a lot of assumptions about me with no evidence. I am beginning to see a pattern.

Who Me?

You're a newbie here. Just signed up today.

And if you bothered to read more of what is going on here you'd see most long timers do reference what they say. @Remy in particular

It's a turn of to come in guns blazing insulting everyone left and right. I don't understand why the big chip.

It's not a contest to see who is smarter than everyone else

Yavapai

You're a newbie here. Just signed up today.

And if you bothered to read more of what is going on here you'd see most long timers do reference what they say. @Remy in particular

It's a turn of to come in guns blazing insulting everyone left and right. I don't understand why the big chip.

It's not a contest to see who is smarter than everyone else

I have been here in the past so my nick is only new.

I am not insulting, I am just pointing out factual inaccuracies.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Boy did this thread go south:

Some suggestions

Instead of saying that was JUST an appeal to authority (nothing the matter with appealing to authority) and slamming the authority (what is the matter with GPL anyway?)....it would have worked better to say "I don't really trust GPL...)

The number one guideline or rule for the Forums is that we must find a way to get along with each other...We have to be a community that works - that settles its issues as peaceably as possible...That includes respecting each other and setting as safe a space as possible for people to explore ME/CFS/FM issues.

We have people with all sorts of levels of understanding. Allowing people to post something that is absolutely wrong without them getting beat up is essential. We have to have room for people to post nonsense, really. What we don't have any room for are people insulting people for their perceived shortcomings.

We'll end up having a Forum of one if that happens...

Oh please! Do you even understand that!? Quackery hidden by jaw flappers!

Questioning whether someone understands something is pretty insulting.

Posting something so Forum members can chew over it and bring new understanding to it is a big part of the Forum... but people have to feel safe enough to post something that they know is going to be dealt with in a respectful manner.

Do you even know what CLIA certified means? It does not mean the tests they sell mean anything relevant to health at all. That is what they peddle, selling tests to people who are suffering. Sad really.

I am fine with you believing things based on no evidence, but that is not my way.

You can pretty much guarantee that any sentence that starts out "Do you even know....." is not going work. If somebody is worried they're going to be insulted when they post something they're not going to post and people are going to leave and the Forums are going to dry up......

I am fine with you believing things based on no evidence ....no evidence - that's very insulting...+

Then asking people if they are shills for anything ....not going to work on these Forums...

Don't you see it as a problem that in that same absent of footnoted page they also have links to the tests you can buy from them? Can't you see it is all marketing?

Are you guys shills for Big Testing?

Last edited:

Yavapai

Boy did this thread go south:

Some suggestions

Instead of saying that was JUST an appeal to authority (nothing the matter with appealing to authority) and slamming the authority (what is the matter with GPL anyway?)....it would have worked better to say "I don't really trust GPL...)

The number one guideline or rule for the Forums is that we must be able to get along with each other...We have to find a way to do that or we can't be in the Forum - we have to be a community that works - that settles its issues as peaceably as possible...That includes respecting each other and no insults...

Questioning whether someone understands something is insulting and besides it's not at all necessary to understand what we post (thank god for that....Posting something so Forum members can chew over it and bring new understanding to it is a big part of the Forum...

A post like this has no place in a Forums which relies on people getting along with each other.

This post "Do you even know....." is insulting as well. You can pretty much guarantee that any sentence that starts out "Do you even know....." is not going on the Forums...(lol)

Then asking people if they are shills for anything ....not going to work on these Forums...

This kind of I'm right / you're wrong and you're an idiot because you don't believe what I believe is not going to fly Yavapai...

Yeah, sorry. As I said before, my aspergers makes this form of communication difficult. I am not being insulting to Remy and Who Me is all I can say. I do not think they are thinking clearly is all. Can I say that?

I never called anyone an idiot. My point in asking if they even understood what Dr. Shaw wrote was that even I did not understand it.

And thinking that you are smart all the time is just as insulting as thinking everyone else is stupid.

I hope they can get along with me. I hope they can change their behavior as well.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources