Calming the Amygdala with sound -- BAUD device

Forebearance

I heard Dr. Frank Lawlis say something on the Dr. Phil show that intrigued me.
Dr. Lawlis said that at his clinic in Texas he has "sound therapy" that can treat people with PTSD by healing the amygdala.

So I did some looking around online and found it is apparently called a BAUD device. Here is an article written about it: http://www.pnpcenter.com/images/Veterans_PTSD_BAUD.pdf

So has anyone with ME/CFS tried this kind of therapy? It sounds like it would do something similar to the amygdala calming programs that we have all heard of. I guess I would rather do some sound therapy than to meditate and chant affirmations for hours every day.

Also, I have heard of a new therapy called NeuroStar that is supposed to heal the brains of people with depression and anxiety. It runs some magnetic pulses through the brain. I know most of us don't have major depression, but any time a therapy is mentioned that heals the brain, it piques my interest. It seems to be non-intrusive and non-drug. I wonder if it would do anything for us.
Here's the website: httto://www.neurostar.com

Forebearance

Another thing I ran across, which may be a bit more new-agey and fringe-y is some music that is supposed to promote healing, called Wholetones. It is described at this website: http://www.wholetones.com
I suppose I will try it as soon as I have some extra spending money.

rebar

Interesting, although I looked and didn't see enough supporting information. It runs $500.00. It is supposedly doing something I've been working on for 6 months or so, limiting as much negative mental stimulation as possible. Music, prayer-meditation, avoidance of the news and Facebook.
The music has to be calming and enhance meditation. I keep it running for several hours and most of the evening.
I have, by my choices, moved myself to a more peaceful place and am having better days.
I now define this as my job, to bring as much peace into my heart as possible.
Green red productions has some Great calming music. I tried to add a link but wasn't able to, google it.

Best of luck, I think its worth a try.

Remy

Administrator
Another thing I ran across, which may be a bit more new-agey and fringe-y is some music that is supposed to promote healing, called Wholetones. It is described at this website: http://www.wholetones.com
I suppose I will try it as soon as I have some extra spending money.
I tried Wholetones. It didn't do anything much for me, and was not exactly my cup of tea musically. But I think they have a money back guarantee, so worth a try!

rebar

WOW, thanks Hip. It does something, I came away calmer after using it for 5 min. I now need to read more and find out if there is a down side.

Hip

I came away calmer after using it for 5 min. I now need to read more and find out if there is a down side.

Binaural beats have been around for decades, I've never come across any adverse effects from them. I used to experiment with binaural beats decades ago, when I was healthy, as an aid or alternative to mindfulness meditation.

If you use the alpha wave or theta wave setting on the binaural beat generator, those are the brain waves that appear during meditation, and so you are encouraging your brain to get into a relaxed, meditative, more self aware state with the alpha and theta wave binaural beats.

You have to wear headphones / earphones for binaural beats to work; they will not work through loudspeakers.

Last edited:

Forebearance

Thanks, Hip. Now I'm wondering, if binaural beats have been around for decades, and are available for free online, then how did Dr. Lawlis get a patent on his device?

Hip

Thanks, Hip. Now I'm wondering, if binaural beats have been around for decades, and are available for free online, then how did Dr. Lawlis get a patent on his device?

That you would only know by tracking down the patent and seeing what particular features on the device were patented.

Forebearance

There is also BrainSync, a company that makes CDs and MP3s. http://www.brainsync.com/
They claim that their products optimize mental performance. Their healing CDs are supposed to "Revitalize your body, mind and spirit, and develop your innate healing powers."
Has anybody tried one of them?

pbyr

I have been using binaural beats for a long time, works very well. You have to find the ones that work well. Best if using headphones.

There are plenty on YouTube here is a Delta

Abrin

When it comes to binaural beats generators I vote for Gnaural. It is open-source and has been around forever. You can even get it for android phones.

Now for the bad news, there really hadn't been a lot of scientific study when it comes to binaural beats so there is no real scientific proof that it works.

Abrin

Since binaural beats are produced by electrical means it would be pretty easy to tweak a machine in a way in order to be able to patent it.

Cellphones pre-existed before Apple released the iPhone but yet Apple and Samsung are still tied up in a huge court battle over 'design'.

pbyr

@pbyr , what do your binaural beats and Solfeggio frequencies do for you?

It depends on the frequency and my needs. For instance some will reduce anxiety , there is a study one that I use when I need to learn new information, works wonders.

It is important to find the ones that work for you, so you may have to cycle through a number of them.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources