Calming the Amygdala with sound -- BAUD device

TJ_Fitz

I decided to take a break from BAUD therapy for a while, because I need to be well enough to travel over the Christmas holidays. It has also been an opportunity to see if I feel any improvements once the symptoms of detoxing have had a chance to fade. Hopefully I'll be able to tell if it has been worth it to go through all this.

I did 12 BAUD therapy sessions over a time of 4 months.
It's now been 4 weeks since I last did a session. Here are two things I notice:

There has been no backsliding. The fat that melted off has stayed off. In fact, it seems to still be gradually melting off. My handwriting is still good.

I think I am stronger. I have been able to use my Simply Fit board longer than ever before, and I am less tired and sore afterwards than in the past.

So hmmm, maybe it has done something for me. I will see how the next few weeks go while I travel and celebrate the holidays and stuff, and then I will re-assess.
Awesome, so glad it's helping you! Too bad there isn't an effective, one-size-fits-all therapy for us.

Forebearance

Yeah, too bad one therapy doesn't just fix all of us!

I met a woman who is recovering from a traumatic brain injury. We started comparing treatments we do. I told her about the BAUD therapy I've been doing. She told me she uses something called a Mind Alive device. She showed it to me and it looks sort of like a BAUD, but it comes with colored glasses.

So I checked out the website: http://mindalive.com/
They seem to make several different devices. Some of them even have electrodes that zap your scalp!

I'm thinking I will go see the neurotherapist who prescribed this device to the woman I talked to, just to check it out. For one thing, I don't know which device would be right for me. I could make an appointment for some time in January.

For research purposes, it would be good to look into this option. But it makes me nervous. What if it would work better on me than the BAUD? That would mean I wasted $500. Gulp.

TJ_Fitz

I just returned the device today. Dr. Lawlis was understanding, and has agreed to give me a full refund.

I don't think I'm ready to try any other devices just yet. It's too expensive!

Remy

Administrator
Yeah, too bad one therapy doesn't just fix all of us!

I met a woman who is recovering from a traumatic brain injury. We started comparing treatments we do. I told her about the BAUD therapy I've been doing. She told me she uses something called a Mind Alive device. She showed it to me and it looks sort of like a BAUD, but it comes with colored glasses.

So I checked out the website: http://mindalive.com/
They seem to make several different devices. Some of them even have electrodes that zap your scalp!

I'm thinking I will go see the neurotherapist who prescribed this device to the woman I talked to, just to check it out. For one thing, I don't know which device would be right for me. I could make an appointment for some time in January.

For research purposes, it would be good to look into this option. But it makes me nervous. What if it would work better on me than the BAUD? That would mean I wasted $500. Gulp.
Ben Greenfield was promoting this one the other day .Hmmmm.

Remy

Administrator
Who is Ben Greenfield?
Oh, okay, I looked him up. So he's a famous personal trainer. Interesting.
I call him the used car salesman of the fitness world, somewhat affectionately. He is always going on about some new thing, some work out better than others. He is always up for trying new things though so that is fun. I just don't have the budget to keep up!

Forebearance

I am recovering both financially and physically from the holiday season, so it is taking me longer than expected to be ready to try new things. Whew. On top of that, I am having to re-balance my iodine and thyroid hormone intake. That is taking a while to figure out.

So basically I'm trying to get to a stable place health-wise and a financial place where I have some extra money to spend on trying new things. I'll let you guys know when I do!

Forebearance

I discovered something by accident that has a similar effect to what the BAUD device was supposed to do. I'm not sure if it would work for anyone else, but I will post it here.

Something sad happened. I was feeling overwhelmed, so I decided to meditate. While meditating, I brought up my feelings of grief and found that grieving while meditating helped the feelings diminish. The first time I tried it, I even had a physical response in the form of feeling more relaxed and sleeping more soundly.

So I'm guessing there is something about neuroplasticity going on here. Has anyone else ever tried processing feelings while meditating?

Not dead yet!

I discovered something by accident that has a similar effect to what the BAUD device was supposed to do. I'm not sure if it would work for anyone else, but I will post it here.

Something sad happened. I was feeling overwhelmed, so I decided to meditate. While meditating, I brought up my feelings of grief and found that grieving while meditating helped the feelings diminish. The first time I tried it, I even had a physical response in the form of feeling more relaxed and sleeping more soundly.

So I'm guessing there is something about neuroplasticity going on here. Has anyone else ever tried processing feelings while meditating?

Yeah, the Loving Kindness meditation is very emotional. It's designed to increase compassion, including compassion for one's self. :)

TJ_Fitz

YES! This is emotional integration. I've been doing it for a few years, and it's amazing! But I usually do my meditating in the form of expressive writing.

Forebearance

Thanks to watching TV late at night, I saw an ad for a device called the "Ebb".
It says it cools the brain so the wearer can fall asleep more easily.
I wonder if this would do anything for a brain that is inflamed, as ours are supposed to be.
https://www.ebbsleep.com/
Does anyone want to try it and report back to us?

Not dead yet!

Thanks to watching TV late at night, I saw an ad for a device called the "Ebb".
It says it cools the brain so the wearer can fall asleep more easily.
I wonder if this would do anything for a brain that is inflamed, as ours are supposed to be.
https://www.ebbsleep.com/
Does anyone want to try it and report back to us?

Looking at the website, uh, $700? for a clock and an electric cooling device? Seems a bit steep. Under "science" I only see one before/after picture and nothing about how this is different from an icepack, which would be a natural question arising in the mind of anyone considering it. I wasn't able to find the independent studies mentioned: https://www.ebbsleep.com/clinical-studies/ They may have taken place, but for some reason they're not giving references we can follow.

I think the price should be around the same as an electric heating pad. Since it's an electric cooling pad. So around $50.

TJ_Fitz

Totally different topic here, but I'll bring it back around. I recently did genetic testing for CIRS, and discovered that am genetically susceptible to mold toxins...and currently live in a downstairs apartment that was flooded during the stay of the previous occupants. I've moved to a different bedroom that wasn't flooded, and I can now smell the mold in the other bedroom.

The point being this: I'm done with electronic biofeedback-type devices for now, because mold toxins are the problem for me. Until I get out of moldy environments and get the mold toxins out of my body, nothing is going to get me well. If I get clear of toxins and toxic environments, maybe it will be worth investigating again.

Forebearance

Dear TJ_in_UT,

Get out!!!! (ha ha) I've been in your situation. I agree that nothing is going to help until you get clear of the mold toxins. When you get clear, everything will work better. Good luck. I know how difficult it is.

Forebearance

I'm still thinking about the possibility of healing with sound in some kind of way. I came across a guy named Jim Donovan who has a program that uses humming to heal the body & mind.

It is less expensive than a BAUD device. But then, humming is free! So I think I will try some humming myself to see if it feels like anything.

Abrin

I'm still thinking about the possibility of healing with sound in some kind of way. I came across a guy named Jim Donovan who has a program that uses humming to heal the body & mind.

It is less expensive than a BAUD device. But then, humming is free! So I think I will try some humming myself to see if it feels like anything.

I think I remember reading something, somewhere that chanting 'OM' causes a specific type of humming that is supposed to be helpful.

I wish I remembered more about it but you know what brain fog is like. Sighs.

Forebearance

I think I remember reading something, somewhere that chanting 'OM' causes a specific type of humming that is supposed to be helpful.

I wish I remembered more about it but you know what brain fog is like. Sighs.
Yes! This guy is using the "Om" sound in his program, as well as "Aim" and "Um" and more. I didn't realize that the emphasis was supposed to be on the M, as in humming!

Check out this handout of simple exercises that seems to be written by him:

Last edited:

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources