Extreme Weather Sensitivity

Eset Isadore

Rain and snow tend to be leveling for me. Profoundly leveling - above and beyond the already intense fatigue I manage. And I really do mean profound, and leveling.

This has been true for decades - well before my ME became severe enough to be bedbound. Even when my ME was mild and moderate - when I could often function well enough that the outside world had no idea of the suffering behind the scenes - I could be laid flat by weather shifts. Precipitation causes the most exaggerated response; it will be always worth if wind and a temperature descent accompany it.

Does anyone else experience this overpowering reaction to weather changes?

Curly

Changes in temperature affect my symptoms. When the weather is warm I overheat very quickly so tend to stay in when it's humid. When it's cold I struggle to keep warm. Any sudden changes in weather also seem to affect me. If there's a storm, heavy rain, heat wave, anything like that, I feel dreadful. Symptoms are exaggerated and I generally have to lie still until it passes

TJ_Fitz

I've noticed this myself. I feel better on warm, sunny, clear days, and worse when it's stormy and cold.

I think barometric pressure is a part of it, but I've also noticed that I seem to have chronically low body temperatures.

Auntie Mary

I've noticed this myself. I feel better on warm, sunny, clear days, and worse when it's stormy and cold.

I think barometric pressure is a part of it, but I've also noticed that I seem to have chronically low body temperatures.
When the barometer is rising I am flying, when the barometer is falling I am more tired and the barometer in my area falls every afternoon which may have something to do with why I end up reading/napping, etc.

JohanW

What is the best type of house for weather sensitive autists?

Because I’m autistic I spend much time at home. In certain weather conditions I suffer from Brain Fog, Fatigue, Irritability and Insomnia. This occurs when there is a sudden change in the weather, pressure drop, storm, warm and moist sea winds. Apparently thunderstorms release positive ions that cause adrenaline production in the human body which in turn causes a stress reaction.

Are there people who are similarly sensitive to the same weather conditions who have noticed that in certain houses they are less susceptible and can advise me? Do you feel better in a well-insulated house with climate control?

Remy

Administrator
What is the best type of house for weather sensitive autists?

Because I’m autistic I spend much time at home. In certain weather conditions I suffer from Brain Fog, Fatigue, Irritability and Insomnia. This occurs when there is a sudden change in the weather, pressure drop, storm, warm and moist sea winds. Apparently thunderstorms release positive ions that cause adrenaline production in the human body which in turn causes a stress reaction.

Are there people who are similarly sensitive to the same weather conditions who have noticed that in certain houses they are less susceptible and can advise me? Do you feel better in a well-insulated house with climate control?
It's well known that those with migraines and those susceptible to migraines (POTS, EDS, MCAS etc) all have trouble with barometric pressure changes. It may also have to do with increased intracranial pressure and sometimes pressure lowering medications like Diamox may provide some relief.

Ughhh

Weather changes are my only and worst trigger for symptoms. This started when I lived at high altitude and got worse over time, they thought it was atypical headache and face pain. Finally I moved back to sea level and I am just as reactive to the weather changes. I have no idea what is going on or how to stop it. Rain, snow, fog, sun, lightening, wind, dry weather, humid weather, temperature changes, all set off my symptoms. I feel much worse when it's warm like I am sick all the time. At least when it's cold I don't feel sick, but I still have other symptoms triggered by the snow, dryness and if temps drop. I have tried googling this a million different ways and there are no answers so apparently no one knows anything about this phenomenon.

TJ_Fitz

Weather changes are my only and worst trigger for symptoms. This started when I lived at high altitude and got worse over time, they thought it was atypical headache and face pain. Finally I moved back to sea level and I am just as reactive to the weather changes. I have no idea what is going on or how to stop it. Rain, snow, fog, sun, lightening, wind, dry weather, humid weather, temperature changes, all set off my symptoms. I feel much worse when it's warm like I am sick all the time. At least when it's cold I don't feel sick, but I still have other symptoms triggered by the snow, dryness and if temps drop. I have tried googling this a million different ways and there are no answers so apparently no one knows anything about this phenomenon.
Strange, I do best in warm, sunny weather.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources