Feel Like Run Over By Mack Truck

jaminhealth

I was given the FM dx in 1999 but never have totally believed it. I got my thyroid supported and have been taking nutritional supplements for years...worked for adrenal supports but not now.

When I was told I had FM I was 61 give or take. Finally got thyroid supported when I was 63 after 10 long struggling years of hearing "you are fine"....it was a sluggish thyroid for 10 long hard years.

I felt like I was run over by a Mack back then when I wake up after a night's sleep and here I am at 81 soon and for sure the Mack feeling is with me. I sleep good, worked up a sleep combo that works and I also deal with osteoarthritis.

Wonder if I really have this FM "stuff".. is it real? Wonder if I need to work with adrenals now again.

Anyone relate to this "run over by a Mack".....j

Not dead yet!

I was given the FM dx in 1999 but never have totally believed it. I got my thyroid supported and have been taking nutritional supplements for years...worked for adrenal supports but not now.

When I was told I had FM I was 61 give or take. Finally got thyroid supported when I was 63 after 10 long struggling years of hearing "you are fine"....it was a sluggish thyroid for 10 long hard years.

I felt like I was run over by a Mack back then when I wake up after a night's sleep and here I am at 81 soon and for sure the Mack feeling is with me. I sleep good, worked up a sleep combo that works and I also deal with osteoarthritis.

Wonder if I really have this FM "stuff".. is it real? Wonder if I need to work with adrenals now again.

Yeah this is a good description. I also am still skeptical and can't fully embrace the FM label. I actually warmed up to it when I saw here on this forum that people saw a similarity between FM and ME/CFS. Until then, I was like, nah, can't be true.

I still think I'm missing a lot of the pieces. And that modern medicine isn't bothering to look for them. I agree with Cort that we need more dedicated supporters who are famous enough to be heard. I had high hopes for the Unrest movie, but it seems to have not had a large enough effect. At least, i still have to explain it to everyone.

For me, antihistamines will give me this hangover/run-over-by-truck effect. Antihistamines are very contraindicated for the elderly because they oppose the formation of acetylcholine and can literally put an elderly person in a temporary dementia status if they are sensitive to them.

I find them useful for stopping a migraine, but if I have a migraine, then the hangover effect is going to be the least of my worries. And when I say hangover, I mean, feeling like I slammed 12 drinks, and woke up the next day without drinking any water. Ouch.

Interestingly, low dose seroquel is effective for sleep because it acts as an antihistamine, not an antipsychotic. So people think they're having one effect, and they're getting another. It's often given if normal sleep drugs don't work. So if the desired end result is sleep, nobody cares. Until you give it to an elderly person sensitive to dementia from antihistamines. Then it's a problem.

That was a long way of saying, do you take antihistamines? Because that might be it.

Other ideas:

Do you use a CPAP for sleep? If not, can you use one for a day and see if it helps? I need one and I can't get it by prescription because I always am JUST above the cutoff. So I bought one on ebay and figured out how to use it. Perhaps simpler and cheaper would be an oxygen concentrator from amazon.com. But that won't help if you snore or you stop breathing, or shallow breathe. I shallow breathe and need the CPAP to improve it a bit.

Have you been tested for Celiac disease recently? As a person ages, their chances of triggering the genes increases. More than a third of people diagnosed with it are in the last 10 years of their life. Other food allergies are also more common as a person ages. Look at the "big 8" food allergens and consider if you might be allergic to any of them.

It's spring, do you usually feel allergic to pollen? Or mold? They're both active right now.

For me, I feel unwell if I don't have greens in my food every day. I don't even list them as "vegetables" anymore. I count them as greens separately. Are you getting your greens (cooked from frozen is ok)?

All I can think of at the moment. I hope you feel better soon!

jaminhealth

Some brief comments: For starters modern medicine does NOT want to find cures, they need people to be sick so people need to go to them and take their drugs. I believe this for sure. There are so many dread diseases and no cures any of them....we have to do our own work and thank goodness for the Dr. Google practice.

No CPAP, I sleep good and even better in the last weeks and I think due to HGH homeopathic gel I'm using now in my 8th week I believe. I've feeling subtle changes and my sleep was pretty good as I worked for a long time to get my sleep combo which I have posted here...but the HGH is doing something more.

I was so much better before hip replacement in 2010 and the complications I'm left with have made my body more like a Mack truck invasion.

More later.

dejurgen

I had this feeling of (my chest) being run over by a truck every morning for several years. Part of it was that apparently I did breathe (a lot) more while sleeping then when being awake. As the night passed on, I started breathing more and more heavily. Often I ended up "breathing like a horse" at the worst hours of my nights. As an ME person, that is very exhausting hence the very painful chest muscles. Part of what did the improvement for me was over a year of "learning to breathe well and efficient" therapy.

The chest muscle cramps that came on top of it (not specific for nights) seem to come with eating the wrong stuff and triggering one of my many food intollerances.

As with most things in ME/FM, plenty of different causes can result in similar symptoms.

jaminhealth

My chest is just fine, it's my body and as I've said it's OA and the cwap complications from hip replacement.

Grape Seed Extract keep my lungs and chest and MOST of my health good. Been taking it about 24 yrs...years before hip surgery and this FM label. I'm not sick just my muscles and joints and I deal with probably both the FM stuff and I know arthritis.

Not dead yet!

My chest is just fine, it's my body and as I've said it's OA and the cwap complications from hip replacement.

Grape Seed Extract keep my lungs and chest and MOST of my health good. Been taking it about 24 yrs...years before hip surgery and this FM label. I'm not sick just my muscles and joints and I deal with probably both the FM stuff and I know arthritis.

I guess the only other suggestion I have would be to take larger and larger doses of Vitamin C, especially since you've had surgery. It tends to get depleted. I think Linus Pauling was right. His particular suggestion is far above what even Dr. Weil suggests. The Pauling protocol says 6000 mg of Vitamin C per day (take a salt of it like Calcium Ascorbate or Magnesium Ascorbate, or it might be too acid).

And when feeling ill, up to 25,000 mg per day.

I get some of it by IV but that's about $200 per injection. However, a B12 injection should only cost you around $40. So if you suspect B12 is an issue, you can test that theory for cheap.

jaminhealth

Thanks B12 is good, over the range actually and that's OK.

I swear by grape seed ex and since working with HGH homeopathic gel I sleep even better and "maybe" waking up a little better....I'm 81 soon...so not a spring chicken. I have to take that into account.

Not dead yet!

Thanks B12 is good, over the range actually and that's OK.

I swear by grape seed ex and since working with HGH homeopathic gel I sleep even better and "maybe" waking up a little better....I'm 81 soon...so not a spring chicken. I have to take that into account.

Hmm, are you saying the "mack truck" feeling is gone? Or it's expected because of your age? Because if the latter, I'd disagree. I've known a lot of elderly people and there's no reason they should all expect to feel that way.

jaminhealth

Oh it's not gone, but I'm thinking a little less since heading into 2 months on this HGH Homeopathic Gel I use .....I live with a lot of aches and pains and I know OA but could be the FM in the mix too.

Not dead yet!

Oh it's not gone, but I'm thinking a little less since heading into 2 months on this HGH Homeopathic Gel I use .....I live with a lot of aches and pains and I know OA but could be the FM in the mix too.

Yeah that can make a big difference, it was someone in his 80s who first recommended to me that maybe I should take DHEA, and it's been a real help. Glad to hear HGH is working for you. I hope you feel better.

Since it's spring, perhaps antihistamines might be a bit of help (in small amounts)?

jaminhealth

I was first tested for DHEA about 20 yrs ago and my then integrative MD got me to taking it and I've been taking 25mg almost every day for 20 yrs..I get the levels tested now and then.

I woke up today thinking glutathione, I've never taken any.

Not dead yet!

I was first tested for DHEA about 20 yrs ago and my then integrative MD got me to taking it and I've been taking 25mg almost every day for 20 yrs..I get the levels tested now and then.

I woke up today thinking glutathione, I've never taken any.

How much Vitamin C do you take daily? If your subconscious is saying glutathione, it might be good to check your basic vitamin levels. Not that taking glutathione is bad, it's fine. But I get more bang out of Vitamin C at doses like 6,000 mg to 12,000 mg. Magnesium ascorbate isn't acidic and provides magnesium too.

I went out and found a place that gives vitamins by IV. That made a big difference last summer. I still go about once every two months.

Also, since you've said you're elderly, some zinc might be helpful. The thymus may be asleep but it's not totally gone. And what function is left, it would be good to support it.

jaminhealth

On the Vit C, I probably take 3000 daily, more I will get too loose and a friend just gave me info on Amla which is an Auyrevedic and more powerful than Vit C, so I'm buying a bottle and trying it out.

I take Grape Seed Ex daily 200mg at least, and it's 20times more powerful than Vit C, I'm on it 24 yrs...

I go off and on with zinc.

Don't get sick but live with aches and pains and burning and so much I believe now is from hip replacement almost 9 yrs ago. It was not a great success.

Ruth Kelly

On the Vit C, I probably take 3000 daily, more I will get too loose and a friend just gave me info on Amla which is an Auyrevedic and more powerful than Vit C, so I'm buying a bottle and trying it out.

I take Grape Seed Ex daily 200mg at least, and it's 20times more powerful than Vit C, I'm on it 24 yrs...

I go off and on with zinc.

Don't get sick but live with aches and pains and burning and so much I believe now is from hip replacement almost 9 yrs ago. It was not a great success.

Liposomal vitamin C can be taken in high dosages without adverse impact on the gut. To quote a source: The bioavailability of conventional and liposomal vitamin C is compared to intravenous administration, which is close to 100%. One study in adult humans found that the amount of very high dose (4 g) liposomal vitamin C taken up is almost double that of traditional oral supplements.

Personally, I take 3 grams of liposomal c daily with zero negative impact. I'm not convinced that level of intake is going to be best for me long-term since it's not clear how it can impact the body if taken indefinitely in such high quantities. But, if you're still looking for a good source of non-disruptive vitamin C, liposomal has been a boon for me.

jaminhealth

This morning NOT feeling the Mack truck feeling like I have for years. It will be a year next month that I'm using HGH homeopathic gel. And I'm pretty consistent with the Super Cortisol...

jaminhealth

I'm finding now that taking 200-300mg of Potassium before I go to sleep my Mack truck is much less, I am more alert and energized...

Potassium is important and if we are LOW, we are not functioning as well as we can if we got Enough Potassium..

Remember RDA is 4700mg+ and no way do I get that with food and I'd suspect none here do either..

jaminhealth

Just talking to my friend who deals with ME and she is forever taking 200 mg Potassium Glucconate about 5 times thru the day, including once during the night. And she's committed....We Don't Get Enough Potassium and even with the 1000mg she takes thru the day, the RDA is 4700mg and the rest has to come from foods...and that's tough too.

And as far as testing she claims people especially with ME/CFS have issues intrarcellular with potassium getting into their bodies.

Do some research for yourselves too on this need for Potassium

Zapped

Hello Jamin. I’m ~about 5 years your junior but have been CFSME compromised since 1986, pursuant to a vacation in Lake Tahoe (alleged source of current outbreak). Glad to talk with other seniors=)

Yes, I’ve recently felt the Mack Truck hit. My malaise has been progressively downwards in stages,
accelerated after 70. Now I add painful neuropathy, terrible insomnia and IBS. I believe these are related, primarily because of the close neurological overlaps. Howeve, I’m about to get my thyroid results back
next week and I’m hoping this is the cause of the increased down feelings of the hard hit vs brain!

[FWIW, I was surprised when the gastroenterologist specifically prescribed “Align,” vs other supplements after updating him on these symptoms.🤷‍♂️]

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources