Diet Gastroparesis

Jo-Jo

Does anyone have gastroparesis which means very slow digestion. I’m sure a better diet would help me feel better. But first I am stumped about what to eat. I’m supposed to eat baby food essentially. But then because a paleo type diet does feel better I’m stumped. I can’t eat fiber, salads, only cooked veggies gag. And then how do you find the energy to prepare food. Catch 22.

Folk

How did you get this diagnose?

I wish to explore everything on my digestive system but I have no idea how (specially where I live).

Hiver

@Jo-Jo The solution for me are in periods to stay away from fibers completely - broth and Juicing (both home made) takes away the fibre whilst keeping some of the nutritient. Skyr and Yoghurts for protein if you can tolerate some milk.

@Folk look up the words “delayed emptying test”.

Folk

@Jo-Jo The solution for me are in periods to stay away from fibers completely - broth and Juicing (both home made) takes away the fibre whilst keeping some of the nutritient. Skyr and Yoghurts for protein if you can tolerate some milk.

@Folk look up the words “delayed emptying test”.

Thxx, I've also noticed after YEARS of been told to eat more and more fiber
that the solution is staying away from it, redcuing a loot

Look it up at my thread about carnivorism. https://www.healthrising.org/forums...-its-supposed-to-be-shocking.5815/#post-33166

And if you like it, there's a lot of info and people doing well, recovering from a lot of disease on just meat...

Hiver

Gastroparesis is a motility issue where you are not able to empty the Ventri. The clue in my strategy above is to give the muscles as little as possible to work with until the stomach is able to start the emptying again (usually 3-4 days for me).

I’m sure that eating meat could be great for other symptoms, but I’m afraid it would be a pretty bad idea for the worst days of gastroparesis.

Last edited:

Not dead yet!

Does anyone have gastroparesis which means very slow digestion. I’m sure a better diet would help me feel better. But first I am stumped about what to eat. I’m supposed to eat baby food essentially. But then because a paleo type diet does feel better I’m stumped. I can’t eat fiber, salads, only cooked veggies gag. And then how do you find the energy to prepare food. Catch 22.

I have an unconventional idea for you. I had GERD with very slow emptying of my stomach and it sometimes still happens. I use a TENS unit, and attach the electrodes in what I amusingly call the "Frankenstein" position on my neck. Sometimes I move it back a bit so it's just behind the large muscle on each side. I'm trying to reach the Vagus nerve, so I turn it up a bit higher than usual to get deep. It empties my stomach within a few minutes (I start that about 35-45 min after eating). I had to do it every time for a while, but then my body just readjusted and now I have to be very sick to need it. A decent TENS is around $100-300 in the USA. Not sure about other countries. But here they are OTC.

Anyway the PPI's were adding to my fatigue so I couldn't go that route. My pain is too generalized to be properly treated with TENS, but when my low back freaks out, it helps.

Not dead yet!

Yes, I do, together with gastritis. Increased levels of acetylcholine appear to help. I take galantamine - a mild acetylcholinesterase inhibitor - for this purpose.

That's a prescribed drug in the USA, btw. Might be hard to find, unless you count the "lucid dreaming" subculture which occasionally sells herbal forms of unknown quality online. It's simple to use the wrong plant bulbs and end up with a toxic result. I'm a risk taker, but that's beyond my limit.

Hiver

Very interesting, guys! I’m convinced that the Vagus Nerve is an essential factor to my gastroparesis.

Has anyone here tried Mestinon? Does also increase acetylcholine.

Merida

Vagus nerve seems likely to me too. My GI function varies with how well my neck is doing - if the occiput/ Atlas are aligned. Ginger tea ( use rounded tablespoon minced fresh ginger, hot water, honey) helps too. But also, wonder how many of us have a long, redundant , twisted colon? I do, and so did a number of my support group members. I use Ensure when things are really slow. It is low/ no residue. Was life-saving for me. No raw nuts, seeds. No lettuce. Rice bran is gentle, and helps with bulk.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources