Jodi Basset : Creator of Hummingbirds Foundation For M.E. Is Dead at the Age of 39*

BeccaRising

*Every Blessing to Jodi Basset*
Yes. What a hero she remains! Jodi was awake to what really matters in life despite the immune and iatrogenic abuse that kicked her out of her body. Every molecule of strength she breathed is even now in our lungs. Jodi: With other great ones known and unknown to us, Jodi Bassett is a model of Service To Others. Her life is Art, her mediums passion, compassion, creativity. Nothing that she has done to provide an outside-the-box perspective to consider is wasted. Our lives are richer and more hopeful for the time and love she gave from her limited time on this plane. From a sister artist whose life has been likewise affected, be free, Hummingbird.

Yavapai

It sounds like people are looking at the cancer and CFS/ME as two different issues. That is what I see as the problem on how people look at disease and healing.

This is also why I agree that CFS/ME are the dumping ground for doctors that do not want to see how oxidative stress is at the core of all disease.

She dies from oxidative stress, probably too much H2O2.

manyturtles

May she rest in peace. For those of us still fighting, keep fighting for hopefully, some day soon, there will be a cure. I pray I live long enough for that to happen. Blessed be to all who are impacted by these types of illnesses. Thoughts and prayers are with all.

Jibsoz

Oh wow just found out what a tragic loss. Hope Jodi is at peace. My condolences to her family.
I remember Jodi's posts from 19 years ago from one of the first online support groups here in Australia. I never knew or don't remember her being a fellow west aussie. RIP Jodi and thanks for all the great info that despite ur ill health you disseminated

RKB

I am curious why her views on ME/CFS were considered so controversial?

That's a very good question. There is no controversy based on the existing facts, and Jodi reported facts, not views. ME is a clearly-defined infectious-onset disease which was registered with the WHO nearly 20 years before the term and concept of 'CFS' even existed. I was equally saddened to have learned of her passing :(.

RKB

The controversial parts for me were that EBV and other pathogens don't contribute to ME (only enteroviruses do) and that there's no such thing as CFS. People who have CFS by definition Jodi thought must have another undiagnosed disease. I never really understood that.

If a patient is constantly fatigued due to an EBV infection, then that is their diagnosis: they have EBV. If, however, a patient contracts the enteroviral infection that causes ME, and subsequently also contracts EBV or another pathogen due to compromised immune system, then that is their diagnosis: ME, with secondary infection of EBV or other pathogen.

Similar as with HIV/AIDS - an HIV infection does not cause AIDS, directly: an HIV infection attacks and damages the immune system until the patient contracts a number of secondary problems due to the inability of the destroyed immune system to protect the person from them. AIDS is defined by the development of these secondary problems due to the immunocompromisation caused by the HIV infection. Hope that helps.

Merida

@RKB
I am pretty much with the retroviral and/ or EBV cause of ME/CFS. My son had ME/CFS at age 5, after a severe, documented case of EBV. For him, the EBV was primary.

I have suspicions that body structure may be a contributing cause of problems, though. Scoliosis is very common in the CFS/ ME /FM group.
There are many structural issues that can be associated with scoliosis - like small holes for the vertebral arteries in the top neck vertebrae. ( from Scoliosis and Spinal Pain Syndrome by Prof. Valentyn Serdyuk, MD. )
These structural issues may cause poor blood flow in areas , and/ or too much tension on the dura-meningeal system. Yes, both me and my son have mild scoliosis.

I don't know anything about enteroviruses, but appreciate they can do similar damage - i.e. Hit the CNS, cause carditis, hepatitis, thyroiditis, etc. etc.

Then there is Borrelia/Lyme and the coinfections. I just got diagnosed with late stage Lyme. But, I was already not well prior to the known tick bite -2010. Whew. Think it ultimately may come down to the ability of our immune systems to control so many potential infections.

So sad about Jodi. Wonder if she ever explored the Borrelia issue.

RKB

@RKB
I am pretty much with the retroviral and/ or EBV cause of ME/CFS. My son had ME/CFS at age 5, after a severe, documented case of EBV. For him, the EBV was primary.

I have suspicions that body structure may be a contributing cause of problems, though. Scoliosis is very common in the CFS/ ME /FM group.
There are many structural issues that can be associated with scoliosis - like small holes for the vertebral arteries in the top neck vertebrae. ( from Scoliosis and Spinal Pain Syndrome by Prof. Valentyn Serdyuk, MD. )
These structural issues may cause poor blood flow in areas , and/ or too much tension on the dura-meningeal system. Yes, both me and my son have mild scoliosis.

I don't know anything about enteroviruses, but appreciate they can do similar damage - i.e. Hit the CNS, cause carditis, hepatitis, thyroiditis, etc. etc.

Then there is Borrelia/Lyme and the coinfections. I just got diagnosed with late stage Lyme. But, I was already not well prior to the known tick bite -2010. Whew. Think it ultimately may come down to the ability of our immune systems to control so many potential infections.

So sad about Jodi. Wonder if she ever explored the Borrelia issue.

The main points that Jodi was making are these: ME is not the same thing as 'CFS'. 'CFS' is not a diagnosis. Any preexisting immune system compromisation will make people more susceptible to any infectious disease, including ME, including Lyme, and including EBV.

EBV is an infectious disease. ME is an infectious disease. Lyme disease is an infectious disease. Each are distinct illnesses which have different pathogenic causes, different treatments, and some similar symptoms. None of these diseases are variations or versions of 'CFS'. They each are the specific disease - and specific diagnosis - that they are.

If your son experienced constant fatigue as a result of a primary EBV infection, the EBV infection was his diagnosis - it was the cause of his constant fatigue and other symptoms. He did not have ME, as ME is an enteroviral infection.

Yes, I would say that Jodi very much did explore Borrelia/Lyme, as it is one of the many diseases and conditions which are now frequently being missed/misdiagnosed/not diagnosed due to the manufacture of the concept of 'CFS'. A Lyme disease infection is a Lyme disease infection. If there is preexisting immunocompromisation, that could easily have made you more susceptible to contracting Lyme disease when you were exposed to it. But unless your illness was caused by the specific strain of enterovirus which causes ME, you don't have ME. You have something else.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources