Mikovits Still Believes XMRV is It!

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I knew Dr. Mikovits was talking about something but I didn't know that she believed XMRV was still a real problem.

She refused to destroy data? Who is ever asked to destroy data?
Phoenix, AZ -- (SBWIRE) -- 02/01/2016 -- On July 22, 2009, a special meeting was held with twenty-four leading scientists at the National Institutes of Health to discuss early findings that a newly discovered retrovirus was linked to chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), prostate cancer, lymphoma, and eventually neurodevelopmental disorders in children. When Dr. Judy Mikovits finished her presentation the room was silent for a moment, then one of the scientists said, "Oh my God!"

This was the start of a controversial debate about the XMVR retrovirus. After being wrongfully jailed, Dr. Mikovits was under a court sanctioned gag order for four years because she refused to destroy the data. She is now a speaking out about the link of XMVR Retrovirus and its suspected link to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Myalgic Encephalopathy (CFS/ME) and cancer.

Her research shows that 6% of the U.S. population is harboring a retrovirus in their bodies that can develop into an acquired immune deficiency. The book "Plague: One Scientist's intrepid Search For the Truth about Human Retroviruses and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Autism, and Other Diseases" documents her story about this legal drama, dishonest and ill informed criticism.

Krizani

I knew Dr. Mikovits was talking about something but I didn't know that she believed XMRV was still a real problem.

She refused to destroy data? Who is ever asked to destroy data?

Dr. William Thompson of the CDC could tell you a lot about being asked to destroy data. He talked about being called into an office with a trash can and ordered to dump what he was told to by his superiors in order to facilitate falsifying a study. I suspect this is far from uncommon.

Strike me lucky

I just think retroviruses in cfs needs further research . Until they know the exact cause i dont think any avenue of research should be avoided .

There seems to be something underlying causing immune suppression and allowing infections to reactivate. Research has shown this to happen in a large proportion of cfsme patients . Its possible there may be another group with autoimmune tendencies which may be rituximab responders.

Merida

There is a lot going on in biomedical/ biowarfare research that we are not aware of. Last year a very dangerous bacterium 'escaped' from Tulane Univ. highly secure lab - Burkholderia pseudomallei. Science magazine ( online) reports, "The Tulane incident follows several accidents with risky pathogens last year at U.S. high- containment labs that have fueled concerns about dual-use research, or studies of agents that could potentially be used as bioweapons."

I sure admire Dr. Mikovitz's conviction, courage, and determination. The William Thompson incident made me completely rethink the integrity of the CDC vaccine division. Where there is one big lie, there are more big lies. The fact that the CDC was so dismissive of CFS/ME from the very beginning ( Incline Village) makes me wonder what they know and are trying to hide. Ha! The CDC - used to be a "shining star" in my eyes. In the early 1970s I actually got a letter of commendation from them for being one of the first clinical diagnostic microbiologists to isolate a new pathogen - called Pasteurella 'gas' initially - now Pasteurella dagmatis. This happened at St. Francis General Hospital, Pittsburgh.

Not dead yet!

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add the book that came out after the fuss was over with WPI and Dr. Judy Mikovits. This book links to her side of the story. I mentioned it to two medical professionals, they both said, wow coverup. I didn't even have to say it myself. In her shoes I would've behaved much the same. Some people seek truth, others profits. You decide who's who.

https://www.amazon.com/Plague-Scientist’s-Intrepid-Retroviruses-Syndrome/dp/1626365652

Briefly, she contends that ME is one of the results of bad purification of vaccines. That is the explosive issue that she touched upon. The other issue she talks about a lot in the book is Autism and how the same mechanism could be leading to both. She estimates that 30% of vaccines are not purified enough to exclude MLV's (murine (mouse) lukemia viruses), and that xmrv was formed by a mutation of one of those or several of them when enough of them entered the human blood stream by vaccines. The MLV's "jumped and became XMRV, that's the theory.

Her work was hindered by nondisclosure by a previous researcher that he had recombined his XMRV virus from different samples instead of getting one genetic fingerprint from one patient sample. The "contamination" and subsequent "failure to reproduce" may be because of this failure to disclose an important fact. Basically when Mikovits was doing the work, she was looking at a "family" of XMRV-like viruses and when people tried to replicate the study, they used Dr. Silverman's recombined definiton of XMRV, mostly.

A few labs did use her "family of viruses" method, but not many, and they were able to replicate her work, but since the majority didn't, it was discredited. What happened to her personally though is something I could only have imagined in a brutal dictatorship, not a free country. She experienced bribery of judges, warrantless incarceration, and at one point was ordered to pay her ex employer about 15 million dollars by the aforementioned bribed judge.

Even if you disagree with her, if you have ME/CFS you need to know this, have a family member read it to you, but this is so... explanatory of why ME/CFS is a "hated" disease by the med community. And I'm not exaggerating when I say hated.

Merida

@Not dead yet!
Very interesting post. Yes, the vaccine issue is important, and the 'powers that be' would never let vaccine safety be questioned for very long. Example: The Rotovirus vaccine given to babies at 2, 4, and 6 months, was found to contain pig circovirus DNA ' fragments.' This circovirus is an immunosuppressive virus that makes baby pigs very sick, and can cause death.

Well, at first, the vaccine was pulled. Then the FDA ( not CDC??? ) determined that the vaccine was okay and it was back on the shelf. My grandson received this vaccine and screamed for a day. Then, he didn't poop for 23 days. He was totally breast fed, and had had totally normal poops till this 4 month vaccine. The pediatrician refused to believe that the vaccine had caused a problem. She said that all the breast milk was being absorbed . Ridiculous. Now , at age 4, he has a chronic constipation.

JennyJenny

I don't have a problem with research of retroviruses into ME/CFS, but I don't think it will prove to be the cause.

If retroviruses are investigated, I don't want Mikovits anywhere near the research.

Not dead yet!

I have not read it and I am not moved by her army of spammers that are supporting her and IMO they are lemmings.

Huh? You say you don't want her near the research. OK, granted. Why? Any specific reason? I mean if you won't even hear out her side of the story... why does it matter so much?

And what if someone else just picked up the same research? Is it the person or the research?

I'll have to call bs on the spammer / lemmings issue though since you signed with a link to the Jehovah's Witnesses website. :hilarious:

Last edited:

JennyJenny

Mikovits is a charlatan just like Simon Wessely. She twists science just enough that people can't see the truth of the matter. She can't even see the truth.

XMRV is a non-issue for ME/CFS and IMO of no issue to health in general. I don't think retroviruses have anything to do with ME/CFS but if anyone BUT Mikovits wants to waste good money into it, I am OK with that. huh? wha? What did I say? Yea I said it. Non-issue.

If she were in the UK she would have huge amounts of money thrown at her like Wesely and his crew receive. The medical system there is d-u-m-b and Victorian.

XMRV and CFS: So long, and thanks for the lulz, PI
http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2011/05/31/xmrv-and-chronic-fatigue-syndr-23/

XMRV and CFS: So long, and thanks for the lulz, PII
http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2011/06/01/xmrv-and-chronic-fatigue-syndr-25/

Mikovits near ME/CFS research, or her doing ME/CFS research looking into retroviruses, or just retroviruses, in general, is bad. Real researchers looking into ME/CFS, their ME/CFS research looking into retroviruses (although I don't agree that retroviruses are involved), or just retroviruses in general, is good.

Last edited:

Merida

@JennyJenny
I just finished Mikovits book. A great read. She was a very successful scientist/researcher for 20 plus years, was selected to head WPI research. Then, she suddenly collapsed as a scientist and lost her talent and skill?

Doesn't make sense. But what does make sense is that she stepped into forbidden territory - viral/ vaccine causes of Autism. The powers that be had to silence this possibility. Plus, Judy is a no nonsense woman. She accomplished so much during her life - so much more than any of us. But WPI turned out to be a toxic place. Several years ago Harvey Whitmore was indicted in Federal Court and given a prison sentence for illegal campaign contributions.

So I really admire Judy Mikovitz and her courage. Many decades ago it was accepted science that there would never be a human retrovirus found. Well, we have HIV and HTLV 1 and 2 so far. And it is appreciated that about 8 per cent of our DNA is proviral material, so . . .

If you do not know the William Thompson ( CDC whistleblower)story please read about it.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources