My Detox with Infrared Sauna Journal.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Whatcha doing in there, Mom??
View attachment 982
Look at those beautiful dogs...
Just so you know, cutting to the chase is normally my specialty (thus part of my problem at PR lol). My journey so far has been waaay to haphazard, as I didn't realize how many mg I was getting from an old bottle I had of SSKI (50 mg. / drop). I was taking 5 drops a day, felt something was too intense, took a few days off, started on 5 drops again, and again had to drop back.

I good amount to start with is more like 1-2 mg /day, and gradually build up from there. A lot of people plateau at 50 mg; others take more because of a serious need, like breast or ovarian cancer, or other various endocrine or other issues. So now to cut to the chase....:) I only found out about my dosage a couple days ago, and haven't taken any since--and won't until all my detox symptoms are gone.

That actually seems to be the case today. I've read that when others take a 2-day break from supplementation, they can often experience feeling better than when they supplemented every day. Today has been that kind of experience, and is a good day for me! I'm actually heading off for a walk in the sunshine right now. Hooray!

Remy

Administrator
Session 2...20 minutes, starting at 105 and ending about 115. Took 1 capsule activated charcoal prior and Oral IV/green tea after.

I still feel fidgety inside sauna. I'm not sure if it's from the heat or just anxiety from the enclosed space. It's not intolerable, but I wouldn't call it relaxing by any means. I would suggest buying the largest sauna you can afford for sure though. I'd give anything to be able to lay down more.

Later that night...sore throat hits. Hard to know if detox or just getting the cold that's been making the rounds. Either way, time to break out the Vit C.

Nick Richards

Session 2...20 minutes, starting at 105 and ending about 115. Took 1 capsule activated charcoal prior and Oral IV/green tea after.

I still feel fidgety inside sauna. I'm not sure if it's from the heat or just anxiety from the enclosed space. It's not intolerable, but I wouldn't call it relaxing by any means. I would suggest buying the largest sauna you can afford for sure though. I'd give anything to be able to lay down more.

Later that night...sore throat hits. Hard to know if detox or just getting the cold that's been making the rounds. Either way, time to break out the Vit C.
I have had mine now for 7 months doing 20 minute sessions 2 to 3x a week...
It has helped with my candida but not with my CFS symptoms
I also wished a bought one that I could lay down in so 20 minutes is MAX for me
I have just started taking an EPSOM salt bath after doing the sauna and that has helped a bit

Remy

Administrator
So the sore throat? It was not detox. It was my first cold in about 5 years. Progress?

So I took a few days off from the sauna and just did a session this afternoon.

I had two revelations. One, that I need to tape the bottle of charcoal to the door to remember to take it before I get in and two, I should really shave my legs more than once every six months! :nailbiting:
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Remy

Administrator
I do realize that this is not my puppy thread...but it is so boring in the sauna and the puppies are so cute!! I swear they'd get in if I'd let them. And that sauna is not built to accommodate 125 lbs of golden retriever and me.

Sauna Guard Dog.

image.jpeg

Hope

I've been thinking of getting an infrared sauna too. which one did you get Remy?
I do conventional saunas 3 to 4 times a week. It feels great but I don't know if it has more than a temporary effect.
I do have a friend who has been doing fir saunas now for five months and has improved tremendously from CFS and fm.

Remy

Administrator
I've been thinking of getting an infrared sauna too. which one did you get Remy?
I got the Clearlight CE-2.

I debated between that and the Sunlighten but was very turned off by Sunlighten's aggressive marketing. I think they called and/or emailed me every single day for weeks.

The Clearlight had good reviews from people I trust, a mix of the carbon and ceramic heaters and low EMF. And the price was right. Make sure you get it on sale though. :)

It's very fancy too...bluetooth sync with my iPhone, chromatherapy, all the bells and whistles. :D

There is a review of the CE-2 and many other saunas on this site:

http://holisticsaunas.com/

I think the infrared has benefits over the conventional sauna in terms of detox. So if you like that feeling, I think you'll be happy you did it. Just get the biggest one you can afford.

Hope

I got trapped by the Sunlighten people too and did not appreciate it.

Thanks for the link to Clearlight, they have qualities I'm looking for. So am looking at their 1 person dome, the pup tent type sauna. I tried one once and didn't mind it. I have some $$ coming my way soon, so maybe... And my friend really has improved tremendously with FIR sauna. She's leading an almost normal life - socializing a lot, yoga, walks, still not working though. And I know, 5 months isn't quite convincing but when you see someone change dramatically, it does make you check it out.

Don't you wish you knew if it would make a difference before spending money though...

Remy

Administrator
I'm still only doing the sauna once a week but I anticipate trying for twice soon. I've been feeling better in general so pushing it with activity and not wanting to push it with the sauna too.

I'm a lot more comfortable in the sauna now. As I get used to it, I think my fight or flight is settling down so I'm not so anxious.

The puppies still want to get in.

I did some energy testing the other day with some supplements after I'd gotten out of the sauna and the positive response to the activated charcoal was nuts. My body was obviously detoxing and looking for all the help it could get!

Remy

Administrator
It's been almost 2 months since my last update! Wow, time flies.

So the good news is that I'm tolerating my sauna much better overall now. I'm up to 2-3 times a week for 20-30 minutes. I don't start to freak out when the temp climbs over 110 degrees anymore either.

I've been listening to a lot of interesting podcasts on water, of all things. The hardest to learn is the least complicated. I think the Indigo Girls said that...LOL.

So anyway, I'm thinking it applies to the sauna as well. Basically they are saying that the infrared energy is absorbed by the water in the cells and it turns them into EZ water (if you don't know what this is, read Gerald Pollack's book, The Fourth Phase of Water). Basically this is the kind of water that is in our cells naturally and it helps to facilitate movement of nutrients and toxins across cell membranes. When we start to build up excess charge in our cells (usually Ca in my opinion) things don't work as well and movement slows down and mitochondria stop working. The EZ water is what we need to reverse the charge in our cells to help get them working again.

EZ water basically also explains how homeopathy works which will probably make some people all go woo and turn off but the history of this is truly fascinating. I highly recommend reading the Pollack book. It sort of reads like a soap opera.

And water! The most important part of our body, at least by volume anyway. And the least understood apparently.

But anyway, that helped me to understand how the sauna is helping. It's the infrared energy changing the charge of the cell so it functions better that causes a cellular detox independent of the sweating.. It makes so much more sense than that it was just sweating out crap. I mean, I'm sure that is good too but still.

The other thing I've started is a serious MCAD (mast cell) program and I'm wondering if I'm also tolerating the sauna better because I'm not reacting to the heat with as much mast cell degranulation/histamine.

It will be interesting to see if this continues to improve!

Lissa

My whole life I've struggled with heat intolerance. Saunas and hot tubs make me feel sick almost immediately. Makes me feel like I'm going to pass out. I can't imagine it as a treatment...

But now I'm wondering if there is a link -- with these symptoms to MCAS? And if MCAS were treated maybe using a sauna would work?! I'm intrigued!!!

tara

It's been almost 2 months since my last update! Wow, time flies.

So the good news is that I'm tolerating my sauna much better overall now. I'm up to 2-3 times a week for 20-30 minutes. I don't start to freak out when the temp climbs over 110 degrees anymore either.

I've been listening to a lot of interesting podcasts on water, of all things. The hardest to learn is the least complicated. I think the Indigo Girls said that...LOL.

So anyway, I'm thinking it applies to the sauna as well. Basically they are saying that the infrared energy is absorbed by the water in the cells and it turns them into EZ water (if you don't know what this is, read Gerald Pollack's book, The Fourth Phase of Water). Basically this is the kind of water that is in our cells naturally and it helps to facilitate movement of nutrients and toxins across cell membranes. When we start to build up excess charge in our cells (usually Ca in my opinion) things don't work as well and movement slows down and mitochondria stop working. The EZ water is what we need to reverse the charge in our cells to help get them working again.

EZ water basically also explains how homeopathy works which will probably make some people all go woo and turn off but the history of this is truly fascinating. I highly recommend reading the Pollack book. It sort of reads like a soap opera.

And water! The most important part of our body, at least by volume anyway. And the least understood apparently.

But anyway, that helped me to understand how the sauna is helping. It's the infrared energy changing the charge of the cell so it functions better that causes a cellular detox independent of the sweating.. It makes so much more sense than that it was just sweating out crap. I mean, I'm sure that is good too but still.

The other thing I've started is a serious MCAD (mast cell) program and I'm wondering if I'm also tolerating the sauna better because I'm not reacting to the heat with as much mast cell degranulation/histamine.

It will be interesting to see if this continues to improve!
Hi @Remy just wondering if you are continuing to improve with the infrared sauna. There are quite a few trials on their healing capabilities and ability to activate the immune system.

I always have less phlegm for about 2 days after I use the pod at Sunlighten. I'm in Aus and they don't seem so aggressive here.

Anyway are you continuing to improve? Can I ask about the cost? I think the pod is about 5 k here.

Remy

Administrator
Hi @Remy just wondering if you are continuing to improve with the infrared sauna. There are quite a few trials on their healing capabilities and ability to activate the immune system.

I always have less phlegm for about 2 days after I use the pod at Sunlighten. I'm in Aus and they don't seem so aggressive here.

Anyway are you continuing to improve? Can I ask about the cost? I think the pod is about 5 k here.
It is summer here. It is very hot outside and I am less than enthusiastic about sitting in the sauna at the moment. Plus we are remodeling and contractors everywhere.

I need to get back in the routine though for sure. I'm definitely more tolerant of it now than when I started and think it is a very important tool. Maybe I will start today!

It was about $2500 US dollars for the model I got.

Remy

Administrator
I haven't posted an update in ages, but I'm still carrying on with the sauna...about 35 minutes almost every night.

I think it is helping a lot. My pain levels are down and my energy is pretty good as well.

Not cured yet, but it feels right to keep at it.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Good news. It's definitely on my list when I settle down. I think I could convert my super hot little sauna to infrared. I certainly hope so. Glad to hear it!
I haven't posted an update in ages, but I'm still carrying on with the sauna...about 35 minutes almost every night.

I think it is helping a lot. My pain levels are down and my energy is pretty good as well.

Not cured yet, but it feels right to keep at it.
new

Hope

Me too, am looking to get one off craigslist to keep costs down. Blackstone seems a good low EMF make as well as Sunlighten but the latter more expensive. I have a friend with FM and ME who is much improved with doing IR sauna daily. She bought a cheap one off craigslist without bothering to look at reviews so it's not low EMF, not low off-gassing etc but still it's been a year of improvement for her.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources