Pilot Study of Natural Killer Cells in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Multip

Who Me?

Pilot Study of Natural Killer Cells in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Multiple Sclerosis

Abstract

Patients with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) and multiple sclerosis (MS) suffer from debilitating fatigue which is not alleviated by rest. In addition to the fatigue-related symptoms suffered by patients with CFS/ME and MS, dysfunction of the immune system and, in particular, reduced natural killer (NK) cell cytotoxic activity has also been reported in CFS/ME and MS. The purpose of this pilot study was to compare NK cellular mechanisms in patients with CFS/ME and MS to investigate potential dysfunctions in the NK cell activity pathway. Flow cytometry protocols assessed CD56(dim) CD16(+) and CD56(bright) CD16(+/-) NK cell expression of adhesion molecules, NK activating and inhibiting receptors, NK cell maturation and lytic proteins. All participants in this study were female and included 14 patients with CFS/ME, nine patients with MS and 19 non-fatigued controls. The patient groups and the non-fatigued controls were not taking any immunosuppressive or immune-enhancing medications. In the MS cohort, KIR2DL5 was significantly increased on CD56(bright) CD16(+/-) NK cells and expression of CD94 was significantly increased on CD56(dim) CD16(+) NK cells in comparison with the controls. Co-expression of CD57 and perforin was significantly increased on CD56(dim) CD16(+) NK cells from patients with CFS/ME compared to the MS and non-fatigued control participants. The results from this pilot study suggest that NK cells from patients with CFS/ME and MS may have undergone increased differentiation in response to external stimuli which may affect different mechanisms in the NK cell cytotoxic activity pathway.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26381393

loki

maybe the NK cell activity is downregulated because inner CNS microglia immunity is upregulated

IrisRV

I always like to know who the authors are before I dig too deeply, so here they are: Huth TK1,2, Brenu EW1,2, Ramos S1,2, Nguyen T1,2, Broadley S3,4, Staines D1,2, Marshall-Gradisnik S1,2.

I'm always excited when this group publishes something new. They know how to dig deep. This is an impressive group with a history of excellent immunology research. They don't even have to change outcomes midstream to get decent results. Imagine that.

RuthAnn

I am actually wondering if it is possible that infected NK cells started an autoimmune function. Has anyone been tested for NK autoantibodies? I don't understand most of the OP's article, so if it states that in the article please forgive me.

IrisRV

I am actually wondering if it is possible that infected NK cells started an autoimmune function. Has anyone been tested for NK autoantibodies? I don't understand most of the OP's article, so if it states that in the article please forgive me.
Does medicine know how to identify or test for NK autoantibodies? IIRC, medicine believes a number of specific autoantibodies exist for whichi they have not found a way to identify/detect yet, and others they have found but for which there is not a standard test available to patients. But then, my information may be way outdated.

RuthAnn

Does medicine know how to identify or test for NK autoantibodies? IIRC, medicine believes a number of specific autoantibodies exist for whichi they have not found a way to identify/detect yet, and others they have found but for which there is not a standard test available to patients. But then, my information may be way outdated.

That's a good question. I don't know.

But while looking for an answer I found this, this is really strange. You can buy NK cells and NK antibodies.

https://www.abdserotec.com/nk-cell-receptor-antibodies.html

http://www.abcam.com/natural-killer-cell-antibody-ank44-ab36388.html

IrisRV

That's a good question. I don't know.

But while looking for an answer I found this, this is really strange. You can buy NK cells and NK antibodies.

https://www.abdserotec.com/nk-cell-receptor-antibodies.html

http://www.abcam.com/natural-killer-cell-antibody-ank44-ab36388.html
Interesting! These are for research apparently. Still it indicates that they can identify and isolate at least some NK cell antibodies. I'm not at all knowledgeable about the immune system. Would these antibodies definitely be autoantibodies? That is, would antibodies ever be good in this situation? Dumb question probably, but I'm clueless about this.

RuthAnn

Interesting! These are for research apparently. Still it indicates that they can identify and isolate at least some NK cell antibodies. I'm not at all knowledgeable about the immune system. Would these antibodies definitely be autoantibodies? That is, would antibodies ever be good in this situation? Dumb question probably, but I'm clueless about this.
I don't know, but did you know Cort has an article about NK cells?

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...ic-fatigue-syndrome-three-natural-ways-boost/

weyland

I'm not sure that studying this particular aspect of the disease is ever going to get us far. It is apparently well established in the literature that psychological stress can cause reduced NK cell function. Cytokine disturbances and NK cell dysfunction has been documented in PTSD for example.

Strike me lucky

I think its perforin thats used by nk cells to kill viruses and these nk researchers are finding that perforin is the reason why nk function is low. As for why this is so ??

I wonder if its related to immune exhaustion. Hard to know as i guess there wouldnt be any research showing low nk function on newly diagnosed cfsers that is several weeks with cfs. With 6 months before a diagnosis of cfs is probably long enough to cause immune exhaustion with low nk function. Many dont get diagnosed or tested for nk function until several years down the track.

Strike me lucky

I'd like to see a study of cfsers with low nk function and somehow increase nk function and see if theres improvement in cfsers. Im guessing the nk function would have to be improved for a certain length of time before symptoms improved.

I guess with ampligen they see responders in those with low nk function who improve and show a better nk function. It would be good to see more research combining ampligen and nk testing. Then more research on other ways to treat low nk function.

Theres also research showing different T cells also have low function and its possible that those with normal nk function may have a low function of other T cells or maybe both??

Lots of questions but no answers unfortunately.

weyland

I think its perforin thats used by nk cells to kill viruses and these nk researchers are finding that perforin is the reason why nk function is low. As for why this is so ??
I think in ME patients it could be a consequence of dysautonomia. NK cells express beta-adrenergic receptors, the activation of which suppresses their activity, so excess sympathetic nervous system tone could be one possible explanation.

RuthAnn

I'd like to see a study of cfsers with low nk function and somehow increase nk function and see if theres improvement in cfsers. Im guessing the nk function would have to be improved for a certain length of time before symptoms improved.

I guess with ampligen they see responders in those with low nk function who improve and show a better nk function. It would be good to see more research combining ampligen and nk testing. Then more research on other ways to treat low nk function.

Theres also research showing different T cells also have low function and its possible that those with normal nk function may have a low function of other T cells or maybe both??

Lots of questions but no answers unfortunately.

Has anyone tried the supplements in the article at Cort's blog?

I haven't had NK cells measured. I saw one site for measuring them, it looks expensive. Maybe insurance pays for it???

Don't forget the study that said that Influenza A virus causes apoptosis of NK cells. I wonder if there are other viruses that do the same thing.

Reishi gives me substantial improvement when I take it consistently. I didn't realize it's supposed to help raise NK cell function. I have some colostrum but still haven't taken it consistently for any length of time, but I'll restart that next week. Melatonin didn't help with sleep at all, so I never gave that a good trial.

Strike me lucky

Has anyone tried the supplements in the article at Cort's blog?

I haven't had NK cells measured. I saw one site for measuring them, it looks expensive. Maybe insurance pays for it???

Don't forget the study that said that Influenza A virus causes apoptosis of NK cells. I wonder if there are other viruses that do the same thing.

Reishi gives me substantial improvement when I take it consistently. I didn't realize it's supposed to help raise NK cell function. I have some colostrum but still haven't taken it consistently for any length of time, but I'll restart that next week. Melatonin didn't help with sleep at all, so I never gave that a good trial.

Can you post a link to the article here. Easy access to have on this post.

Cheers

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources