Pulsed High-dose Vitamin D

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I talked with a German woman who is becoming a pediatrician.

She said pulsed, very high dose - > 20,000 - 60,000 mgs of Vitamin day - every 3 or 4 days worked for her.

That was really something. Has anyone tried that?

I'm taking 4,000 mgs a day now.

Remy

Administrator
I talked with a German woman who is becoming a pediatrician.

She said pulsed, very high dose - > 20,000 - 60,000 mgs of Vitamin day - every 3 or 4 days worked for her.

That was really something. Has anyone tried that?

I'm taking 4,000 mgs a day now.
I think a lot of mainstream doctors are now recommending high dose D...typically 50K IU/week. Dr Ty Vincent of LDI recommends 10K IU/day to his patients.

I am on the fence about this treatment. I tend to agree with those who say we shouldn't take Vit D, that we should address the circumstances in our life that have allowed us to become light dysregulated and low in D in the first place.

I also had Very Bad Luck taking 10K IU/day of Vit D. I developed insomnia that took many months to abate and still is not back to where it was pre-D.

I actually think if people have luck with high doses of D it is because they are getting high levels of calcitriol out of conversion which affects calcium balance in the cells. I think it's correcting the high intracellular calcium that is responsible for the positive changes some see much more so than just increasing the number on a lab test next to Vit D.

Hope

I bought a vit D light and have been using it for about 6 weeks. My sleep is much better - deeper and I stay longer asleep. I've woken up in the morning at 6 am feeling good a few times too which hasn't happened in years. Such a lovely feeling...

Remy

Administrator
I bought a vit D light and have been using it for about 6 weeks. My sleep is much better - deeper and I stay longer asleep. I've woken up in the morning at 6 am feeling good a few times too which hasn't happened in years. Such a lovely feeling...
You bought the Sperti lamp? Do tell! I've been looking and looking at it...

Hope

Yes, the sperti lamp. There are others, it's not the only one but that's the one I went with.

Not sure how much UVA there is, but there's def enough UVB (the rays that get you producing Vit D) because my sleep has improved. That's the main reason I got it and it's working.

The only down side I've had so far, is it says to use it 3x a week max due to the UVA radiation, but the days I don't use it, I don't sleep as well. So i"ve been using it every day. I figure I'll eventually get up to a high enough level of Vit D that I won't need to use it every day. They say vit D from rays stays in your body for a while (unlike supplemental vit D) but am still waiting for that.
@Remy

ankaa

I think a lot of mainstream doctors are now recommending high dose D...typically 50K IU/week. Dr Ty Vincent of LDI recommends 10K IU/day to his patients.

I am on the fence about this treatment. I tend to agree with those who say we shouldn't take Vit D, that we should address the circumstances in our life that have allowed us to become light dysregulated and low in D in the first place.

I also had Very Bad Luck taking 10K IU/day of Vit D. I developed insomnia that took many months to abate and still is not back to where it was pre-D.

I actually think if people have luck with high doses of D it is because they are getting high levels of calcitriol out of conversion which affects calcium balance in the cells. I think it's correcting the high intracellular calcium that is responsible for the positive changes some see much more so than just increasing the number on a lab test next to Vit D.

Remy - I've used Solgar's Calcium/Vitamin D combo w good luck.. in fact, I take it before bed and I feel like I sleep better. Some supplements really need to be taken in combo w something else for the synergistic effects, and I believe that Calcium/Vitamin D is in that category... the calcium makes it much more relaxing!

ankaa

Yes, the sperti lamp. There are others, it's not the only one but that's the one I went with.

Not sure how much UVA there is, but there's def enough UVB (the rays that get you producing Vit D) because my sleep has improved. That's the main reason I got it and it's working.

The only down side I've had so far, is it says to use it 3x a week max due to the UVA radiation, but the days I don't use it, I don't sleep as well. So i"ve been using it every day. I figure I'll eventually get up to a high enough level of Vit D that I won't need to use it every day. They say vit D from rays stays in your body for a while (unlike supplemental vit D) but am still waiting for that.
@Remy

how is it different from other light lamps? I have one that has blue light, and another one (somewhere) that has white light... I have a much older version of this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M3SGD4Y/ref=vp_c_A3ME249HTRK1ES?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Zapped

Remy - I've used Solgar's Calcium/Vitamin D combo w good luck.. in fact, I take it before bed and I feel like I sleep better. Some supplements really need to be taken in combo w something else for the synergistic effects, and I believe that Calcium/Vitamin D is in that category... the calcium makes it much more relaxing!

I'm not meaning to butt-in a conversation but this thread may shed some insights to concerns:
"Autoimmune patients going into remission with Vit D protocol from brazilian Dr.."

It references Dr C's protocols and his cautions. As I understand it, Calcium and dairy are 2 of the cautions due to the possible formation of kidney stones, etc. Of course, caveat emptor - he advises each individual's regimen is different.

FWIW, I have been taking 100,000IU daily now for ~a month, along with the other
supplements referenced. I seem to do better with it but I need a blood test to
check kidneys and liver... . There's no way I can drink the 2.5 liters of water he
recommends daily:&

'Hope my 2 cents help. Otherwise, please excuse:)

Remy

Administrator
how is it different from other light lamps? I have one that has blue light, and another one (somewhere) that has white light... I have a much older version of this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M3SGD4Y/ref=vp_c_A3ME249HTRK1ES?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
It's different because the light spectrum produces Vit D. The other light source boxes don't.

I'm actually even more anti-D supplements now than when I wrote this. Small amounts like 400 IU are probably about the max I'd take.

Hope

@ankaa it sounds like you have lights for winter depression. I think the difference is they don't have uvb or at least not enough to make vit d.
@Empty could you say more about why you're against vit d supplementing?

Empty

@ankaa it sounds like you have lights for winter depression. I think the difference is they don't have uvb or at least not enough to make vit d.
@Empty could you say more about why you're against vit d supplementing?

Do you mean remy? @Hope Because I have not said that on this thread anyway...

I am going to cover vit d on "that other thread" of mine :)

Remy

Administrator
I have been trying to follow along with Dr Jack Kruse (although he makes it difficult!) but from what I have read, I have to agree with him that supplementing Vit D is a Very Bad Idea.

In a nutshell, humans were not meant to get Vit D orally, we are meant to get it through our skin. It doesn't work the same to take it orally.

Simply, it seems like Vit D is how we absorb the energy from the sun. This energy is crucial for driving our circadian rhythms and our biology in totality.

When we take Vit D orally, it seems like we short circuit this system entirely...we get the increase on our lab reports but the oral Vit D lacks the photons of the sun's energy. It's knocking but no one is actually there. It looks like Vit D, fits some of the receptors, but has little to none of the actual power of real sun driven Vit D.

And when we supplement, we stop ourselves from getting the real thing too because we break our negative feedback mechanism. Then we have the knock on effects to other vits...mainly A and K2 and calcium becomes dysregulated too.

It's just like empty calories...yes, those Doritos are technically "food" but they don't contain the power of real food like kale or good farm raised grass fed beef.

We have low D because we are disconnected from the light of the sun and spend too much time looking at artificial suns like our LED light bulbs, TVs, computers, tablets, phones, etc. Our bodies literally have no idea what time it is anymore and they do NOT like it. It's adding insult to injury to our chronically ill population that is then exacerbated when doctors start piling on the oral D supplements.

Dr. Jack Kruse

December 21, 2015 at 6:27pm·

My real concern: They also suffer from a more serious subclinical problem. They can never reverse their leaky gut due to chronic inflammation from a subclinical infection. Often they see a short improvement with the pill but it lasts 6-8 weeks. The reason for both of these clinical features is that they likely have a co morbid lack of Vitamin A in the diet (especially in winter) to offset the raised supplemental Vitamin D3. This rarely happens in subtropical areas but happens more frequently at latitudes above Atlanta in winter in the US. Each cell in our body has 2 vitamin A receptors for every Vitamin D receptor. We also have VDR's in our gut. So as our vitamin D level rises because we take the supplement orally we give our gut VDR's a falsely elevated signal. This changes optical signaling in the GALT and its T cells. The cells sense the D3 chemical signal but the tissues do not have the photon energy or momentum. and therefore there is not enough UV photon power within the tissues. As a result of feedback loops our endogenous Vitamin A source is used up even quicker and an imbalance results. We need to make sure we are getting enough of the fat soluble Vitamin A too as Vitamin D3 goes up from pills. rarely does this get spoken about in people outside the subtropics in autumn or winter. These two vitamins are metabolically coupled but one is made from UVB light and the other is made by the photoperiod of the day. This is probably the most common reason people have persistent bloating and cannot clear H Pylori or Candida infections from their guts when they are not getting a full spectrum sun signal to support the D3 chemical. I've seen this develop in people when they transition to a meat laden paleo template while supplementing Vitamin D3. It is rare in an epi-paleo Rx because seafood and mushrooms have a lot flesh that contain enough of the photonic power embedded in the food stuff. We are designed to make D3 from sunlight and not a pill. So if you have IBS be aware of this unusual possibility of you live further from the equator. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/304361.php?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5678245f04d30149b0c26741&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook
Low vitamin D levels associated with IBS

People with IBS have been found to have low levels of vitamin D, and those who have taken a supplement have found that it helped to improve their condition.
medicalnewstoday.com

Hope

Thanks @Remy. I read his stuff a year or two ago and that's why I started ocean swimming and cold baths. He's into cold therapy as well as sun.

I've cut back to using the sperti lamp 3x a week as my sleep is ok now on days I don't use it. So I think my levels have balanced, or the D is staying in my body longer. I sometimes forget the cofactors needed though - vit K, calcium, magnesium, boron. I try to have a bit of liver on hand for the vit K to go with the vit D lamp.

Remy

Administrator
Thanks @Remy. I read his stuff a year or two ago and that's why I started ocean swimming and cold baths. He's into cold therapy as well as sun.

I've cut back to using the sperti lamp 3x a week as my sleep is ok now on days I don't use it. So I think my levels have balanced, or the D is staying in my body longer. I sometimes forget the cofactors needed though - vit K, calcium, magnesium, boron. I try to have a bit of liver on hand for the vit K to go with the vit D lamp.
I want a Sperti lamp too!

I wish I could get into a cold bath. I'm so cold averse but I know it is healthful!

Lissa

I have been trying to follow along with Dr Jack Kruse (although he makes it difficult!) but from what I have read, I have to agree with him that supplementing Vit D is a Very Bad Idea.

Wow -- I think I read (in the text box here) that BLOATING was associated with taking supplemental D3 and eating Paleo. WOW. Could THAT be what is going on here? Been taking 5000/day for a few years now. Inexplicable bloating for a looooooong time.

Just recently I switched formulas and am doing a D3/A/K mix with only 2000 of D3. I will now keep an eye on the gut symptoms with that in mind. If it were summer again, I'd drop it altogether and sit outside instead!

Thanks for the informative post @Remy!

Remy

Administrator
Wow -- I think I read (in the text box here) that BLOATING was associated with taking supplemental D3 and eating Paleo.
I read that with interest too because bloating is a huge problem for me...but I think mast cell stuff can also cause bloating. I haven't taken D3 in a while and I still look like I'm expecting, unfortunately.

Lissa

I read that with interest too because bloating is a huge problem for me...but I think mast cell stuff can also cause bloating. I haven't taken D3 in a while and I still look like I'm expecting, unfortunately.

Yep - I can totally relate. Even with H1 & H2 blockers, Mast Cell stabilizers, and trying to eat low histamine, I am Bloaty McBloatBelly. It's a never ending battle --- Fun times!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources