Struggles in Faith

Discussion in 'Recovery Stories' started by Curly, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Curly

Curly Member

I'm 24 and have had CFS for 2 years. The improvement in the last 6 months has been amazing. Everything is slowly but surely improving. But one thing that I seemed to have left behind is my faith.

I have been brought up in a Christian household. Throughout my childhood and teenage years I went to church regularly, sang in the worship group and considered myself strong in faith. However when CFS came along that disappeared very quickly. I felt completely alone and became very depressed. Thankfully I am out of that now but still my faith is nowhere.

I think my main feeling is anger. I was in a very good job helping people. I went from that to being unable to move from the sofa let alone work. I will never be able to work in my past career options again due to the physical elements of the job. I have basically had to start again. Everything has been put on hold. I used to say everything happens for a reason but what is the reason for this?

If anyone is going through similar feelings please do share .Would appreciate any advice on how to move forward with faith.

Many thanks

Ellen

Not dead yet! likes this.
  2. Not dead yet!

Not dead yet! Well-Known Member

I've been improving too. I started going to a Unitarian Universalist church. It's definitely different, but I appreciate their moral dedication. I'll miss the ritual, but I won't miss the competitive "what do you do?" question in the coffee hour. People there are too busy setting up the next event, organizing some activism thing... etc. And when I mentioned I had mobility issues, their reaction wasn't negative in the least. Even if that's not your cup of tea, I hope you find your way back to a church that supports you.

Curly likes this.
  3. Curly

Curly Member

Thanks for that! It's so lovely to hear you've managed to keep faith and a find a church that supports you. I'm from the UK and have never heard of Unitarian Universalist. Just looked it up and it looks very interesting! I hope you continue to improve.

Thanks again

Not dead yet! likes this.
  4. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I too was brought up in so called christian home, but dad confessed when he was dying, he never believed. I started struggling with it all in my mid 30's and finally by my 60's let go...

I too attended Unitarian and then found Science of Mind which for me, was king of them all. Helped me so much when I found it in the 80's...

Now at almost 80, no religion but love the principles of Science of Mind...all positive good stuff. No guilt, no sin no no no...

Not dead yet! and Curly like this.
  5. Curly

Curly Member

Thank you so much for your reply. Great to hear! Hope you are keeping well.