Poll Where Does it Hurt? the Pain Poll

If you experience pain - where does it typically occur? Choose up to four areas.

• Head

Votes: 40 48.2%
  • Neck

Votes: 59 71.1%
  • Throat

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Shoulders

Votes: 60 72.3%
  • Chest

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Gut

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Arms and/or hands

Votes: 41 49.4%
  • Pelvic area

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Legs

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • Feet

Votes: 23 27.7%

• Total voters

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
shoulder-pain.jpg

If you have problems with pain - where does it typically show up? Head? Gut? Hands? Chest. Let us know!

Also if you have any remedies for head, neck or shoulder pain - please leave an idea on this thread.

Last edited:

Betty

Microwave Carex Bed Buddy Hot/Cold Pack and place on affected area, especially shoulder and neck usually helps pain.
Also, an epsom salt with baking soda or white vinegar bath.

Zapped

Mine starts in back, below the ribs then works around the entire rib cage. The area and surrounds feel inflamed.
The intensity is directly correlated to stress (physical or even mental effort, e.g. researching something. As it
intensifies 'Fog' noticeably rears its head. If I don't back off at this point I know the affects and P.E.M. will grow
proportionately.

Having never described my ME in this manner makes me wonder if others experience this phenomena?

Betty

I have that as well. However, mine happens for different reasons-dehydration, headache, eye strain, migraine, etc.
Water, eye drops, an eye mask, a cold gel pack, resting, eye exercise, and neti pot has helped me; accordingly

Cort

Staff member
Microwave Carex Bed Buddy Hot/Cold Pack and place on affected area, especially shoulder and neck usually helps pain.
Also, an epsom salt with baking soda or white vinegar bath.
Thanks Betty :)

Mary Anne

We're only allowed 4 choices, otherwise I would have marked all of them. Pain seems to roam around my body, looking for an optimal place to hang out. The worst is the pain that hugs my ribs and feels like I'm being squeezed and next is the pain in my shoulders and neck area. I use arnica gel and take homeopathic arnica tablets and do get some relief if I start right away when the pain is just building.

Diana Maus

From the beginning, it was always head neck and shoulders, and still is neck and shoulders. But added to that is sacroiliac and sacral, lumbar pain - deep pain that comes and goes. Other muscles and tendons act up sporadically. IBS causes pain that comes and goes too. Used to have migraines all the time. Better now that I am older. Right now the low back pain has been fierce and at the same time as cervical neck pain. This weekend I felt like I fell off a roof onto the upper right side of my body and shoulder! It takes days to unwind that sort of pain.

Diana Maus

I take Tylenol when pain gets bad because I can't take anti-inflammatories any more. I use an ice pack for low back pain and how shower to loosen neck pain. Nothing works sometimes.

sharonklb

I have always had problems with pain in my wrists and feet and migraines...it is like a knawing pain...from the inside! It is sharp and takes me by surprise, but over the last year (I have had it since 2008) I have had extensive tests for abdominal swelling...I look 8 months pregnant and a CT scan showed up thinning of the spine and hips...my back pain causes me problems when walking now too.
Combine the pain with the cognitive problems and brain fog (although a recent neuropsychiatrist in the UK describes me as lacking in attention and gave me the most brutal physical exam), I am rendered useless from the healthy,active person I used to be:(

VLynx

My worst symptom isn't listed. Eye pain. Pain behind my eyes with constant irritation and dryness. The level of pain/irritation coincides with how I am feeling in general. This has been one constant over the 28 years I've had CFS.

Yes, my eyes are a constant source of pain. Primarily from dryness. So persistent that I forget that it is there even though it is a significant irritant.

VLynx

View attachment 239

If you have problems with pain - where does it typically show up? Head? Gut? Hands? Chest. Let us know!

Also if you have any remedies for head, neck or shoulder pain - please leave an idea on this thread.

I use the Thermacare neck heating pads. They last many hours (far longer than things you heat in a microwave) and you can go about your day with one attached.

Cort

Staff member
Yes, my eyes are a constant source of pain. Primarily from dryness. So persistent that I forget that it is there even though it is a significant irritant.
Have you been checked for Sjogren's - the lip biopsy test?

Cort

Staff member
I have always had problems with pain in my wrists and feet and migraines...it is like a knawing pain...from the inside! It is sharp and takes me by surprise, but over the last year (I have had it since 2008) I have had extensive tests for abdominal swelling...I look 8 months pregnant and a CT scan showed up thinning of the spine and hips...my back pain causes me problems when walking now too.
Combine the pain with the cognitive problems and brain fog (although a recent neuropsychiatrist in the UK describes me as lacking in attention and gave me the most brutal physical exam), I am rendered useless from the healthy,active person I used to be:(
Darn! Do they know why you're having the thinning of the spine and hips? Can it be reversed?

Cort

Staff member
Mine starts in back, below the ribs then works around the entire rib cage. The area and surrounds feel inflamed.
The intensity is directly correlated to stress (physical or even mental effort, e.g. researching something. As it
intensifies 'Fog' noticeably rears its head. If I don't back off at this point I know the affects and P.E.M. will grow
proportionately.

Having never described my ME in this manner makes me wonder if others experience this phenomena?
Interesting...I experience tightness around the ribs and if I touch the tips of my ribs they're painful...Maybe I have milder version?

Cort

Staff member
proportionately.

Interesting...I experience tightness around the ribs and if I touch the tips of my ribs they're painful...Maybe I have milder version?

frenchgirl

Mine is mainly in my back and lumbar area and that wasn't listed. Also periodically get very bad rib pain as others have described. The ends of my bones in my shoulders hurt too. Prospect of future years of pain hard to face up to.

Folk

My pains are normally in muscles.
Lower back, legs, arround the neck.

But the worst pain I ever felt in my life was in my gut, after a SIBO test... that strangely enough was negative...

It was like going into labour.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources