How to Be Homebound

How to Be Homebound

Home Meals
Many areas have meals-on-wheels or similar programs that deliver meals to you. These programs will often be free or low cost. Even if the program says it is for Seniors, you should still call them. Sometimes they will deliver to younger people with disabilities. Contact meals on wheels or your local area agency on aging to see if there is a program in your area.

Home Nurses & Doctors
Both Medicare and Medicaid may provide home visits from doctors. Some other insurance programs will also pay for this service. As you may have figured out, it is not that easy to find a doctor who will come to your house! Here are some ideas for: How to Find a Nurse or Doctor who Can Come to Your House

Home Aides and Caregivers
There are a variety of programs that provide services in the home. Many programs are free, or it is possible to pay and hire a caregiver. Caregiving services may include personal care (bathing, eating, dressing), household help (shopping, cooking, cleaning), medication management, driving to doctor's appointments, and mental health support. Learn more.

Finding the Best People to Live With
When you are homebound, the people in your house matter a LOT. Those are the only people you see! Here's How to Find Wonderful Housemates
& Caregivers

Medications
Some local pharmacies will deliver to your home. You can also fill prescriptions through online pharmacies, and some will accept insurance. I have heard good things about pill pack.

Groceries
So many people wrote me with good ideas for grocery shopping, I had to create a new page! How to Shop Without Standing Up

Door-To-Door Transportation
Most cities, and some rural areas, have para-transit programs that will take you anywhere. Many will go anywhere in your city, and sometimes they will travel to other areas. These programs are free or low-cost. In some areas, these programs are difficult to qualify for and in other areas they are very easy to get into. Contact the public transportation agency in your area. How Roselyn Got Approved for Paratransit by Using the Magic Words

Taxis to Doctors (Medicaid)
Medicaid will provide free transportation to all your doctor's appointments. Contact your Medicaid provider for more details. In some areas, you will need to apply for this. In other areas, you do not need to apply and if you are on Medicaid, you can get this automatically.

Social Change
This is an important time for people with disabilities to be included. You can vote at home by absentee ballot. You can also make your voice heard. You do not have to leave the house, or even leave your bed! How to #Resist Without Using All Your Spoons.

Connection
If you are interested in connected with other advocates with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, there are many ways to get involved from home: How to be Part of the #MEAction

Online Support
There are many wonderful forums right here at Health Rising (in my opinion the best ME website forum!!). Also, you may wish to check out this Facebook Support group for people with ME or CFS who are homebound or bedridden.

Local Resources
Many areas have local organizations and groups that assist people in need. Your local area agency on aging can be a great resource (call here even if you are young). I cannot find a national directory. Try googling the name of your state and the words: area aging agency. You can also try contacting Centers for Independent Living in your area, or directly reaching out to senior centers, religious groups, and local charity groups.

Tips from the Pros
Tips from readers on how to make life easier at home: How to Get the World to Come to You
  • f276f61d11251feb03b30ab0113a95a4.jpg
    f276f61d11251feb03b30ab0113a95a4.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 409
  • fab91b17f1c5a104acd905e6c151fe26.jpg
    fab91b17f1c5a104acd905e6c151fe26.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 543
Author
Kit Cat
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Kit Cat

Latest updates

1. How to Be Homebound: New! Fancy! Updated!

Including: - How to Shop Without Standing Up - How to Get a Free Caregiver Through the...

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources