Medical Tests for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

A whole lot of tests

1. Kit Cat
    Compiled by Lily Silver

A list of medical tests for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Please comment to share your ideas to improve this list.

The Social Security Ruling for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome includes a list of tests that can be helpful for applying for disability. In addition, the ruling recognizes "any other laboratory findings consistent with medically-accepted clinical practice." So, any of the other tests on this page also has the potential to be helpful. This ruling is for disability applications in the US. Most other references on this page are international.

The Myalgic Encephalomyelitis International Consensus Primer for Medical Practitioners includes a long list of tests. On page 10 there is a three-page worksheet that can be printed and filled out by a doctor. This booklet is written for doctors, so it's going to be difficult for us normal folk to understand.

The Hummingbird Foundation website includes a: Short list of names of tests, plus a longer summary of each test, plus an even longer detailed explanation of each test.

A lists of tests is available on the website for the Treatment Center for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. They also publish a longer guide explaining tests in more detail.

The IACFSME published an ME/CFS Primer for Clinical Practitioners that includes a long helpful list of tests.

Katherine T Owen has compiled an excellent list and explanation of various Chronic Fatigue Syndrome tests on her blog Healing CFS/ME (keep scrolling down, the list is in the middle of the page). Includes special information on laboratory testing in the UK.

The ME/CFS Roadmap for Testing and Treatment was created by an ME/CFS patient. It includes excellent, detailed information on testing and interpretation of test results.

The Nightingale Research Foundation Definition of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis includes a list of tests for ME, plus tests for related conditions that occur in ME patients.

The two-day CPET test is used by some people in disability claims. What's a CPET? How do I get one? Do I want one? Learn more about the CPET.

If you have other conditions or impairments, you may wish to check out this list of how to Collect Medical Evidence for Other Conditions

Readers Report

CPET tests are often used to help with LTD (disability through your employer). Here's How Dahlia Used a CPET to win disability through her employer. And here's How Iris Got a CPET

A tilt table test is a test used to document changes in blood pressure and heart rate for patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Some readers report that beta blockers or other medications can interfere with the test results.

Some people who cannot get a tilt table test, instead try the NASA Lean Test (a "poor man's tilt table test"). It does not require special equipment and any doctor can do it if they are willing. Some people have had success printing out the form and instructions, bringing it to their doctor, and requesting a special appointment to perform the test.

In addition to the list of tests, the International Consensus Criteria also includes helpful guidelines on symptoms and impairments from Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. Here's How Colleen Used the ICC to Finally Get a Diagnosis that Fit

Which of these tests helped people the most? Glad you asked. Cort Johnson from Health Rising asked 800 people this question. Here is their list of Which Tests Helped the Most (click on "View results" to see what everyone answered).
    Cort and Merida like this.

Recent Reviews

1. Cort
    Cort
    5/5,
    Another winner from Kit Kat! As always - practical and thorough assistance - Lily's trademark :)
  2. Merida
    Merida
    5/5,
    Great!!
  3. laureano
    laureano
    5/5,
    very useful!
  4. Empty
    Empty
    5/5,
    Very thorough, practical guidance.